Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Re-introducing myself 7 years later

Exactly 7 years ago, I got the urge to hang between trees. A month later (March 2012), I had my full setup and never looked back to the tent. Getting out into the woods, meeting new people and spending a lot of time here on HF was a life-changer for me. I won't get into details, but seriously, it was a major (positive) change and I owe a lot of people who made it happen.

Fast forward to now and BOOM! My wife decides she wants a divorce. Long story short, I'll just say I was shocked to hear this and never got an explanation. I can't do anything about it at this point, so life goes on. Ironically, I made a New Year's resolution for the first time in my life this year - to stop focusing on the negative (which I'm good at). So this will unequivocally put that promise to the test. Life happened!!

Once this is all over in about a month, whatever happens with the house, kid, money, etc, I need to reinvest in myself and stay positive. Since I'll have more time than I know what to do with, I made a list:

1. Eat healthier. It's amazing how much your diet can change when living with someone that's the total opposite. I tried, but never really succeeded.
    2. Get healthier. I'm in good shape, but I pretty much stopped running and lifting weights regularly years ago. That changes now.
    3. More kayaking and day hikes after work.
    4. Read more (less TV and Netflix)
    5. More backpacking trips. More importantly, some LONGER trips. 4 nights is my longest so far but I want to try a week long trip here and there.
    6. More trips to new places and meet more HF members. For years I've done only solo trips and more recently some group trips which is a blast. I've met some of the nicest people this way. But now that I have the opportunity, I am looking forward to branching out to OH, PA, KY, or whatever group trips time allows.

That's my plan. I'm simply trying to make lemonade out of lemons. Luckily I have all the gear I need now, because I'll be flat broke after this. Other than gas money to get there, I'll make it work.

In my best Dutch impression: Hello everybody, I'm OneClick

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Web / Buckle
    Time in the wood's & time in the hammock allways help's me.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Wow! That stinks. Sounds like you've got some changes for the better coming though.
    I'd have to agree with #1-6. I'm working on those as well. I doubt I'll break my longest trip any time soon. Spent 9 days in Algonquin. Ahh forest bathing. I'm not sure which I prefer more, solo or group hangs. They both have there place. I'm looking forward to meeting some new hangers this year.
    Keep your head up Mark, things will work out in the end.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow! Was this totally unexpected? So far it sounds like you have a handle on this so good luck and sorry to hear this.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    There's an idiom I repeat to myself. "I am never finished becoming the man I will ultimately be." It reminds me that who I am today and where I am today, resulted not from a single choice but, from the totality of all the little course corrections I chose before today. More importantly, when unexpected events or circumstances challenge my identity, this idiom reminds me, I am not yet finished.

OneClick, you've got a good attitude and a good plan in the face of really crappy circumstances. Keep your compass oriented toward your ideal, correct course as needed.

Good Luck on your journey.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    If you ever get to Massachusetts, I have an extra kayak just waiting for your butt to get into.

Sorry to hear the bad news but pretty much everybody I know who went through what you are came out of it better. I have nothing else to offer except an ear and a bottle of really good bourbon.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Time to thru hike the AT.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Luckily I have all the gear I need now, because I'll be flat broke after this.
    Wow, sorry to hear the journey has hit a large bump in the road. Based solely on your posts, you seem like an intelligent and likeable guy and I hope you land on your feet. Having a lot less money myself now than in the past I'm enjoying learning to do more with less, though like you I have everything I need and most things I want. Your resolution to get out and use the gear sounds like a good plan. Good luck.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Images
    Sorry to hear about this, OneClick! Thia might sound preposterous right now, but may it all work out for your good in the long run!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast