Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you DO know/have a lay preference, an asym net will have less netting flopping around...

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    If you DO know/have a lay preference, an asym net will have less netting flopping around...
    Generally speaking, that is very true. I will say, however, that the Smurfs have done a excellent job with the proportions of their symmetrical nets so that there is not much (if any) excess fabric, and they do not droop onto your face. I've had my Raven (which uses a symmetrical net) for about 2 years, and have never experienced an issue with excess bug netting.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The Sparrow has a symmetrical net/overcover option now.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/Sparrow_custom.html
    I missed that! Though to me it looks like a whole-hammock option, not just net/overcover.

I'd contact DH to find out if they can accommodate an add-on overcover after the hammock's built. Could be they need measurements from the original hammock since they're all custom.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hang-anon View Post
    I missed that! Though to me it looks like a whole-hammock option, not just net/overcover.

I'd contact DH to find out if they can accommodate an add-on overcover after the hammock's built. Could be they need measurements from the original hammock since they're all custom.
    Yeah, they have options for asym right lay, asym left lay, or symmetrical lay that will be built into the hammock itself.

I don't think that the lay is a function of the net/overcover, but rather that the resulting net and/or overcover is a function of the type of lay that you choose.

Don't know about adding things like overcovers or nets after the fact--like you said, you should drop them an email and find out if this can be done later or not. I'm interested in whether that will work or not, too, so please let us know what you find out!

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Are you getting the Asym bugnet or the symmetrical bugnet? I'd recommend the fully symmetrical bugnet so you can lay anyway you'd like. The weight penalty is minimal unless you are a SUL backpacker counting every gram.
    Asym. Had recent left shoulder surgery and I sleep on my right side so head right should allow me to rest without too much discomfort. From what I have researched it seems like you get a better view to the outside world in an asym setup vs a sym setup. No first hand knowledge of that though.
    And not a gram weenie by any means. I go as light as I need to, but don't fret it too much.
    My first trek on the AT, which was also my first long distance hike I carried almost 60 lbs. Had an 85L pack full of all kinds of heavy junk. 2nd trip through the smokies I carried 8 days worth of food and fuel and was under 36lbs. Current base weight with a ground sleeping setup is 16 lbs. Will be a bit heavier with hammock but not enough to worry about.

Will always remember what a seasoned old hiker told me during my first trip. he said "I have been walking the AT for over 20 years and I ain't never seen anyone, carry as big of a pack as you are carrying right now."
    The attached pic is that beast. Osprey 85.jpg
    Last edited by Dougiep2010; 02-13-2019 at 22:54.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by hang-anon View Post
    I missed that! Though to me it looks like a whole-hammock option, not just net/overcover.I'd contact DH to find out if they can accommodate an add-on overcover after the hammock's built. Could be they need measurements from the original hammock since they're all custom.
    I don't want to veer off topic too far by commenting, but we are able to build nets and overcovers in a right, left or symmetrical shape for our existing hammocks. For hammocks that have been purchased within the past few months, we don't need the hammock back to accurately line up the zippers. Just contact us directly for details.

I sleep primarily on my right side. My hammocks are all right asym, i.e. feet right and head left. I don't like to have my face in the netting. Instead, I'm facing the far side with the back of my head near the zipper. Just something to consider...

Order #8104 submitted. Now the waiting begins

11' net only Sparrow Double Layer of 1.6 HyperD XL. Burnt Orange outer, Vader Blue inner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12