Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Clifford Ashley, author of ABOK-Ashley Book of Knots, said if a knot is changed even a small change-it is a different knot.
    I would not hang on a reef knot, BUT your knot is not a reef knot—it’s reef like, but uses a continuous loop, just as becket hitch uses a continuous loop. A slipped sheet bend and a becket hitch are two different knots even though they look similar.
    As more hammockers try it, we can see how it works in a variety of suspension strap materials and campers experience both pro and con.
    This gets down to the technical difference between a bend and a hitch. A bend joins two different pieces of cordage. A hitch attaches a length of cordage to an object such as a post, a rail, or a ring. Here's where the waters get muddied. Is the CL considered another piece of cordage or is it looked on as a flexible "object?" If one were to tie a Bowline at the end of a line and then secure a second line in a Sheet Bend manner, should the result be called a bend or a hitch? I know thinking about it won't keep me awake at night!

I didn't view the vid based on the various comments about not being able to really see anything. If indeed it "looks" like a Single-slipped Reef Knot and one takes the view that the CL is a ring, then I guess you could call it a Slipped Girth Hitch, AKA Lark's Head, just not collapsed.

FWIW, a Reef Knot is a very weak means of joining two ropes. Not recommended where any significant pull is anticipated. But that Double-slippery Reef Knot will work just fine (most of the time) on your shoelaces. And, btw, where a Sheet Bend REALLY shines is when you are joining significantly different sized pieces of cordage.

(I blame/thank Boy Scouts for turning me into a bit of a knot guy!)
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-21-2019 at 09:45.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Clifford Ashley, author of ABOK-Ashley Book of Knots, said if a knot is changed even a small change-it is a different knot.
    I would not hang on a reef knot, BUT your knot is not a reef knot—it’s reef like, but uses a continuous loop, just as becket hitch uses a continuous loop. A slipped sheet bend and a becket hitch are two different knots even though they look similar.
    As more hammockers try it, we can see how it works in a variety of suspension strap materials and campers experience both pro and con.
    Becket does not work Amsteel-on-Amsteel and I doubt this will. I'll try it next time I'm playing in the woods... also with Venom, mule tape and kevlar.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Think becket is still a hair easier to tie. The secret to untying the becket is pulling both the slippery end of the becket and the end of the loop Its tied to. This is accomplished a couple different ways....I like using Evo loops in place of regular continuous loops. The knot is perfect for pulling out the becket hitch. U can also accomplish this by adding a small continuous loop to your Cl on your hammock. This is a great video on how to...…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnwqPPquPRs

If the reef knot really holds and can be untied easily, I would consider it. But other factors have to be considered....like additional wear and tear on rope and webbing. I'll be testing this myself come spring.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Becket does not work Amsteel-on-Amsteel and I doubt this will. I'll try it next time I'm playing in the woods... also with Venom, mule tape and kevlar.
    It does if you use the backup shown in our becket video

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Did some testing with the reef. Holds fine on my super stiff poly webbing. Would slip the same as a Beckett with amsteel to amsteel. Because of this, I wouldnt use it with anything other then traditional webbing. No venom or spider straps.

However, the modified Beckett that I just learned via warbonnet held my bouncing and watching a movie just fine. Very happy to have learned it, thank you!

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    CON: you have to feed the entire strap through the loop first (like Becket, but unlike J-Bend).
    I haven't tried this knot, but I know you don't have to feed the whole strap through w Becket.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Here is a much better video. I'm not real good at videoing but I think this is very cear. Let me know what you think...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Here is a much better video. I'm not real good at videoing but I think this is very cear. Let me know what you think...

Excellent! Great knot! How simple it has been to just tie a double figure 8 loop into my HH rope, run the webbing around a tree, then run the other end of the webbing through the fig 8 via Becket, J bend, slippery 1/2 hitch or now this Reef or whatever it is called. I think this one is my new favorite.

It does seem very similar to a sheet bend made slippery, doesn't it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    It does if you use the backup shown in our becket video
    Yes, the tag bight thru the slipped bight will hold.

That trick will probably work with this knot as well for amsteel/amsteel, reef or whatever it might be called.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    I'll definitely be testing this. I say we call this a reef knot just to avoid confusion. The more I look at this, the more I want to try it
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast