Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I often will still bring my ENO double nest even if I’m sleeping in a tent to use for lounging or as a “camp sofa”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricBTTA View Post
    Here’s a quick video I put together a while ago comparing the various options. Let me know what you guys think”
    Great video, thanks! I managed to reduce the weight of the Tentsile solution by adapting the surface for only one person and creating a silnylon fly that can close the hammock 360 degrees with my 100-liter-backpack inside. The weight of the set does not reach 5 lbs (with one ratchet and hiking pole included). I mainly use the system for long distances... But now with the innovation of Haven Tents I am rethinking my preferences again. Happy trails!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    If I've arrived by vehicle or boat, I prefer my oversized TentCot. It's perfect for the swampy, buggy places I camp here in Florida. Good back support, lotsa room, and I can assume a position on my knees in the middle of the night, piss in a bottle, open the net enough to slip the bottle outside without letting any mosquitoes in, and go back to sleep. Can't do that in a hammock!
    Unfortunately, the TentCot weighs a ton! When I must use the hammock, I exit, go far away to pee, then come running back, brushing the mosquitoes off as I run, then dive into the hammock, quickly zipping up behind me. Both systems seem to work.

I'm really not a tent fan. If I have to go to ground, I prefer a mid. Even four-man tents give me a closed-in feeling, and I prefer floorless. That being said, I have a very tough time sleeping on the ground, even with a pad plus cot, and always prefer my hammock when that's an option. My back is pretty much a mess, and it's hard for me to sleep even in a bed comfortably, so I've started sleeping at home in a hammock as well. Ahh, nothing like a good night's sleep!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I am irrevocably smitten with the simple elegance of a gathered-end hammock, not only as an alternative to tent/pad, but to a bed at home since 2013. What's ornery/fussy/limited about it to some is fascinating to me: so much subtlety hiding in plain sight. I can no longer sleep outside of a hammock. It took a few nights for me to get comfortable with a bridge hammock, and I'd prefer that to a bed (let alone any pad), but not to a gathered end. I think you call it a hammock tent if you mean to emphasize that it's covered by a tarp and there's a bugnet.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 07-07-2020 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin Cassidy View Post
    I've gone back and forth a few times. Right now I have been doing some fast and light type backpacking and the simplicity of a tent has got me favoring that. Especially in the cold, I've had more cold nights in the hammock than in the tent.
    What's odd is that I have had more cold nights in a tent than in a hammock - but I believe that is against the norm. I am thinking that I am getting more drafts in my topquilt on the ground, which is the main culprit.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use a TentCot when I know the “site” is just some plan gravel rectangle at a trailhead/launch point. the tentCot weighs about 25 lbs. and packs up to about 3’ x 3’ x 6". Car camping only. Unfortunately it’s just a little to large to sit (packed up) vertically in the back of the jeep. It’s not a hammock but it is still off the ground. It’s also handy when visiting friends whose “guest room” is their couch (and they have pets). It has zippered and paneled windows at the head/foot ends and zippered and paneled doors on each side. also comes with rainfly.

Once, before I used snakeskins, I was in a really windy location with few tree options. Just unfolded the TentCot next to the jeep and was good-to-go. Now - thanks to Shugs reviews - I see there’s another option to hang from the back of the Jeep.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hamock, Tent or Hammock Tent which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Hiker View Post
    Great video, thanks! I managed to reduce the weight of the Tentsile solution by adapting the surface for only one person and creating a silnylon fly that can close the hammock 360 degrees with my 100-liter-backpack inside. The weight of the set does not reach 5 lbs (with one ratchet and hiking pole included). I mainly use the system for long distances... But now with the innovation of Haven Tents I am rethinking my preferences again. Happy trails!

Fyea man, I like the setup, nice custom tentsile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12