Mark2 vs the NX270

Hello, everybody! I've currently decided I want to get into hammocking because I am sick and tired of being sore in the morning when I'm out camping! I recently was able to try someones set up and thought it to be very comfortable! I have cash to spend and want a product that will last me years and can handle the elements if there are elements in store for me!

I was going to ask the forums if anyone has experience with the Mark2. I've spent maybe 30 hours reading from here to there about tents, and it seems the two models I'm looking at are the two I've mentioned in the title. I'll be going on a bicycle trip across the US this summer and want something that can (if need be) go to the ground but also be capable of sustaining camping in the winter. So I have a few questions about specific models!

Owners of the Mark2, is the bottom of the tent comfortable? I can imagine that since it can handle being on the ground, the bottom could potentially be rough to lay on. What are your thoughts on that? Also, on Clarks website, they say "winterizable" - is this true? Is this exactly as it sounds?

Owners of the NX270, have you ever needed to go on the ground? Would you be comfortable doing so if you had a footprint?

Once again, thank you and I appreciate any responses. This world of hammocking turned out to be MUCH larger than I thought it would be. I thought I would be buying a hammock 3 weeks ago but there is just so much information out there. I hope everyone has a nice rest of your weekend!

your ASDFriend

The NX-270 is the best. A near perfect sleepsystem. But you need a mat and a groundsheet to sleep on the ground. But it can be done. I will sometimes bring a partly hammock stand, so I only have to find one tree.

I am little suspicious about the Mark2, but have not tried it. I love the idea, But it is heavy. It weighs the same as tent, but without the comfort. You cannot sit up in it. You need a mat, and a windshield. A tarp is recommended by Clark too. And suddenly you have a very heavy system.

Quote Originally Posted by pro2type View Post
    The NX-270 is the best. A near perfect sleepsystem. But you need a mat and a groundsheet to sleep on the ground. But it can be done. I will sometimes bring a partly hammock stand, so I only have to find one tree.

I am little suspicious about the Mark2, but have not tried it. I love the idea, But it is heavy. It weighs the same as tent, but without the comfort. You cannot sit up in it. You need a mat, and a windshield. A tarp is recommended by Clark too. And suddenly you have a very heavy system.
    You bring up a very good point about how the Mark2 system starts to get... very heavy. I was crunching the numbers last night if I went with that system and it exceeded my limit. I appreciate the response!

Quote Originally Posted by pro2type View Post

How much does your partly hammock stand weigh? Do you mind telling me a little about it?

I use the hammock stand from DDhammocks - orlginally developed by Handy Hammock in the UK. I dont thing that DDhammock is selling them any more. If I bring one of the poles which is around 500g with all, I only have to find one tree.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hammock-Stand

Hammock
    Tropical Ultra, Mark2, NX-270
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I own both the mark2 and NX-270. In my opinion the mark2 is more comfortable because of the wide bed. The bed of the mark2 is not as slippery as the NX-270. How many times are you going to ground it is a nice option? I would not get the Z-liner at full price, got one on sale. I would get a down under quilt. Maybe selling my mark2 bought a flex-360 want the extra room on the ground. You can get down under quilts for Clarks here. https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...=0&sort=normal

Thanks for the link to Clark quilts. They do colours, and I can even get it to Europe without being ripped.

• + New Posts