4 seasons - questions from a newbie

Good morning, afternoon, or evening everybody!

I am in the market for my first hammock purchase! I sold my tent and I am very excited!

I have a few questions for everybody

What makes the sparrow 4 seasons? I am looking for a hammock that I can use everywhere I go, no matter what the time of year. I was looking at the Clarks and noticed people keep using the words "bombproof" on the NX270, which makes me think that that is a solid product for the winter elements. What makes the sparrow able to contend with the elements? Is this model only waterproof once a big tarp is set up above it? (I know nothing is truly waterproof, but you know what I mean hopefully)

I love the design and the family owned company. It seems really personal and homely. Can the sparrow handle a side sleeper? Also, do you guys/gals find it worth it to go with the double layer even though it adds extra weight? I might end up just selling my old sleeping pad now that I'm getting into hanging!

I know this conversation sparks a lot responses, not always all positive, but if it means anything - I may be having to go to the ground 5% of the time this upcoming summer (one of my main reasons for being on the hunt for the best model!)

Take care and have a nice day

your ASDFriend

edit: just found they make a pretty neat hammock called the danger bird too. Thanks for the responses so far everyone
    Last edited by ASDFriend; 02-17-2019 at 13:36. Reason: Including the DangerBird in my post

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In my opinion 4 Season means a good tarp with doors. The proper pitching of your tarp and your insulation choices make or break 4 Season hammocking.
    Any hammock with bugnet will do. Removable bugnet even better.
    Single or double layer?.......sometimes a weight issue...sometimes a comfort issue. Nice to slip a pad between layers.
    Your insulation is what is truly important in 4 Season.

The Sparrow is a well respected hammock as is Papa Smurf and team.
    Though I am not a side-sleeper I have tested doing it and my conclusion is it can be done in any hammock. Though ultimately that decision is up to you.

Enjoy the hammock quest and stay patient. There is for sure a learning curve.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Shug is a tough act to follow!

But to add to all of the good information and advice that he gave you, I can tell you that the Sparrow has a removable overcover which is meant to help retain some heat in cold weather and/or block wind that gets past your tarp. The overcover can be zipped off completely and replaced with a zip-on bug net, or both can be left off, based on the weather/bug conditions and your preferences. When you first place an order for a custom Sparrow, you can get it with just the overcover, just the net, or both the overcover and net.

I don't have my Sparrow yet (#7995--hoping it arrives before next weekend!), but I can also tell you that being a customer of Dream Hammock is a remarkable experience. Their customer service is simply astonishing--very friendly, personal, responsive, and accommodating. They're really great people!

I hope that helps!

Sleepy

I've been watching your videos religiously during my research. Woooo buddy! Thanks for the information Shug.

Sounds good Sleepy! I just found out that they have another model that might be of interest to me as well - it's called the DangerBird. Lots of decisions to make around here! I just sent them an email and look forward to being in contact with the dream hammock team!

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    I have a double layer Sparrow with both overcover and net. It is a VERY comfy hammock, and works well in a wide range of situations. If a person was gram-counting, it isn't the lightest one. If I were ordering now, I'd probably get the single layer to save some weight.

The other thing I'd probably do, if starting over, is rather than order a Sparrow from the beginning, get a very basic Dream freebird or Dutch netless, or a Simply Light Designs hammock from the gear up and get outdoors section. Get started with a minimal expense, go camping, build a hammock stand and hammock indoors, go to some group hangs from the area closest to you, see what others are doing. Read The Ultimate Hang. Then, after doing all of that, order a Sparrow when you have a knowledge base, and then you will be able to make better decisions when you order it. For a newby, there's just a lot of questions that you have to answer in order to order that are really hard.

Agree with Shug that the right tarp, underquilt and top quilt can make virtually any hammock four season.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm surprised Dream Hammock calls the Sparrow a "4-season hammock" - I guess the overcover makes it 4-season. The Warbonnet XLC and Dutchware Chameleon have overcovers, and they don't market them as "4-season hammocks."

I'm not surprised Clark describes some of their hammocks as 4-season. They claim you can stuff spare clothes in the insulating pockets and that's what makes it 4-season. They've been using that language for years.

However, "4-season hammock" doesn't really mean anything. It's just marketing. If the hammock came with insulation, then I might think differently.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-17-2019 at 21:27.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by ASDFriend View Post
    Sounds good Sleepy! I just found out that they have another model that might be of interest to me as well - it's called the DangerBird
    I have both a sparrow and a dangerbird and the biggest difference between the two is on the dangerbird the overcover/bugnet is permanently attached to the hammock, so you will always have both in the summer or winter. you can unzip the overcover/bugnet off and store it in a bag at the foot end or head end. it also only comes with one zipper pull unless you add a second zipper pull.

with the sparrow you can completely remove the overcover/bugnet and leave it at home this way if it summer time you can leave the overcover at home and only take the bugnet and vice versa if it is winter time. that way you not carrying something you don't need. the sparrow also was 2 zipper pulls that meets in the middle.

other than that they are the same hammock my opinion if you have the money go for the sparrow over the dangerbird but either one you go with it's going to be a great hammock
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ASDFriend View Post
    Sounds good Sleepy! I just found out that they have another model that might be of interest to me as well - it's called the DangerBird. Lots of decisions to make around here! I just sent them an email and look forward to being in contact with the dream hammock team!
    It was good speaking with you ASDFriend, I'm confident we can work together to configure a hammock that will best serve your needs.

• + New Posts