Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images

Question Putting a loop in Mule Tape

I just picked up a bunch of Mule Tape that I want to try out for my suspension but it doesn't have any loops in the ends. I plan to larks head it to my tree straps. How does one put loops in the end, just sew them in like the tree straps? It's 7/8 wide, 2500lb breaking strength.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    I have used a bowline and overhand knot. Neither came undone, but there was some shortening of the working end in the bowline. The Water Bowline seemed to work very well. (see Animated Knots). Basically in a Water Bowline you 'come out of the hole' through a clove hitch.

https://www.animatedknots.com/bowlinewater/index.php

All things considered, the overhand knot was easiest and worked as well as anything else I tried. Zero failure on any of the three.

Images
    Suggestion above seems perfectly legitimate to me. I have a set that have loops in one end that was done by sewing in the same pattern used on tree straps. The rectangular box with X inside. Very technical speak, I know...

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You can sew or tie a knot, it's up to you. Mule tape takes knots well.

If you sew a loop, you can make a clean connection. Either a larkshead or the loops can "hold hands" with a "loop to loop" knot. Put the working end of each section thru the loop of the other piece. Very clean connection.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    I have used a bowline and overhand knot. Neither came undone, but there was some shortening of the working end in the bowline. The Water Bowline seemed to work very well. (see Animated Knots). Basically in a Water Bowline you 'come out of the hole' through a clove hitch.

https://www.animatedknots.com/bowlinewater/index.php

All things considered, the overhand knot was easiest and worked as well as anything else I tried. Zero failure on any of the three.
    I've never heard of a water bowline, interesting and useful knot to add to my arsenal.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You might like alpine butterfly loop. Shown on YouTube David Hughes Phantom Grapplers recommended ties part 1, at 8 minutes and 2 seconds from start.
    Alpine Butterfly Loop resists jamming better than most loop knots. And it resists ring loading. If you put fingers in opposite sides of your mouth and pull sideways away from your mouth—this would be ringloading, if your mouth was a loop of rope. Some loop knots are not resistant to ringloading.
    When you untie alpine butterfly loop after heavy use, it unties easier than overhand knots. To untie pull on both legs of knot (not the loop), then push down on both “collars” that are encircling the “legs” (legs would be standing part and end part)

If you use an overhand or double overhand knot, instead of alpine butterfly loop, this is ok.
    To loosen this jammed knot, place it on hard floor or stone and stomp knot hard with heel of shoe.
    A jammed tight knot is usually round shaped—when you stomp it hard—it will become flatter, like a pancake. In order for it to flatten, the rope must take a longer path through knot and by definition will be loosened!
    You can protect your mule tape with paper or cloth on both sides before stomping. Also ok to use wooden mallet instead of shoe you’re wearing.
    Leave a tail on short end of knots, to help tighten knot and make less likely to unravel.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    You can sew or tie a knot, it's up to you. Mule tape takes knots well.

If you sew a loop, you can make a clean connection. Either a larkshead or the loops can "hold hands" with a "loop to loop" knot. Put the working end of each section thru the loop of the other piece. Very clean connection.
    Great to know, thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If you use an overhand or double overhand knot, instead of alpine butterfly loop, this is ok.
    To loosen this jammed knot, place it on hard floor or stone and stomp knot hard with heel of shoe.
    A jammed tight knot is usually round shaped—when you stomp it hard—it will become flatter, like a pancake. In order for it to flatten, the rope must take a longer path through knot and by definition will be loosened!
    You can protect your mule tape with paper or cloth on both sides before stomping. Also ok to use wooden mallet instead of shoe you’re wearing.
    Leave a tail on short end of knots, to help tighten knot and make less likely to unravel.
    Always learning something new here. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    You might like alpine butterfly loop. Shown on YouTube David Hughes Phantom Grapplers recommended ties part 1, at 8 minutes and 2 seconds from start.
    Alpine Butterfly Loop resists jamming better than most loop knots. And it resists ring loading. If you put fingers in opposite sides of your mouth and pull sideways away from your mouth—this would be ringloading, if your mouth was a loop of rope. Some loop knots are not resistant to ringloading.
    When you untie alpine butterfly loop after heavy use, it unties easier than overhand knots. To untie pull on both legs of knot (not the loop), then push down on both “collars” that are encircling the “legs” (legs would be standing part and end part)

I know the alpine butterfly, hadn't thought about it in a long time but is one knot I know. I can use that on the tree straps. These are going to be permanent loops on the ends of the Mule tape so I'm not concerned about undoing those knots if I choose to go that way. Thanks for info on the knot stomp, I didn't know that either.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    I'm in the same position as you, OP. I recently received some Mule Tape here, secondhand, and I'm looking at ways to whip up ~6 straps to connect to tree straps/huggers.

Relevant question: Does any knowledgeable person know if it's safe to use the water knot to join straps of different widths (in this case, 1/2" Mule Tape, and 1" Poly)?

Alternate question: is there a nice clean knot to connect straps of different sizes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast