Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I've read a few posts where folks have successfully used the Wooki on non-Warbonnet hammocks. So it'll definitely work. The Wooki is a great set-it-and-forget-it option; but it does have a couple trade-offs imo. Because there is minimal/no insulation on the sides, you may find it sleeps a little cooler than a traditional underquilt- particularly if you like to spread out and sleep in the "Figure 4" position. I'm a figure 4 sleeper, and notice that even though my leg is still inside my top quilt, if there is no underquilt surrounding it, it will get a little cold- because the TQ insulation compresses when the knee is pressed against it.

I personally like having some additional insulation on my sides. That way I don't have to be as conscious of where my body is positioned in relation to my UQ.
    That's interesting I've found the opposite. Also a figure 4 sleeper and also a side sleeper.

I've got a video using a wookie on a chameleon and had a dialogue in the comments about using a wookie and the different length combos.

Adding some cord on your CLs allow you to vent and adjust where the quilt lines up with your particular sweet spot.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    That's interesting I've found the opposite. Also a figure 4 sleeper and also a side sleeper.

I've got a video using a wookie on a chameleon and had a dialogue in the comments about using a wookie and the different length combos.

Adding some cord on your CLs allow you to vent and adjust where the quilt lines up with your particular sweet spot.
    How do you find the Wooki to work with your sleeping style? Do you notice any difference in warmth when you "spread out" as opposed to a traditional UQ that envelopes your body?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I find the Wooki to be warmer than any other underquilt I used before, and I sleep super cold. However, I too think it could be a bit more snug against the shoulder and feet. It acts like a secondary hammock under the primary hammock, and if you put substantial weight on the shoulder or feet, it snugs up. But just the weight of my shoulder or feet is not quite sufficient and the colder it is, the more I feel it. My plan of dealing with it was opening the foot end whip and rewhip it without the help of the channel, so I can pull out the corners a bit. In theory this should tighten the sides and pull them more against me. But I haven't yet gotten around to it.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I find the Wooki to be warmer than any other underquilt I used before, and I sleep super cold. However, I too think it could be a bit more snug against the shoulder and feet. It acts like a secondary hammock under the primary hammock, and if you put substantial weight on the shoulder or feet, it snugs up. But just the weight of my shoulder or feet is not quite sufficient and the colder it is, the more I feel it. My plan of dealing with it was opening the foot end whip and rewhip it without the help of the channel, so I can pull out the corners a bit. In theory this should tighten the sides and pull them more against me. But I haven't yet gotten around to it.
    This gathering method will work. You can also create a reverse cat cut in a roll rem form on the ends to accomplish the same thing.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    This gathering method will work. You can also create a reverse cat cut in a roll rem form on the ends to accomplish the same thing.
    Yeah, I don't trust my sewing skills that much I'd rather do something that I can reverse. Especially since I haven't tested it thoroughly, yet. It might be an idea for a synthetic Wooki clone, though. It depends on which approach works better and is easier to do.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yeah, I don't trust my sewing skills that much I'd rather do something that I can reverse. Especially since I haven't tested it thoroughly, yet. It might be an idea for a synthetic Wooki clone, though. It depends on which approach works better and is easier to do.
    I made 3 Synthetic Wooki-type quilts over the weekend and they worked out pretty well. I also have a down wooki-type that has the channels shaped like mentioned above and it works really well. I definitely think just whipping it and pulling the sides out will work great.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    How do you find the Wooki to work with your sleeping style? Do you notice any difference in warmth when you "spread out" as opposed to a traditional UQ that envelopes your body?
    Early on but I found that I was slipping down a bit after getting in the hammock than where I put myself to test. where I'd start laying and actually end up, especially in a down and dirty hang job, were different. I would sometimes slide down, especially going figure 4 or fetal. That was moving me out of the pocket.

So I adjusted the UQ, specifically the insulated portion, more towards my foot end of the hammock. That covered all my different sleeping positions.

I actually kept using the figure 4 position, testing for cold spots on my knee until the main pocket of the UQ was where I wanted it and they were gone. These are one time adjustments by moving my attatchement prusiks.

https://youtu.be/sZLOohju7dk
    Last edited by Red Wing; 02-20-2019 at 18:07.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I must simply be lucky. I've used my wooki with a DH Raven and Sparrow with no problems what so ever. However, since I lengthen the SRL in both the WBBB XLC and Sparrow I add a little extra to the wooki with a bike inner tube ring and/or a tiny non-structural carabiner for using with the Sparrow.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    Mixed experiences huh? Not making my decision any easier...

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch 1.5 Spider
    I also noticed my darien doesnt have big whipped ends like the Warbonnet products which the wookie uses for an attachment point. There are so many doo-dads out there that Im sure I could find something to attach the wookie to the darien with.

I could also see the difference in width possibly being an issue. It appears that the sides kinda just hang there unless pressure is being applied to it. With the wookie being 2 inches wider, I wonder if that would cause more of a gap and more likely to let cold air in? Or.... it might have the opposite effect...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast