Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Once you know, get or find your sweet spot as far as tree spacing, measure that distance with out stretched arms and trekking poles. For me I add about three to five feet more. Sometimes I can find trees that were the same as the previous hang.
    I do this as well^^^

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For hammock bishop bag, I removed the cord lock from the foot end and fed the cord thru the hammock CL, cinched down the bishop bag and tied the cord shut with some reef knots and finally an overhand knot for the tail. So the bishop bag is semi-permanently attached to the foot end of the hammock. The foot-end CL sticks out of the bag and the head end of the bishop bag is cinched down (with the cord lock) with the hammock suspension just inside, usually in a ziplock bag.
    Great idea.. that's too easy!! But I try to leave the bag on the head end CL as a backup water block or diverter. I'm going to do this ^^ today..

Next time I see you I would love it if you showed me the setup technique that uses body parts to estimate where / how to attach everything. I used to remember how you did it, but it's a use it or lose it deal. Plus I am getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    Before painting the heads of my titanium stakes I considered a bright red or orange too, and then it dawned on me that those colours predominant in autumn. Instead I used a lighter shade of blue, not as easily visually associated with nature's ground cover regardless of season.
    All of my stakes have reflective micro cord tethers on them, usually bright green. I used to paint the Ti shephard hooks but that didn't last. Thought about powder coating, but that was too much work. now I just put a piece of heat shrink on the head of the hook, usually green... double duty for adding color and to capture the tether cordage.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Guess I’m more tactile than visual. I pack under quilt foot end first. Hook head end and deploy.....
    Similar.. Top quilt goes in the pack first, under quilt second with foot end in first.. hook the head, pull from the pack and hook the foot, then clip the primary suspension to the RL to keep things positioned properly. Head end of quilts use black Tato Gear quilt hangers.. white at the foot.

I do the same with head/foot ends, but since I have multiple hammocks and quilts I don't use the color coding. I have locked and sliding whipping knots on all of my CL's to capture diamond knots in my suspension. I just use a contrasting micro cordage for the whipping knot, rather than the color of the CL. Plus, the half wit clone uses dynaglide CL's and the other hammock uses Amsteel.

Bug nets.. One is a DIY half wit that is sewn on.. no issue there. The other is a fully removable net. There is a kam snap under the peak triangle on the head and foot, color matched to the mating snap on the bug net. Can't confuse those if I tried.

I leave my guy lines on the tarp.. all of them. I can field craft a stake surrogate, but I can't replicate replacement lines, so I limit the chance of error, misplacing or forgetting them home by simply leaving all lines on the tarp. Same goes for the ridge lines.. they stay on the tarps.

Until recently, there was indeed a head / foot end on my tarps and my larger silpoly tarps are equipped with longer guy lines for what would be the porch mode side. To help here, I have a piece of colored micro cord woven into the diamond knots that are at the ridge tie outs of every one of my tarps.. orange threaded through the diamond knots weave indicates head end. My new cuben tarps are not directional.. yet.

On my two Hex 12 silpoly tarps, both olive yellow but one with doors one without (impossible to tell apart when in the stuff sack), I added a contrasting color grosgrain cap on the standing french seam at the ridge so I can tell which is which while in the noseeum stuff sacks.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    My dark colored top quilt is hard to distinguish which is in or out if getting back in the hammock in the middle of the night so I tied a short piece of brightly colored cord on the left corner tip of the quilt.
    I missed this the first time around. My TQ is dark olive in a dark olive hammock, so I'm stealing this one. Thanks!

All of my UQ's have red 'biners on the head end and black on the foot. Red head...black foot . Hammocks always have black whoopies on the foot and either red, blue or yellow whoopies for the head end. I have a blaze orange 2 ended stuff sack that whatever hammock I'm using seasonally will alway go in. It's too easy to mix up a green or black bag with one of my tarps. When backpacking, quilts are packed in a extra large CF bag from Hammock Gear. Clothing always goes in yellow dry bag and remainder of loose gear in various sil bags goes in one of those extra large zippered freezer bag. At a glance I know what's in it and it stands out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123