Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tarp Purchase_Narrowed it down...I thought

My head is hurting from all the threads and vendor sites I've read over the last 2 weeks. I was originally set on the Warbonnet thunder or mountain fly, for some reason I really like that little peak at the end. Not sure if it's there for privacy, protection or a little of both. Then saw HG winter sale on Quest and Journey and prices! Weight isn't an issue this year, but next year it could be....having lots of options is not a bad thing.

I need to get back to why I need a tarp. To keep dry LOL. Going to be camping in June so not really sure if I "need" the winter tarp like the Journey or Superfly and unless I'm wrong not much difference except price?

Why a winter tarp in the spring/summer months?
    Will the Quest keep me dry during a rain/wind storm?
    Are the end-coverage/doors on the Warbonnet worth having and why?

Just looking to get some thoughts rolling to help me convince myself what tarp to buy.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I prefer a 4-season tarp with doors year-round. I got wet too many times using lesser tarps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG UQ / WL TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I've had a small-ish tarp for many years. The WL Tadpole. It worked well for me because I was mostly concerned with weight for my longer backpacking trips, but SilvrSurfr is right that it is more work to stay dry sometimes. Have to be careful how you set up to block wind and blowing rain, tie lower for more protection, bring an UQP, and other things. I upgraded to a bgger cuben fiber tarp with doors toward the end of last year. I'll be using it year-round. It's nice peace of mind to be fully covered.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I prefer a 4-season tarp with doors year-round. I got wet too many times using lesser tarps.
    Another +1. I've tried a lot of smaller tarps but I still keep coming back to my dyneema palace 90% of the time. I just like having the wall at my back and to the ground. However, I do live up north where a cold wet night is possible almost year round.

EDIT: but to answer your other question I have had a mountainfly and do still own a thunderfly and for my peace of mind the little beaks are definitely worth it. I know a lot of folks use hex tarps with no issue (like the DIY postage stamp Shug regularly uses) so it's just a psychological fear I have. Growing up on square tarps I guess, having that "corner" gone just fills me with anxiety.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

OK!!! this advice is what I'm wanting to here! Thank you. Will be in BW in June(I've been snowed on one year, but then high 70's 2 days later) and going back to car will not be an option, so keeping both of us dry and comfortable is at the top of list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty3 View Post
    Then saw HG winter sale on Quest and Journey and prices!
    I've got a Quest and like it. At the sale prices, either one of those would be an outstanding value.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Same here. I used my SimplyLightdesigns Winter haven last night and it rained most of the night with 25-30 mph winds. I wouldn't have wanted anything any smaller.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty3 View Post
    OK!!! this advice is what I'm wanting to here! Thank you. Will be in BW in June(I've been snowed on one year, but then high 70's 2 days later) and going back to car will not be an option, so keeping both of us dry and comfortable is at the top of list.
    I had that happen a few years ago when some friends and I were base camping on Wine Lake in the Sawbill area (amazing Lake Trout spot) the last week of May. It was in the low 30's one day and jumped to 82 the next. Crazy temp swing.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    It really all comes down to personal preference. A properly pitched standard hex tarp will generally weigh less, and will still keep you dry in a hard rain or thunderstorm. I guess a tarp with doors gives a little more peace of mind, helps block the wind, and offers a bit more privacy. That said, most of the time I don't use doors because I sleep very warm and prefer having some airflow in and around my hammock. If you don't mind carrying some extra weight in the Spring/Summer, you can keep the doors pinned back and use it like a hex. Having doors is nice if it's particularly cold and windy.

Hammock
    +11' Black Argon
    I have a 12' diy tarp i made that can be closed in like doors on the end. I just bought a 11' quest from HG (can't hardly make the tarp for sall price). I wanted a lighter smaller tarp for non winter time but also an additional tarp for taking others camping. Shugs videos on pitching tarps gives some good tips on how to rig to protect from rain and wind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast