Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ok, so I realize this is just my personal opinion, but my thinking on pillows has evolved since moving from being a ground dweller to a hammock camper. I feel like the most important function for a pillow to do in a GE hammock is to cradle your neck at the right angle to keep your neck bones in alignment. Hence, I use an Arrowhead Equipment cub pillow for my gathered end. For a bridge or 90-degree hammock, however, I go with a pillow that's like what tent campers use. My personal favorite is the Nemo Fillo Elite at 3 oz.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Iceman857. My experience is different I find the GE hammock itself provides the necessary neck support/alignment and a pillow tips my head up at too much of an angle. In a GE, the (camp style) pillow - if I have one at all - is used under a knee or next to my head to push the bug screen away. I also have a felt bag I can stuff with clothes and a sea-to-summit inflatable. But if I used them at all, it would again to be for the variety of knee support or as a bug net pusher-awayer.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BWD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    Daisy Chain
    Pillow Horror story: Last month I took the kids up to near Prescott for an overnighter. I gave my son one of those U-shaped travel pillows to sleep with. It was stuffed with micro size foam pellets. As you can guess, it ripped open during the night. Looked like a snow globe inside his Hennessey Scout. The stuff got everywhere. He climbed out of his hammock in the morning and changed his clothes in my van ---and of course got the stuff all over the van. The stuff clings like static, so you can't just shake it off or sweep it. I had to go to the car wash and use the industrial vacuum on all our gear. I am still finding little foam pellets on stuff. Needless to say, the travel pillows are a no-go for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Iceman857. My experience is different I find the GE hammock itself provides the necessary neck support/alignment and a pillow tips my head up at too much of an angle.
    I definitely see your point. The AHE Cub pillow really doesn't go under the skull part of my head such that it tips my head like you mention, but it goes mostly under the neck, which is what allows my neck to stay straight. I had damage to my C7 vertebrae due to a rugby injury, so without the right support, I can get wicked neck-aches. YMMV, as they say.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Wow, that's a very timely anecdote. Good call on avoiding pillows with weird and super-annoying fill material.

I like the Arrowhead pillow a lot, but wish it were a little more packable.

Hammock
    new to it
    Insulation
    snuggler
    Suspension
    daisy chain
    I recently bought a hammock pillow from teton outdoors it is a really nice pillow very light non inflatable and has a nice stuff sack

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Of all things hammock related I think pillows are some of the most HYOH items. What works for some doesn't work at all for others. Some don't need one at all. Until recently I've always had bottom insulations that didn't cover head or feet and got use to using one as much for insulation as support. Now that I use a full length insulation kit, I still use one because it doesn't feel right w/o one.

At home where weight isn't an issue I use the Nemo Fillow on the trail I take one of SLD's. It crushes flat in the bottom of my pack and feels better and better the more times I use it.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    As @Rolloff stated, pillows are probably one of the most personal items in your kit.

Pillow
    No pillow
    Stuff sack with clothes
    Drybag with fleece layer
    Inflatable
    Down
    Synthetic

And so many options of each.

I must admit, at least now that I am analyzing it, I am kind of a princess when it comes to my pillow. I have tried each of the above and in some categories, several options.

I keep coming back to the Therm-a-rest compressible. I have a size small and have removed well over half of the fill material.

I prefer a fleece or soft and breathable fabric against my head. Inflatables cause my head to perspire too much. I don't even care for standard hammock materials here. I don't require much loft so the inflatables with a center valve were annoying(sea to summit)as my head would rest on the valve. The Dyneema dry bag dual purpose was not breathable enough for my liking.

I still might try a synthetic or down pillow from one of our vendors if I could get fleece one one side. I'm just not sure what the gain would be. My current modified Therm-a-rest comes in at 4.26oz. so maybe some weight savings and slight packability...not sure.

Thanks for stirring the gear junkie in me once again.... Off I go pillow shopping

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    It's been a while since I've been on the forums but this post piqued my interest. I think I've tried pretty much every type of pillow out there. I now have a ridiculous pillow "stash" of almost a dozen pillows. It's a highly personal gear choice and you really just have to try different options until you figure out what works for you.

I'm not a huge fan of air filled pillows since most tend to bulge awkwardly unless you get the perfect amount of air in it. When I was a ground dweller my favorite was a compressible Thermarest but it is heavy and bulky and didn't give me quite enough loft - I ended up folding it in half most of the time. The U-shaped travel neck pillows (compressible, non-compressible, and air) just don't work well for me. My hammock favorites so far have been the small Klymit X-pillow (which surprised me) and the Nemo Fillo, which is expensive and heavy but I can dial that sucker right where I want it, and the foam and cover are very comfortable. It's comfortable enough that I take it with me for non-backpacking travel.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    At home I use a "disposable" pillow that the hospital sent home with me after a surgery last summer. For whatever reason, it is just the right mix of flatness and support for the hammock. I haven't weighed it, but it weighs almost nothing. It is kind of bulky though, about the size of a traditional bed pillow. I have washed it many times too .

For camping, I use a neck pillow if on the motorcycle, or a piece of extra clothing if I am hiking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415