Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubater
    Suspension
    2" x 10' Straps

Cool New Hammock Comparisons

I'm new to hammock camping, and have been researching my first hammock (that wasn't borrowed).
    Before you ask, I'm 6'2 and 315lbs. which immediately narrows many off-the-shelf options. I figured that I would do my homework and get it right the first time. After all, it's an expensive decision...

Hennessey Jungle Safari Zip XXL
    I was originally considering the Hennessey Jungle Safari Zip XXL. I've tested some of the other models and felt quite comfortable. I really like that the entire system is all inclusive. It comes with the dual-layer hammock, zipped netting, rainfly, suspension, and stuff sack. It includes everything to get started in one bag.

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    The more I researched Hennessey, the more people recommended the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC to replace their Hennessey Hammocks. Although it takes people a few nights to tweak the head-to-foot ratios just-right, everyone seems to love the storage shelf and the foot box that the net creates. Without the net zipped on, the hammock appears to be an above average symmetrical hammock. The patented shelf, foot box, and tie-out points that they've built into the net and overcover is where all of Warbonnet's magic is found. They also appear to have great underquilts that have been well thought out with their hammocks. Their Superfly has high reviews as well.

Dream Hammock Sparrow
    The more I researched the Blackbird XLC, the more experienced hammocker's upgraded to the highly customizable Dream Hammocks. The Sparrow appears to be the one everyone compares the XLC to. The most common comments that I see refer to those who have, and often love, the Blackbird XLC after they've taken time learn to find that perfect sweet spot (by usually raising the foot level around 12"-18" above the head level). On the other hand, everyone seems to instantly get comfortable in the Dream Hammock Sparrow.

From everything I've learned, the perfect setup would put a Warbonnet net and overcover (with the build-in storage shelf) on a Dream Hammock Sparrow. Something tells me that's not going to happen. So far I'm favoring the Dream Hammock, although haven't actually tried either one yet. The Dream Hammock's past order photos are awesome for getting ideas and comparing what others have done for themselves.

Due to my lack of experience with each of these, I'm stuck with the different fabrics.
    - What is the difference between the 1.6oz HyperD and HyperD-XL?
    - Should I pick a preferred width or choose 'Wide As Possible'?

Please let comment with your feedback or details I should consider.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I would scratch the Hennessy right away since Hennessy's are kind of beginner hammocks. The XLC and Sparrow are popular, but you might also look at the Dutch Chameleon since it doesn't have a defined lay (head left, feet right or head right, feet left). I believe the XLC and Sparrow have a defined lay.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubater
    Suspension
    2" x 10' Straps
    Actually, the Sparrow comes in all three options. Right Asym, Left Asym, and Symmetrical.
    The hammock is symmetrical, the choice of top cuts chooses the lay.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Do you know what defined lay you want? I know I like head right, feet left, but I only have symmetrical hammocks so I can lay any way I want.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubater
    Suspension
    2" x 10' Straps
    All of the ones that I've tried have been Right Asym, and I've been very comfortable.
    How much difference is there between Asym vs Symm with the Dream Hammocks?
    Is it just the difference in the way the net falls on the Symm?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I own a single layer HH Safari, several WB hammocks including a heavyweight DL XLC, and I had 2 Dream Hammocks (a Roaming Gnome and a Dangerbird. For me the XLC wins all categories that are important to me hands down.

The HH Safari is very comfortable to me, because I don't tolerate stretch well, and the fabric is very heavy and thus doesn't stretch. For my size (5'4") it's long enough. I don't know about taller people, though, because the cut of the net makes it very narrow. But it's true: you don't need to make a lot of decisions if you don't want to, because HH put together a package. A pretty heavy package, though. While I prefer heavier fabrics for comfort reasons, it doesn't mean that the complete package needs to weigh that much.

I never warmed up to my DH hammocks although they are very high quality and have some nice features. I simply could never get comfortable. My guess is, that the fabric was much stretchier than I expected (they were both 1.1oz DL hammocks, and I never had problems with my 1.1oz DL Blackbirds). But compared to WB hammocks, they have a fairly short ridgeline in relation to the hammock body. As do pretty much all other high-end hammocks, including the Chameleon. I found that I can lay much flatter in hammocks with a longer ridgeline, and I feel bent too much in hammock with more sag. That's a personal preference, though. Many people prefer sag.

My first hammock was an original Blackbird, and after 8 years and many different hammocks, it's still my go-to for hiking. It's much more comfortable to me than any other non-WB hammock, and lighter than the XLC (because it's shorter, which is fine for my size). However, for full-time sleeping I wanted something longer and slept in different DIY hammocks. Within the last year I have switched completely to a Heavyweight XLC/Eldorado (I have both nets and use them in different situations). It is the most comfortable hammock I have ever used. Although that doesn't keep me from buying and trying other hammocks for curiosity sake.

I would suggest going to a group hang and try out different hammocks. Warbonnet and Dream Hammock are popular, so the chances are, somebody has one and lets you try it. Hammock comfort is very personal, and nobody can tell you what you will like.

Quote Originally Posted by Braingears View Post
    Due to my lack of experience with each of these, I'm stuck with the different fabrics.
    - What is the difference between the 1.6oz HyperD and HyperD-XL?
    They are the same fabric, just different widths. HyperD is 60" (which will result in a hammock about 58/59" wide); HyperD XL is 76" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Braingears View Post
    - Should I pick a preferred width or choose 'Wide As Possible'?
    That's personal. I like wide hammocks, but when I have to carry one for miles and miles, I don't want it wider than necessary. 59" feels a bit tight, though, even though I'm only 65" tall. 62" works very well for me, and since I won't be able to use more than 65" anyway, I wouldn't go wider for a hiking hammock. With 74" height you should be fine with a 74" wide hammock, but you could probably go narrower. Also, the stretchier a fabric is, the less diagonal you can go, because the sides come up higher. I have lain in some very wide, very stretchy hammock that wrapped me up like a taco. HyperD is a 40D fabric and has medium stretch. Too much for my taste, but perfect for many other hangers. You'd have to try it out to see how well it works for you.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubater
    Suspension
    2" x 10' Straps
    Although I am favoring the Dream Hammock, I haven't ruled out the Blackbird XLC. A side-by-side comparison would cement the decisions.
    I'm a big guy, so I expect my lay to be different than others half my size.

The XLC lay can be reversed by flipping the top (net/top cover). The XLC tops have the shelf and footbox. The same hammock without the footbox, shelf and asym cut would be the Eldorado. Its top is symmetrical. (As hutzelbein points out below, this is an error!) And the Chameleon nets are available as asym or sym.

This assumes that, like me, you want an integrated net. The thing about the three "prime candidates" is that you can start with just a net and add a top cover down the line. If you're certain that you don't want a top cover, there also other options from DH. All three vendors put out top-notch product but so do several others.

Last but not least, your first hammock may not be your last purchase. It's nice to have different hammocks with different features. This first one doesn't have to do everything, at least not from day one. That's the beauty though of buying something modular that you can add to can be a plus if that's your goal.

Don't assume that your lay, at your size, will be all that different. The most important thing is picking a fabric that suits you in terms of both strength and comfort.
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-19-2019 at 14:43.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The XLC lay can be reversed by flipping the top (net/top cover). The XLC tops have the shelf and footbox. The same hammock without the footbox, shelf and asym cut would be the Eldorado. Its top is symmetrical.
    No, the Eldorado net is the XLC net minus the shelf. I does have the footbox. It is asymmetrical, but can be flipped for a reverse lay.

Images
    Lead time might be another thing to consider. You should be able to get a WBBB XLC shipped out to you within a couple days. The wait for a Dream Hammock could be about a month if you want to customize it. Ready to ship models would ship in a couple days, like the XLC.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast