Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have the Superfly and Thunderfly. When bad weather is expected any season I grab the Superfly. If it's mild then it's the Thunderfly to save some weight. One thing to consider is whether you want any pole mods. I have the external pole setup and want to move to one internal center pole.

BWCA

Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I had that happen a few years ago when some friends and I were base camping on Wine Lake in the Sawbill area (amazing Lake Trout spot) the last week of May. It was in the low 30's one day and jumped to 82 the next. Crazy temp swing.
    That has to be the same year, been going up to EP37, and Sawbill entry points for 20yrs. That was my first and only solo trip to date. I also capsized going in on Polly, made it to Koma and set up camp for 2 days. Have been wanting to challenge myself again, just not enough time.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sure is nice to have doors at least on one end.
    Have fun choosing your tarp....although you will more than likely end up with a couple in time.
    My Tarp playlist to peruse if interested......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1BCD042A98F269
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sure is nice to have doors at least on one end.
    Have fun choosing your tarp....although you will more than likely end up with a couple in time.
    My Tarp playlist to peruse if interested......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1BCD042A98F269
    Shug
    Thanks Shug! I already have 3, but not hammock camping friendly unfortunately.
    8X8' and 10X10" Campmore
    Older Guide Gear that has seen more action and still hanging tough. I have a thread started on this one, and would possibly work, but thinking why not just buy 2! Planning on getting my nieces and brothers to camp in my parents front yard this summer!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty3 View Post
    That has to be the same year, been going up to EP37, and Sawbill entry points for 20yrs. That was my first and only solo trip to date. I also capsized going in on Polly, made it to Koma and set up camp for 2 days. Have been wanting to challenge myself again, just not enough time.
    2009? Aye, there were some crazy winds that week. Glad you made it back in the boat! Same, love that area, Dad took me up there in the eighties when I was a teen and I've been going in via Sawbill since. We've broken it up a few times over the years but areas like the Louse River Valley keeps pulling me back
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    I like doors for two reasons. First, you can't always pick which direction you are pitched in. There are only so many suitably distanced tree pairs, or you want a certain view, or all the good trees are taken, etc. Second, the wind often shifts direction between day and night. With doors neither of these is an issue.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I'm with you on the Thunderfly. I currently have a WB Mambajamba. I'm looking for a little more end coverage in the rain. If you are looking for one tarp, the Thunderfly is the best all rounder for weight savings and coverage. That's just my opinion.

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Thunderfly, but waiting for a sale.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Hammock gear DCF
    Insulation
    HG, OWL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I always recommend a larger tarp as a first tarp, to beginners, or those who want to own only a single tarp. Extra coverage gives you peace of mind and room for error until your more familiar with proper pitching techniques and site selection. I started out with an Old Man Winter, and have since added two smaller tarps to use depending on the season and weather conditions. Of the tarps mentioned, I would choose the Mountainfly if I had to pick only one. I own the Thunderfly and love the design, but would want longer sides if it were my only tarp. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are more reasons than "rain" for a tarp. Hammocks hang on trees. Trees have branches. Birds sit on branches ... the rest is left as an exercise for the student.

There can be a full-ish moon; a moon which shines right in your eyes like a heavenly (?) automobile headlight. The sun can do the same as you are trying to enjoy that panoramic view.

There is some conspiracy theory about wind assessing the direction of your tarp walls and switching direction to parallel to those walls, funneling through the tarp; occasionally bringing rain with it.

There could be a time when you have someone else with you, or they are using your tarp, and they might prefer a little more privacy that an "open at both ends" tarp provides.

So - yes, rain protection is the tarp's job. But consider those other responsibilities when choosing color (opaqueness), size, and optional doors.

Out if kindness, I left of the consideration of pole mods or panel pulls.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-17-2019 at 13:41.

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    I'm with you on the Thunderfly. I currently have a WB Mambajamba. I'm looking for a little more end coverage in the rain. If you are looking for one tarp, the Thunderfly is the best all rounder for weight savings and coverage. That's just my opinion.

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Thunderfly, but waiting for a sale.
    I agree on the Thunderfly. I have one, and have had it out for about 20 nights, including thunderstorms, freezing rain, and cold wind. As long as I have the sides pitched toward the direction of the wind or storm, there’s been no issue of getting wet or cold. I have had to get up a couple of times to “batten down the hatches” though.

Keep in mind Warbonnet has a door kit for the MamaJamba. I have a kit, and it basically turns your tarp into a Superfly. I’ve only used mine a couple of times, but it does provide peace of mind if you’re anticipating bad weather

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12