Red face Older Guide Gear Tarp?

All,

Trying to purchase and use current gear for our first hammock camping trip this Spring. We plan on hanging at least a few times at home overnight to practice and adjust. I have multiple tarps, but only one that "may" work for hammock camping. It's an older guide gear that is approximately 11' long and 8'+ wide. This one has what i would call "small doors/seamless" similar to Warbonnet Minifly on ends. My concerns are keeping dry using this tarp. I have added a couple pics, sorry could not find ones that did not have anyone in them, so please for give the "free" look. I believe it satisfies the length for an 11' hammock and just by reviewing my pics over the last 10yrs that we have used it I don't think I will have an issue with it if set up low for the hammock. Just wanting to get everyone's thoughts and concerns as I have to order one tarp no matter what for the wife.

Oh one other point, please don't judge our car hammocks, as these where just brought for cat naps, and last yr's trip actually set us up for full time hanging!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That tarp should work just fine but I would recommend lowering it in rainy weather. You should check out Hammockgear as they have a really good deal on a couple of tarps right now.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think Guide Gear has ever made reliable tarps. I have a couple of 12 x 12s from 2012 that leak like sieves. I wouldn't let my worst enemy use a Guide Gear tarp.

There was a period where everyone on HF thought they were the best tarp value ever, but I think that was mass hysteria. Even people who recommended the tarp to me admitted that, in hind sight, it wasn't a very good tarp. I think they got caught up in the hysteria too.

They were recently selling on Sportsman's Guide for up to $69.99, but I see they are currently selling at $25 to $28. I paid $20 each for my two Guide Gear tarps - money down the drain.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...lter?a=2164424
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

All I can contribute is the tarp I have, has to be 10+yrs old, has been on many BW trips. We have never used it for hammock camping, but 6 grown men have huddled under it many times for hours at a time and stayed dry. I have never treated it, and only added tie outs, and has held water (wasn't tied up correctly) with very little coming through. With that being said it is on the heavy side compared to today's tarps. Not sure what I paid, but it was good money spent and still has many years of service left.

Today I have a little more $$ to spend and weight is a factor. If I have to make a decision between a $30 vs. $80 tarp the lighter one will make the cut.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Gear Guide use to the gold standard for very cheap tarps years ago. I got two of them. Then they started getting really cheap ( and they were already cheap ) and advertising the tarps to be much larger than they were ( we are not talking inches but being a foot or two shorter ) They quickly fell out of favor. I am sure you can still find the threads on them.

The tarps did need to be seamed sealed. But then all tarps should be water tested before taking out into the field just to make sure and it is easy to seam seal a tarp if needed.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty3 View Post
    All I can contribute is the tarp I have, has to be 10+yrs old, has been on many BW trips. We have never used it for hammock camping, but 6 grown men have huddled under it many times for hours at a time and stayed dry. I have never treated it, and only added tie outs, and has held water (wasn't tied up correctly) with very little coming through. With that being said it is on the heavy side compared to today's tarps. Not sure what I paid, but it was good money spent and still has many years of service left.

Today I have a little more $$ to spend and weight is a factor. If I have to make a decision between a $30 vs. $80 tarp the lighter one will make the cut.
    HG Quest is a good value for a lighter tarp, although if you need one in a hurry check Dutchware. And SLD, while custom made, is lightning fast. Dutch models and SLD trail haven are going to run about $120 or so, but good, light gear is not going to come at Amazon China-made prices.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts