DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I debated starting a new thread but since it is established that the X-Bend is a viable option I thought I would see if any of you indoor hangers are interested in trying this? (Maybe put some cushions on the floor!) I'm only half-jokingly calling it the Death Hitch, which I hope is a temporary name.

I've hung on it only for a nap but it was fine. I've strung up Zing-it tarp ridge lines (with loop variation) that were banjo-string tight with no slippage. It works Amsteel-on-Amsteel. I have not been able to capsize it or suck the CL thru the loop with any material.

“Death Hitch”.... I like it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Tried the death hitch, amsteel to amsteel. Slipped pretty easy, maybe easier then just a beckett. Didn't try with webbing. Holds with a stopper knot but needed a good hard tug to get undone.
    Love the new thoughts and ideas in recent time for no hardware suspensions.
    Thanks for trying... when I napped on it, it was with kevlar webbing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    “Death Hitch”.... I like it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hopefully it'll scare people into being VEWY, VEWY careful if they try it!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Anyone try this with softer webbing like dutchs spider 2.0? Been thinking about trying a new suspension after forever. I tried this yesterday with some of his fancy new straps i just got. It slipped immediately but I'm pretty sure i did it wrong. Couldnt really see what was going on in the video. That becket hitch seemed to hold fine though but i like what you guys are sayi g about this reefy x bend hitch knot a bob.
    Also concerned about rain wicking in. Have been using a whoopie hook to attach to my hammock cont loops forever so have never had a provlem before. If i try this ill definitely need drip lines? Do i need to use a cotton string?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    @ fallkniven

yes to the cotton string. I've always just headed to my local big blue super store and picked up a pair of cotton shoe laces if I didn't have any old ones from any shoes I've worn out. I just leave them multi-wrap prusik'd around on my hammock suspension. That said, I don't use continuous loops, I use a..... I think "dogbone" is the term. Locked brummel eyes spliced into each end of piece of cordage. I only did it that way because I figured it would work better as a single strand with drip string, as opposed to two strings with a bit of a channel in-between them. I've been in some rains over the years and been all right thus far.

u.w.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    So far everyone who has tried this 'knot' and posted, has said it is easier to "untie" than a SBH (slippery becket hitch).

Many, myself included, have put a small loop "pull tab of sorts" in the CL, or eye, of our hammock suspension that we use for our SBH when we hang. The "pull tab of sorts" makes undoing the SBH about as easy as undoing a loose single overhand knot on your shoes... and that's after a night of hanging.

So I'm asking: Is the Xbend is easier to undo/untie than a SBH with the loop/"pull tab" added to the CL/eye?

Based on folks saying it's about half as hard to undo/untie as the regular SBH, I would guess, no.

u.w.
    even as big as I am, I never felt I had to do that. but I will try it. could probly just larks head a cl to the loop on my ucr right? or a second cl onto the hammock Cl. I didn't get a chance to do any testing last night. I am a firefighter, and have a hammock stand at work I use. but high winds last night made for a busy night.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Anyone try this with softer webbing like dutchs spider 2.0? Been thinking about trying a new suspension after forever. I tried this yesterday with some of his fancy new straps i just got. It slipped immediately but I'm pretty sure i did it wrong. Couldnt really see what was going on in the video. That becket hitch seemed to hold fine though but i like what you guys are sayi g about this reefy x bend hitch knot a bob.
    Also concerned about rain wicking in. Have been using a whoopie hook to attach to my hammock cont loops forever so have never had a provlem before. If i try this ill definitely need drip lines? Do i need to use a cotton string?
    I have always used small zingit cl's prussik'd onto to my lines.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    could probably just larks head a cl to the loop on my ucr right? or a second cl onto the hammock Cl.
    Basically, yes. Here's a link to a video that shows larks heading a smaller CL into/onto the already installed hammock's CL. Video Link Here

If the link doesn't take you to the 3:00 minute mark - that's were he shows it.

I've done it with spliced braided mason twine - works great - Spliced (gutted) paracord - works great - and knotted, larks headed, braided mason twine - works great - It pulls apart SO easily when you have that loop there at the end to aid.

u.w.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    Basically, yes. Here's a link to a video that shows larks heading a smaller CL into/onto the already installed hammock's CL. Video Link Here

If the link doesn't take you to the 3:00 minute mark - that's were he shows it.

I've done it with spliced braided mason twine - works great - Spliced (gutted) paracord - works great - and knotted, larks headed, braided mason twine - works great - It pulls apart SO easily when you have that loop there at the end to aid.

u.w.
    oh yes, Jeff Myers. very familiar with his videos. I figured that's what u were talking about. I will test it out over the next couple days. hopefully not so busy at work tonight

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Test of X-Bend and D-Hitch with various strap materials

I was feeling better this morning so I got out and played around with the X-Bend and Death Hitch with various strap materials... Kevlar (1" 3.3), Venom (1"), Mule tape (1/2") and Myerstech (1"). Hammock CLs are 7/64 Amsteel. All tests were done without a backup bight or safety knot. My test protocol was to tie the bend/hitch and cinch by hand, very carefully sit on the hammock and increase the load, then gradually start bouncing gently up and down, gradually increasing intensity to the point that it was quite vigorous, enough to equal the most (and in fact more) shock loading than I would put on a hammock in normal use.

Here is the venue, in my local woods:

And here is the test tree with the various straps, top to bottom: Myers, Venom, Kevlar, Mule:

Test results:

X-Bend had no slippage with Kevlar and Myers, slipped fairly easily with Venom (which is more like a cord), and was holding very well with Mule until it slipped badly. Seeing as how it slipped comparatively easily with Venom, I was expecting the same with Myers, which is similar, but it did not.

Death Hitch had no slippage with any of the strap materials. (Although chapinb already reported it doesn't work Amsteel/Amsteel) I think I'll start referring to it as the Death Defying Hitch (DDH) because it looks like something that shouldn't work but does... so far, anyway.

I hope somebody else will replicate this test. Looking forward to others' results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast