Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Visual cues for easier setup

This ended up being longer than I intended... TL;DR: I do some things to try to make my setup idiot-proof. What do you do?

I’m a fan of making things easy on myself. In fact, if I give myself the opportunity to screw something up, I will, and so I need to try to eliminate those opportunities where I can.

With that in mind, there are a few things I do with my hammock gear to protect me from myself.

For ease in setting up, I color-code everything. Head red, shoe blue. My hammock CLs are color-coded Amsteel. My UQ suspension has red and blue cordage and mini-biners. On double-ended stuff sacks and my catch-all sack, anything for which the head/foot orientation matters, I put red and blue cordage.

I don’t remove my bugnet often, so I don’t color-code that... but yesterday I set up my Double Dutch bugnet and realized I could easily get that wrong if I don’t pay attention, so I put red zipper pulls on one side (seam down) and orange pulls on the other. Red, in addition to being my head end, also ends up indicating my right side. Chameleon bugnets, I realized, can be zipped on four different ways, with 50/50 odds of getting it wrong (which means I would get it wrong 90% of the time). To help me along, I stick to a convention.

For zippers I don’t want to pull—like the one between my Chameleon and Sidecar—I remove the corded zipper pulls altogether. I leave the metal tabs, but when I look at them now, sitting there unadorned, a voice in my head says “NO!”

I keep my tarp tie-outs on my stakes these days. Red tie-outs are standard-length. Orange tie-outs are longer, for porch mode. All of the cordage that goes to the ground is reflective so I don’t lose it or trip over it. That includes my shock cord hammock tie-outs.

I have a little ridgeline light that I would lose if it weren’t attached... so it’s attached. 6” of shock cord will keep it connected to my ridgeline organizer until the battery dies, at which point I’ll cut it off, rinse, and repeat.

My tarp doesn’t care which end of it I put my head under, so it is colorless and boring, as is its skin.

Do you do anything creative with colors or have other hints on your hammock setup that I can shamelessly steal?
    Last edited by Snaps; 02-15-2019 at 10:23.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I love this and I am gonna shamelessly steal your ideas

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG UQ / WL TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Nice and simple! I have been using red/head and blue/shoe for years now lol. I do it to make setting up faster. I don't have to pull my hammock all the way out of the bishop bag. I just grab the blue end and hang it to the tree where I want my feet etc. My other gear has yet to give me any issue so no "idiot-proofing" on anything else yet.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here's an alternate solution for color-blind folks like me.

I keep my quilts, bugnet/sock, inflatable pillow connected all together, then always stuff the set-up in head first. That way it always comes out of the dry sack foot first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    This isn't so much for easier hammock setup but for organization in general.

1. Stuff sacks/ditty bags in brighter colors. While the earth tones are nice, I lose them faster or take too much time looking for one in a pile of similar colored stuff. I also try to use the same colors for categories of items. An example would be that my stake bags are red so I know if I need a stake, start looking for red in the pile of gear.

2. White Tyvek ground mat and everything gets tossed onto it as I'm setting up/breaking down. The white color gives a nice contrast to the gear laying on it. One pile of stuff, one place to look.

While I very much like green and brown in nature, I have found the advantage of contrasting colors for gear just makes life easier. My tarp, hammock and UQ are earth tone so my overall campsite presence still blends in.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    My dark colored top quilt is hard to distinguish which is in or out if getting back in the hammock in the middle of the night so I tied a short piece of brightly colored cord on the left corner tip of the quilt.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My head-end CL is black, while the foot is red. The bead on my whoopies (thru the sewn channel), head is green and foot is red. Colors keep things simple.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    A must for me is adding the MSR night glow zipper pulls on the bug net.

For small items I try to buy them in colors that sticks out... orange lighter and phone case, stakes with red coloring, blue charging cable, etc so I can spot them easily on the ground.

For tarp storage, I’ll use the company’s stickers on the bag cover.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I really liked that Amok did this by default as well

the carabiners are colour coded on the Draumr as well as the tarp (at least on the 3.0)

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Guess I’m more tactile than visual. I pack under quilt foot end first. Hook head end and deploy. Hammock is symmetric so does not matter. Same with the tarp. Top quilt no big deal just put my feet in and spread out over myself.
    For my netted hammock zipper faces me and foot to the left. If I hook it up wrong it takes 2 seconds to swap ends.

Likewise suspension is symmetrical except I have a soft shackle on one. This goes on the bigger tree if needed.

Never found head/ foot to be an issue. Except for under quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast