JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles

Requesting assistance from folks who have conquered calf ridge

Its time for me to renew my fight with calf ridge. I have a JRB BMBH and I couldn’t be happier, but having said that, I still want to try to make a GE work for me.

I’m curious if anyone has overcome calf ridge with any specific fabric or hammock feature such as double layer; or did heavier fabric help; are is stretchy fabric better or worse?

I’ve watched Shug’s calf ridge video, but I still have the problem. His method of pushing your feet across to push away the calf ridge works, right up until I add the UQ and I’m wiggling into the TQ, then it is not as effective.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It still happens from time to time.
    Try placing your buttocks in different spots right or left.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It still happens from time to time.
    Try placing your buttocks in different spots right or left.
    Shug
    Thanks for the quick reply Shug. I have tried that, as well as lengthening my SRL, shortening it, and going without a SRL. At this point I'm wondering if its my hammock (Dutchware netless 1.6 Hexon). I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with this hammock. I also get a calf ridge with a Trek Lite GE hammock. I'm certain the issue is me. I have wondered if a knotty mod would help.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    inflatable pillow or a stuff sack filled with clothes under your knees.

A Knotty mod only takes up slack on the hammock edge. Won't affect lay.

In my experience, having the foot end adequately high and being at the correct diagonal lay seems to eliminate or minimize the ridge.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get yourself a bridge hammock and be done with it

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Are you "testing" it in the same area? When I did this in my basement with fixed points, there seemed to be no solution. But when I took it on a trip and set up, even quite hastily, it was fine, every time.

I don't really understand this since I calculated the hang just right, but that's how it was.

Other than varying the setup (mostly foot end higher), the fabric seems to matter a lot. I like a slightly stretchy/light/soft material. The 1.6 Argon was the ticket for me. I have no desire to try any more because I finally hit the "if it's not broke don't fix it" stage.

Images

The solution is simple and works 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Shug. I have tried that, as well as lengthening my SRL, shortening it, and going without a SRL. At this point I'm wondering if its my hammock (Dutchware netless 1.6 Hexon). I am in no way saying there is anything wrong with this hammock. I also get a calf ridge with a Trek Lite GE hammock. I'm certain the issue is me. I have wondered if a knotty mod would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
    inflatable pillow or a stuff sack filled with clothes under your knees.

Elmer, in the last year or two(or maybe longer if you consider my preference for bridge hammocks) I gave up on trying to find the GE hammock that never has calf ridge. The best I can do is come up with some that either usually have less of it, or don't have any- most or some of the time. I purchased a couple of highly praised 11 footers that still did not completely solve the problem for me.They are pretty dang good, but still no guarantees on any given night. And in fact, my favs for this one problem are still some of my shorter hammocks. Why am I always the weirdo when it comes to several hammock related matters? Hammock length/Calf ridge/bridge shoulder squeeze/VBs, HHSSs, etc? I don't know, but I just call em as I see em based on personal experience. But back to calf ridge: my best remains, in approximate order of less calf ridge; Claytor No Net(10ft), Swithchback 10ft, Speer 8.5(def <9ft), HH Safari(about 12 ft) HH Explorer UL (probably about 10.5 feet). Everything else is either no better or worse, except of course bridge and 90*HT, which are the champs. The short Speer is actually probably the most consistent for zero calf ridge, but has some knee extension for trade off, and is pretty poor for side unless I pull my knees way up, then it is as good as any. Probably the least likely to give me either calf ridge or knee extension is the Claytor No Net, but still no guarantees. I have been on week long trips with it, and all nights were great except one at the end, which was miserable with leg related discomfort. That has happened twice, both times at the end of a week of backpacking. The second time I was able to finally solve it by getting the foot end way high.

True, positioning, hammock tension and correct foot height are important. But I can not repeat perfectly night to night. The only guarantee are bridges and 90HT(but the latter can have some knee extension with a pad)

But if I want to keep it simple and use a GE- really better in several tarp related ways, as well as no spreader bars- or if I want to use my HHSS, I no longer worry about which GE hammock is the best. They are all the same to me, one is as comfy as the next, and very comfy indeed. If I choose between them, it will based on something other than comfort. And I certainly won't worry about trying to get the perfect hang and position in an attempt to escape calf pain. I just use Lev's $1 ultimate Knee Pillow Hack, and be done with the cursed problem. And increase over all comfort as well. End of several problems in one fell swoop.

Just get some light weight air tight bag of some sort, maybe serving dual use as a stuff sack. Trap some air in it and seal the end with cords or rubber bands. Often time I then stuff that in the larger sack that I carry my entire HHSS and TQ in. I prefer too not have it too wide, about the same as the width of both knees, to minimize interference with TQ/leg area, but YMMV. You can also decrease the knee pillow thickness if there are any TQ problems, to just enough to = zero calf ridge. I put that under my knees, and not only is all calf ridge and knee extension history, but foot and lower back comfort is improved. I could probably make an argument for using this in a bridge or 90HT to increase over all comfort. It also increases side comfort by placing it between my legs.

Or, any other way you can contrive to come up with some sort of fat knee pillow will work about as well. And then it doesn't much matter which hammock you are using, huge comfort will be all but guaranteed and about equal in all of them. I knew the potential for this from the beginning. After all, I was going to work every day, providing the anesthesia for my patients having cataract surgery under local anesthesia, and it was routine to place pillows under their knees. Even on a padded, flat OR bed, these pillows greatly increased their comfort. But I wasted a lot of years trying to find the magic GE hammock that did not have leg comfort problems. But no more. Problem solved. So why waste time trying to find the perfect hammock, or then consistently trying to find the perfect hang and perfect position night after night? When I can make a fat knee pillow from what I have with me any way, and make any hammock more comfy overall and solve two pesky problems for good?

There Ya go, problem conquered and solved forever with all hammocks. Enjoy.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-20-2019 at 12:51.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Only way I can completely do away with the calf ridge is with something under my knees be it a pack or a stuff sack full of clothing. I think I have done everything that can be done, higher foot, lower foot, shorter ridgeline, longer ridgeline, move butt left & right, 11' er, 12' er...the list goes on. My best lay is either in my HH or in my 12'er but I still have some ridge line issues. Now I just fill a stuff sack with clothing and stick a fork in it!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Are you "testing" it in the same area? When I did this in my basement with fixed points, there seemed to be no solution. But when I took it on a trip and set up, even quite hastily, it was fine, every time.

I don't really understand this since I calculated the hang just right, but that's how it was.

Other than varying the setup (mostly foot end higher), the fabric seems to matter a lot. I like a slightly stretchy/light/soft material. The 1.6 Argon was the ticket for me. I have no desire to try any more because I finally hit the "if it's not broke don't fix it" stage.
    My test area is the same two trees in my back woods, but there are no fixed points. The property has a good slope so determining if the foot end is high enough can be an issue. I think the foot height issue may be part of my problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast