Tarp
    HG; ENO
    Insulation
    HG; Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images

Homeless Problem at Wolfpen Hang Site in Alabama

It will soon be time for Squidbilly to announce our Spring Hang at Wolfpen Camp in the Bankhead National Forest, Alabama. Before he announces the hang, I would like to bring up an issue for discussion on how to handle the homeless problem which has developed at Wolfpen. Last Fall when Wanda, Steve, and I arrived at Wolfpen Camp for our Fall Wolfpen Hang we found 5 homeless people in or close to the main camping area. Wolfpen is a no charge campground with no water or toilets. I am a retired Forensic Nurse and I worked with many sexual predators for over twenty years. After having discussions with two of the men they were showing signs of being possible sexual predators. This based on their words and actions. For the rest of the weekend our group spent a lot of time keeping an eye on our children and females attending the hang. A couple of weeks ago Wanda, Tammy and I drove through Wolfpen Camp and one of the men was still in the main camping area, living out of his car. It appears this man is moving to another camp site in the area every 14 days (NF rules) and returning to Wolfpen Camp. Even worse the rangers may not be enforcing the rule of only camping at the site for 14 days. Whatever the reason, this man is still in the area and poses a safety issue. What are your thoughts?

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite Explorer A-sym
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    I agree it's a problem and it was scary!!!
    I would be afraid to camp there alone, just John and I....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    We encountered a similar problem here in Kentucky. I would talk to the local rangers in the area and ask if they have a solution!

There was also a homeless woman that drives up from Dothan every so often to stay at the site. She worried me a bit, we need to keep an eye on her as well! Seriously though, a call to the ranger's station would be the first place to start and get their thoughts.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I agree with the advice above, talk to the Rangers. They can call in the local or state police if the situation warrants it.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    You can't pick your neighbors, especially at a public campground. Your best option is to find a place you feel more comfortable. Consider alternative public land or better yet, find someone with suitable private land willing to rent to your group for a weekend.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The easiest fix would be to start charging campers but I doubt that will happen in this area. A buddy and I were there last weekend and drove through the camp loop and there was just one guy in what looked to be a junk trailer. That area always seems sketchy to me. If you hiked in a bit it may discourage some of this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaaayne View Post
    There was also a homeless woman that drives up from Dothan every so often to stay at the site. She worried me a bit, we need to keep an eye on her as well! Seriously though, a call to the ranger's station would be the first place to start and get their thoughts.
    Well Waaaayne...I know that homeless woman (she's my favorite) and she seems REALLY cool to me. The last time I talked to her she said she was waiting on you to offer her a place to live. She said you probably wouldn't notice having one more mouth to feed! And you call her the "sketchy" one.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    The only solution is to move on.I would not stay camped around people who make me uncomfortable;especially if my family was involved.

Images
    On previous group hangs I have attended in the Sipsey, we always backpacked in. In which case, this problem is obviously avoided. But, there are probably lots of folks(most?) who would prefer car camping to hiking in. Including, sadly for all concerned, some of these folks who are essentially living there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast