Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20/20 down set - Make or Buy?

I am a fairly experienced seamstress and love to DIY BUT this is one project that intimidates me because of the down. I have looked for used quilts but they seem rare. I am debating between three options; make a set from scratch, UpCycle a set from a used down sleeping bag, or buy from a cottage vendor. I am leaning towards the sleeping bag option but I am concerned about weight and time spent. Also, bags with low temp ratings are running close too $100 on eBay.

I have car camped my whole life but I want to start backpacking so weight is a concern. I need to be frugal as I have sooooo much gear to buy. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginInStyle View Post
    I am a fairly experienced seamstress and love to DIY BUT this is one project that intimidates me because of the down. I have looked for used quilts but they seem rare. I am debating between three options; make a set from scratch, UpCycle a set from a used down sleeping bag, or buy from a cottage vendor. I am leaning towards the sleeping bag option but I am concerned about weight and time spent. Also, bags with low temp ratings are running close too $100 on eBay.

I have car camped my whole life but I want to start backpacking so weight is a concern. I need to be frugal as I have sooooo much gear to buy. Thanks for any help you can offer!
    As with any new hobby it is ok to start slow. If you have the ability perhaps go the CostCo quilt DIY route. For a late spring/summer weight I have a modified down sleeping bag for an underquilt and it works very well.

I’ve made several top and underquilts and they take a lot of time to make. The down is a big PITA to deal with. I love down quilts but will never make another one. If I’m making any more diy quilts it will be with Apex Climashield. I’ve made two sets of summer weight top and under quilts out of Climashield and I is 10 times easier than making a down quilt.

If you want down - go cottage vendor and then enjoy your awesome quilt.

Thank you for your honesty. I pictured down floating everywhere! lol I made 2 (one for me, on for a friend) costco underquilts for the summer but I am itching to get out before summer. I will look into cottage vendors now.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Hello, fellow seamstress and citizen of Huntersville. My 20* full length Climashield UQ weighs 23.7 oz (1.48 lbs) which I made myself. Used 6 oz Climashield and Argon 90 (which was easy to sew) and a full suspension. Certainly not as light or compressible as down, but workable until you upgrade to down. You can always repurpose a down sleeping bag for your TQ and save a little weight and space with that.

Materials were sourced from Dutchware Gear but I have also sourced from Ripstop by the Roll. Both are excellent.

If you would like any more detail, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by HanginInStyle View Post

With your sewing skills I wouldn't totally shy away from doing down-filled gear. There are plenty of vids out there to get you through the filling process. It's one of those things that is more intimidating up front than after you get into it. If you weren't focused on keeping things at backpacking weights and bulk, I'd strongly argue for getting by with a sleeping bag as a TQ. So, that said, I'd start with making a TQ. If that goes well, jump into the UQ project. The UQ is undoubtedly the more critical piece. If you opt not to make it, then look to the cottage vendors here. There are some incredibly great UQs available.

Going synthetic might not give you the compressibility desirable for backpacking. Only you can decide that.

You don't mention it but I'm guessing that you're contemplating making your own hammock and tarp. Plenty of info available. If you DIY a tarp, look at the kits available or plans from folks like kitsapcowboy. The hammock can be VERY simple if it's netless. A hammock with an integrated net is a bit more involved. Strongly consider 11' unless you're quite small.

My input:

I would eliminate option #2/upcycle as I don't think you'll get an optimal result which, for your time, $, and desire to backpack is not a great outcome.

DIY is within your capability. The sewing is not that advanced and the real labor comes in managing the down (I like the shop-vac / mesh method). Looking at your 20F TQ, I'd estimate 5 yds of MEMBRANE 15 from RSBTR would be ~$40, 2.5" precut baffle mesh ~$7, and a pound of quality 800FP down from downlinens is ~$120 (you can get cheaper down, but not that anybody agrees meets the advertised FP). Maybe $10 for misc (snaps, shock cord, cord lock, etc) and you're in $177, let's say $180.

Well, that's about what an HG Econ Burrow with 2oz of overfill would set you back, if not a little more. So no way am I making a down TQ with essentially the same specs of something I can buy for the same price and probably better quality.

https://www.hammockgear.com/economy-burrow/

The exception would be if I wanted to make a really UL quilt using 900-950FP down and a lighter shell. Then I'd probably think DIY.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

I just finished 2 zipperless bug nets from kits purchased from RipStop. Super easy, made them in under an hour.

Next up - my tarp I have to calm down and make a solid tarp but their prints are AMAZING! I scored a Eno double nest frmo REI for $27 a few weeks ago, otherwise I would be making my own hamock too- and still may if I can get cozy in a smaller hammock. So far I love the wdith of a double.

Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    Hello, fellow seamstress and citizen of Huntersville. My 20* full length Climashield UQ weighs 23.7 oz (1.48 lbs) which I made myself. Used 6 oz Climashield and Argon 90 (which was easy to sew) and a full suspension. Certainly not as light or compressible as down, but workable until you upgrade to down. You can always repurpose a down sleeping bag for your TQ and save a little weight and space with that.

Materials were sourced from Dutchware Gear but I have also sourced from Ripstop by the Roll. Both are excellent.

If you would like any more detail, feel free to PM me.
    Hi!! Thanks for the tip. I wil have to look into the Climashield.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    If you decide on down - I would purchase my winter equipment. There are economy quilts (example 20F HG Economy Phoenix for about $110 vs the 2 oz lighter Premium for $200).

If you decide synthetic, Climashield APEX is what I use. DIY or Arrowhead Equipment's 3 season Jarbridge uses 6 oz CS APEX and is rated at 25F. It goes on sale often for $85. It is a 3/4 UQ at 58" long. I'm 5'9" and it covers ankles to neck.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast