Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly

Sparrow ordered! Trigger pulled!

I'm new to hammocking and just ordered my first hammock. I've been reading the posts, forums, and literature. It took me about a month and a half of evaluating (hopefully) every angle possible! I went with the Dream Hammock Sparrow. Randy has helped me out a lot with this order and I can't wait for it! The customization options on these hammocks are... absolutely insane. Now i just need to find right tarp!

Thanks for everyone's help and the dream hammock team! Here's to patience.

Here are the details!
    Sparrow
    Net & Overcover
    Length: 11ft
    Width: Special Width
    Special Width: 61"
    Layers: Single
    Outside Layer Fabric: 1.7oz MTN-XL
    Outside Layer Color: Dark Olive
    Inside Layer Fabric-Use Only For Double Layer Hammocks: None
    Overcover Fabric: 1.6oz HyperD Diamond Ripstop
    Overcover Color - Foliage
    Lay Direction: Right Asym - Head-L Feet-R
    Suspension: Whoopie Sling
    Tree Straps: 10ft
    UQ Hooks-Tie Out Hooks: Both
    Ridgeline Organizer: No

I will be soon riding my bicycle cross country and ACTUALLY getting a good nights sleep! Who woulda thought!
    Last edited by Mellow_Ledbetter; 02-19-2019 at 16:49. Reason: changed "tent" to hammock. Can you tell I'm new?
    - Led

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Yeah, the Smurfs are unbelievably helpful. It's been great to work with them to refine the details of my hammock order!

Regarding your search for a tarp, I will say that I just got my WB Superfly about a month ago. I've used it once with my HH Expedition a-sym classic, switching out the standard HH tarp, and I love the Superfly!

But, other than that, I'll defer to the many folks around here with far more experience with a much wider variety of tarps than I have. Lots of great options out there, depending on what you need and want!

Considering that you'll be bike-packing, do you plan to keep your bike under the tarp at night and in inclement weather?

Enjoy!

Sleepy
    Last edited by Sleepy Sasquatch; 02-19-2019 at 17:37.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    congrats on the new hammock. I got mine back in October or November can't remember which and have yet to get to sleep in it it's been raining most every weekend since then and the weekends its not raining I can't go camping.

for the tarp check out simply light designs also
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Great purchase, you'll love it!
    I just got to use my Sparrow last weekend for the first time, and couldn't be happier! I was pretty sold on the Sparrow from all the positive videos and reviews online, but talking with Randy while browsing his website and answering all my questions is what sealed the deal. It won't be my last purchase from them!!
    Hopefully you'll get yours soon, I bought one of the RTS so my wait was minimal.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Sasquatch View Post
    Regarding your search for a tarp, I will say that I just got my WB Superfly about a month ago. I've used it once with my HH Expedition a-sym classic, switching out the standard HH tarp, and I love the Superfly!

But, other than that, I'll defer to the many folks around here with far more experience with a much wider variety of tarps than I have. Lots of great options out there, depending on what you need and want!

Considering that you'll be bike-packing, do you plan to keep your bike under the tarp at night and in inclement weather?

Enjoy!

Sleepy
    Thanks for the reply, Sleepy! I've heard a lot of good things about the WB Superfly. My main goals with a tarp would be to get something that can sustain the weather in the winter, but also not be too "much" tarp for the summer months. I don't know if that makes sense! Also - can the WB superfly go porch mode? I'm still trying to understand the terminology.

I haven't thought of that yet regarding the bikes safety. My primary concern would be theft, which makes me want to lock it up to whatever tree I use. But it's also a nice bike, so I'm concerned about what happens to it in weather. Do you have any recommendations?

Take care!
    - Led

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by TyRod View Post
    Great purchase, you'll love it!
    I just got to use my Sparrow last weekend for the first time, and couldn't be happier! I was pretty sold on the Sparrow from all the positive videos and reviews online, but talking with Randy while browsing his website and answering all my questions is what sealed the deal. It won't be my last purchase from them!!
    Hopefully you'll get yours soon, I bought one of the RTS so my wait was minimal.
    Right on! I'm glad you like yours. I got a lot of custom work done, so I think it will take a while. Which is fine. Having the patience will be difficult but it's worth it!
    - Led

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow_Ledbetter View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Sleepy! I've heard a lot of good things about the WB Superfly. My main goals with a tarp would be to get something that can sustain the weather in the winter, but also not be too "much" tarp for the summer months. I don't know if that makes sense! Also - can the WB superfly go porch mode? I'm still trying to understand the terminology.

I haven't thought of that yet regarding the bikes safety. My primary concern would be theft, which makes me want to lock it up to whatever tree I use. But it's also a nice bike, so I'm concerned about what happens to it in weather. Do you have any recommendations?

Take care!
    Hey, Led!

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can, but I would definitely recommend that you start a new thread in the "Hammock Camping>Weather Protection" subforum to get the best possible advice, since my experience is mostly with the HH fly that came with my HH hammock.

There are a number of outstanding tarps out there and some may be really well-tailored to your specific needs as a bike-packer--I hadn't even thought about needing to lock up the bike at night, which is a really good point! I'm sure there are plenty of people on HF who can give you really expert advice about those kinds of things!

To your question, yes, the Superfly can be used in Porch Mode. (I'll probably usually only use a "Half Porch Mode", though, since I use a single wooden hiking staff instead of a pair of trekking poles.)

There are also (at least?) two types of tent-pole mods you can get and use with the Superfly (and some other tarps, too). I've linked to a couple of Shug's videos that talk about those kinds of things:

1) Panel Pull Pole Mod. This vid is primarily about the AMOK Draumr XL hammock and how it works with the Superfly, but it does show the panel pull poles on his Superfly.

2) Center Pole Mod. I think this tarp is one he made himself, if I remember correctly, and it shows his center pole mod in action.

I mention these because using something like that might help provide you the extra space needed for keeping the bike out of the elements--but, again, I don't know what the best thing is to do to secure the bike from theft.

I hope that helps, at least as a start!

Sleepy
    Last edited by Sleepy Sasquatch; 02-20-2019 at 17:19.

• + New Posts