Need UQ suggestion for Newbie - DH Raven

Hi everyone. I just received my first hammock from DH. I went with the Raven 11-foot, single layer, which is not an asym.

Since I'm new to hammocks, I'm looking for suggestions on an under quilt for DH Raven. I plan on doing only 3-season hammocking, and probably won't get below 50-60 degrees this year. Also, I want to try to keep it kind of inexpensive, if possible, and eventually save up for a better UQ when I have the funds.

Suggestions? Or do you think I can skip the UQ, and go with a pad like Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol with a 2.6 R Value.

I'll also keep an eye on the For Sale section here. I'm not against used gear!

Thanks!
    "How's it hanging?"
    -Anonymous

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Any UQ will work on the Raven. Used several on mine.
    Pad will work too though.
    Enjoy it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I don't think you'll be very happy with a pad in a single-layer hammock. If you were to ask DH, you'd get a recommendation for something from UGQ. And that would be a very good idea. That said, several of the other vendors here also make top-notch UQs.

If it were me in your boat, I'd strive to eventually have a full-length 20 degree UQ. I don't think anything else would be as versatile. If that cost doesn't match your current budget, how about a synthetic UQ, perhaps from AHE? You don't mention if backpacking will be part of your hanging. That certainly can affect any purchase with respect to weight and bulk.

If funds are really tight and you don't mind doing a bit of DIY, there are options to explore in the DIY sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFartzalotte View Post
    Hi everyone. I just received my first hammock from DH. I went with the Raven 11-foot, single layer, which is not an asym.

Since I'm new to hammocks, I'm looking for suggestions on an under quilt for DH Raven. I plan on doing only 3-season hammocking, and probably won't get below 50-60 degrees this year. Also, I want to try to keep it kind of inexpensive, if possible, and eventually save up for a better UQ when I have the funds.

Suggestions? Or do you think I can skip the UQ, and go with a pad like Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol with a 2.6 R Value.

I'll also keep an eye on the For Sale section here. I'm not against used gear!

Thanks!
    I've actually found I prefer a single layer with a pad. Inserted between the layers on a double I find it would still move vs. Anchoring it in the footbox of my tq.

There are PLUQs Pocho Liner Inder Quilts that could be no see DIYd for however cheap you can find a military poncho liner. Also called a woobie.

There are Costco Down Throws that can be DIYed into UQs and TQs. On auction sites they can be found for cheap already altered.

Then you have the HG econ series.

Partial length should work fine at those temps, especially with a sit pad in your TQ footbox.

Good luck with your search

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Terrapin outfitters has a 40deg UQ that would work!

Images
    In that temperature range, i would consider a costco blanket mod. If DIY isn't your thing, Hammock Gear Econ line would be a good step up.

Thanks! I was thinking about trying the Costco throw, but they don't sell them any longer. I found them being sold on EBay, but I checked out hammockgear econ line, and that may fit my budget.

On their website, their Econ Incubator even features a video by the famous Shug on adjusting it to the hammock! So I got my daily dose of Woo Buddy!
    "How's it hanging?"
    -Anonymous

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Outdoor vitals sells a uq/to/ sleeping bag all in one for 69$ I believe it’s called the roost 40 deg underquilt

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFartzalotte View Post
    Thanks! I was thinking about trying the Costco throw, but they don't sell them any longer. I found them being sold on EBay, but I checked out hammockgear econ line, and that may fit my budget.

On their website, their Econ Incubator even features a video by the famous Shug on adjusting it to the hammock! So I got my daily dose of Woo Buddy!
    You can't go wrong with HG's Econ line. They are excellent quilts! I own Loco Libre's Saver Series- which is the same fabric/fill power as the HG Econ. Honestly, there is nothing "Econ" about these quilts. They are very much a premium product from a construction/feel perspective.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I think you should get a 30° UQ that is symmetrical so you don’t lose the option to lay either way which is the best feature of the Raven. A 30° isn’t too bulky, but still warm enough for unexpected dips. You’d be surprised how cold it can get from time to time, even in summer.

• + New Posts