SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If so, try what I discussed in the previous post some time. Put that bubble pad inside the hammock, or in a pa pocket, with an UQ under the hammock and pad. If I were doing that, I will be dry- and probably a lot warmer than with the UQ alone.
    Thanks for clarifying, I‘ll be sure to try that!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The simplest thing in extreme cold is VB, head to toe. It works.

I got to use them only a couple of times last winter, but the Lightheart Gear rain jacket and pants—which are non-breathable silnylon—stopped condensation entirely. And, surprisingly, I found that in the morning I wasn't nearly as 'clammy' moist as I had feared. I also put plastic bread bags on my feet because they produce a lot of moisture as well.

Photo below shows moisture collected after a few minutes of moderate activity. This is a true VB.

VB_01.jpg

For multiple days in extreme cold where condensation will definitely build up day-by-day, VB clothing is the only way to go. I've personally experienced a -25°F-rated sleeping bag become virtually useless after about 4-5 nights without VB at well-below-zero temps.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Ridiculously useful for feet. It took me about 5 hours of high exertion to get into camp back in January. It was 5° starting at 10:30am and hit a high of 10° at best. With a low of -16° approaching, it wasn't a trip for lightweight footwear so I used my Rab vapor barrier socks and Salomon Toundra boots.

My feet were never so comfortable! After getting into camp I inspected the condensation buildup...almost NONE! Moist feet but no noticeable wetness anywhere. The science of this surprises me every time.

I'd guess 90% of the time when people get cold feet it's not the sock/boot's fault. It's simply dampness between the toes which always hits first. The moisture isn't going anywhere, held in your socks, so your feet continually get colder and never really warm up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

I got to use them only a couple of times last winter, but the Lightheart Gear rain jacket and pants—which are non-breathable silnylon—stopped condensation entirely. And, surprisingly, I found that in the morning I wasn't nearly as 'clammy' moist as I had feared. I also put plastic bread bags on my feet because they produce a lot of moisture as well.

Photo below shows moisture collected after a few minutes of moderate activity. This is a true VB.

VB_01.jpg

For multiple days in extreme cold where condensation will definitely build up day-by-day, VB clothing is the only way to go. I've personally experienced a -25°F-rated sleeping bag become virtually useless after about 4-5 nights without VB at well-below-zero temps.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Ridiculously useful for feet. It took me about 5 hours of high exertion to get into camp back in January. It was 5° starting at 10:30am and hit a high of 10° at best. With a low of -16° approaching, it wasn't a trip for lightweight footwear so I used my Rab vapor barrier socks and Salomon Toundra boots.

My feet were never so comfortable! After getting into camp I inspected the condensation buildup...almost NONE! Moist feet but no noticeable wetness anywhere. The science of this surprises me every time.

I'd guess 90% of the time when people get cold feet it's not the sock/boot's fault. It's simply dampness between the toes which always hits first. The moisture isn't going anywhere, held in your socks, so your feet continually get colder and never really warm up.

I am tempted to shout "YAY!". I suspect I have - for the many years I have been posting here - been considered "that VB crazy", at least by some. Which is natural, since I have almost always been the odd man out on that subject and a couple of others, more or less taking the opposite opinion on what was common knowledge. But at long last there is a growing number of folks - who are long established and experienced members of the "non VB " majority - who have been putting VB theory to the test and confirmed it's benefits when needed. I no longer feel so alone, and don't feel like such an outcast!

But, I'm no different than most folks, I prefer the max breathability approach when ever it seems reasonable, as long as I have no trouble getting and staying warm. With that latter being the trickier, staying warm on longer trips as moisture accumulates. I prefer that, but won't hesitate to use VBs when I think they are called for.

But OTOH, in recent years I have steadily pushed the limits of when I can use VBs, and (mainly for the fun of experimentation, just to see if I can do it) have used them in temps and circumstances(hiking, the hardest to pull off! ) I never thought I would. And it is quite a coincidence to see these 2 posts from OneClick and Cmoulder. Because just yesterday I was doing some back yard testing of the 90* HT + pad. It was not what this southern boy would normally consider cold, in the 60sF. But man what a wind chill! (BTW, could not feel the wind at all through the Neoair All Season pad, though it was ouncing me around in the hammock)

When I got out there in my short sleeved cotton T shirt, in the shade, the wind just seemed to cut right through me! I decided I was going to need something, but what? Out of several options, just for fun, I decided on my lined SWL VB shirt, over my cotton T shirt. So I wore that as I set up the hammock and pad, and as I was laying in it. Somewhat surprisingly, it turned out to be perfect, and very comfortable! The wind was- as expected- totally blocked. But sometimes if wearing a light waterproof/breathable rain jacket over bare skin or cotton T shirt, though wind proof, it is still somewhat cold as the wind pushes that thin layer against my skin. But I was comfortably warm during the strongest gusts of wind, but not warm enough to sweat during this light exertion. After an hour or 2, when I went in and took the VB shirt off, there was no obvious dampness. Though I am sure there was some in the liner, but I never felt it at all. My cotton T shirt did not seem damp at all. But if I had been working harder, I would have definitely been sweating. Of course, working hard enough and I would have been sweating under anything, but my outer layers would be absorbing it. Which becomes an issue once I slow down.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-23-2019 at 08:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123