Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Down Top Quilt (EE Revelation Clone)

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to share the product of my recent DIY adventure into making a down top quilt. I built a 30 degree one, sized wide for ground use as well, somewhat cloned from Enlightened Equipment Revelation's baffle design. I went with an insulated footbox and sewed it closed to about my knees to hold it in place, I sized the insulated section around my size 10 feet. I used EE's pictures and a rough sketch of someone's plan on BackpackingLight to draw up my own plans, which is mostly what I wanted to share as I couldn't easily find one out there.

I drafted my plans for 11x17 sheets so that I could read them when I was working on the quilt. The baffle dimensions are to the finished edge which made it a little annoying to lay them out and I showed the shell cutting dimensions using 3 yd of the outer shell and 2 yd of the inner. Hopefully they will help someone else out in the future.

I used RSBTR for all of my fabric; a 0.9 oz Membrane 15 Charcoal Grey outer shell (because I camp with a dog) and 0.66 oz Membrane 10 Hunter Green inner shell (because I wanted the color). Because RSBTR was out of down and 2.5" baffle strips due to Black Friday I got those from Dutch.

I overstuffed my calculated down shown on the plans by 20% because I saw that suggested in a few spots, and I feel like that was a wise choice despite the 2 oz weight penalty because it is very fluffy. I should have done a better job of distributing the down as I was stuffing it though because it has been much harder to distribute it after I sewed it shut.

I sewed on loops and shock cord to cinch the neck, but I haven't decided yet to put KAM snaps on those or just use a mini carabiner for the few times it might be necessary.

Finished quilt weight is 17.9 oz.
    IMG_20190217_203436.jpgIMG_20190217_203456.jpgIMG_20190217_204016.jpgIMG_20190217_204023.jpgTop Quilt Page 001.jpgTop Quilt Page 002.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Beautiful craftsmanship!

EE uses a Kam snap at the neck to 'assist' the cord cinch, and the cord is non-stretch. Also, they call their sewn foot box quilts Enigma.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks! It was surprisingly easier than expected. I was quite nervous about the baffles, but other than a few that ended up a bit short after my rolled hem ate a bit extra they went smoothly.

The KAM snaps seem better, but I don't have any of them now so I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

Good to know on what I actually cloned. The Revelation was nice because they have pictures of it laid out flat, making the baffles design obvious. Really like the "v" design for keeping down in place.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting your pattern! I have almost finished my 20 degree "Enigma clone" - it just needs a drawcord, some loops for pad straps and some kam snaps. Made only minor changes to the pattern. Finished width 56", length 71.5" weight 23.5 oz. Shell is .9oz 15D Membrane from Ripstop by the roll, 2.5" baffles hand cut (3" strips) from .9 oz noseeum, 1 lb of 850 fill down from Aliexpress. Cost about $175 Cdn, I estimate about 30 hours to make. Probably the most challenging sewing project I've attempted so far!

top.jpgbottom.jpgbaffle_tape.jpgbaffles_bottom.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    BeetleBuckle
    Looks great!

Nice job! I've got an Enigma and Revelation from Tim in Minnesota and those look pretty darn close.

Hats off to you on your diy skills. I'm still in the simple stuff sack stage of thread injector training.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Fine job fellas.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Nice job! I've got an Enigma and Revelation from Tim in Minnesota and those look pretty darn close.

Hats off to you on your diy skills. I'm still in the simple stuff sack stage of thread injector training.
    Me too but I’m looking to screw up a bigger project now.

Quote Originally Posted by rheslip View Post
    Thanks for posting your pattern! I have almost finished my 20 degree "Enigma clone" - it just needs a drawcord, some loops for pad straps and some kam snaps. Made only minor changes to the pattern.
    Very nice looking quilt! I'm glad to see that this post is helping someone out. I figured since I went to the trouble of making a nice plan as part of my process that someone else might get some use out of it as well.

It's intimidating starting out, but it looks like you followed the same strategy I did to just go slow and steady and before you know it you have a great quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisscy View Post
    Very nice looking quilt! I'm glad to see that this post is helping someone out. I figured since I went to the trouble of making a nice plan as part of my process that someone else might get some use out of it as well.

It's intimidating starting out, but it looks like you followed the same strategy I did to just go slow and steady and before you know it you have a great quilt.

Thanks! I made a spreadsheet to estimate the finished weight and calculate the down fill for each baffle. Finished weight was pretty close to the estimate.

You gotta take your time on something this complex. Taping the baffles down well before sewing was the key to success for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast