dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps

insulation build up

ok stupid question, my first time winter camping in a hammock was a disaster, like curled up around a fire with my blanket, knew very little when i done that. i have not went since but i am going to try it again, so i went and got an outdoor vitals 15 deg under quilt with a 15 deg over quilt, i also have a 15 degree down sleeping bag( don't want to get cold again lol) OK finally my question. with all that about what temp will that equate out to? thanks in advance

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Assuming Outdoor Vitals has semi-accurate temp ratings (I've never tried their gear), then the temp rating of your UQ will be the deciding factor. So I'd say no lower than 15.

Now, if you were on the ground w/a warm pad (ie: NeoAir XTherm) or combine an additional UQ, probably -20 or lower.

In a hammock, you can pile it on top and not be able to go lower than your bottom insulation because the cold air moving around the hammock will get ya!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I haven't heard anything good about Outdoor Vitals and their made-in-China gear, so I doubt their stuff is actually going to perform well. In other words, what they call a 15* quilt is probably not going to perform anywhere near that.

However, here's a chart showing how stacking works.

quiltstacking.jpg

In theory, if you stack two 20* quilts, that should take you down to -30* F. However, in your case, you are only stacking top quilts, so that doesn't really count. If you really want to stack you would have to stack both UQ and TQ. So assuming Outdoor Vitals accurately rates their quilts (which I highly doubt), your actual low will be 15* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some people use a topquilt that has a substantially higher rating than the UQ. For example, you'll hear of people using a 20* TQ with a 0* UQ and they claim that works for them. I don't personally subscribe to that theory: I always use TQ & UQ rated the same.

There are also people who believe in a 10* buffer (I'm one of them): always make sure your quilts are rated at least 10* lower than the expected lows. So if the expected low is 10* F, you would need 0* quilts.

With Outdoor Vitals, I would probably tend toward a 20* buffer. In other words, I wouldn't use those Outdoor Vitals 15* quilts at any temp below 35* F.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    What temp will it equate to?

You’ll read on here some people take a 0* bag to -10*. Others use that 0* bag at 40 and it’s just right.

Good time to buy an outdoor thermometer and do some testing. Make it someplace you can bail or have extra stuff around to supplement the heat. Then you’ll be able to answer the question f how it all works for you.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    You just need to experiment @ home.
    Everyone is different.
    See my signature for my discovery process.
    I started here in August of 2017.....slept outside my first time in October 2017.

Getting ready to go out tonight...it will be 31°

based on my many nights at home I know exactly what to bring.

25°-30° Hudson River Quilt
    25°-30° Greylock 3
    JRB Fleece Quilt Liner (adds 10°-15°) of warmth and I cannot sleep without it.
    No Tarp
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 02-13-2019 at 23:10.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    thanks guys, i am going to have to experiment then, i have tried it out in about 35 deg so far and felt nice and warm, then we got the -30 temps and i stayed in. what kind of gear would you suggest that is fairly budget friendly and a good product? i have 2 grown children that love getting my old gear lol.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    i would like to go to the iowa hang in yellow river this year so i would like to have it figured out before then

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlj75 View Post
    thanks guys, i am going to have to experiment then, i have tried it out in about 35 deg so far and felt nice and warm, then we got the -30 temps and i stayed in. what kind of gear would you suggest that is fairly budget friendly and a good product? i have 2 grown children that love getting my old gear lol.
    35° is the perfect temp for hammock camping.

-30° is the perfect temp for "The Shug" and I am no "The Shug"

Never been below 0° so I would defer to the snowbirds in your area on that one.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For 15 deg maybe get HG Econ 10 deg top and bottom and call it good.

Good, solid well-designed stuff that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg and is instantly 're-sellable' for substantial % of original price if you decide otherwise. I have a 0deg Incubator and for me it is actually warm at near 0 deg (specifically, +4 deg, coldest I've used it) and there are many reports of HG products meeting (or exceeding) temp ratings.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast