Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckles

Enlightened Equipment Revelation vs Hammock Gear Burrow - is the EE worth the extra money?

Longtime ground sleeper, getting into the world of hammocking. Being from Upstate NY and growing up mostly hiking in the Adirondacks, I got a Brooks Range 20 degree sleeping bag for the ground and love it but now that I'm hiking mostly in the south, it's overkill and a bit heavy (just under two and a half pounds) for most hikes outside late fall and early winter. I'm looking for an affordable quilt that's good for both the ground and hammocks and am leaning towards either the Enlightened Equipment Revelation or the Hammock Gear Burrow Econ in 20 degrees.

Can anyone who flip-flops between the ground and hammocks speak to whether the burrow quilt is okay for the ground and/or if the EE is worth the extra money for versatility, warmth, and/or weight savings?

The old saying "buy once, cry once" is true. How much of a difference is it really and did you look at what shipping costs are? How about the economy burrow as a possible choice? It may be a little heavier than a comparable EE, but the trade off in weight vs price may make it a good option. I've got 3 EE (0 enigma, 20 and 40 degree revelations). The one thing I really like is that I upgraded my 0 and 40 to "wide" and it was well worth it.

99.5 percent of my use has been in the hammock, but when I did have to use it on the ground it worked out, since EE includes straps for the sleep pad.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG UQ / WL TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I have an Econ Burrow 40 degree and I have been very impressed with it. Very comfortable and the draft collar and ability to cinch the top really help in the hammock when it gets chilly. It is narrow on me but would work on the ground if need be. Never used EE, but the burrow is very nice and should be fine on the ground. Me personally, I would consider getting a wide model if I were going to be on the ground very often.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Can anyone who flip-flops between the ground and hammocks speak to whether the burrow quilt is okay for the ground and/or if the EE is worth the extra money for versatility, warmth, and/or weight savings?
    Only you can answer that. If you're a dedicated ULer (or on a laser-focused campaign to become seriously UL) then yes, the weight savings are worth the extra money. For instance, a custom-made 20deg Enigma with 950fp down and 7D shell is going to weigh 18.4 oz, but it's going to cost $425.

This only makes sense if your entire kit is UL. Having one super light, expensive piece when the rest of the gear is relatively heavy is pointless.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    I own both an EE Enigma and a HG Burrow, both 10D fabric, both sewn foot boxes. Honestly, they are both outstanding topquilts, but if think you might go to ground on a pad the EE quilts have the best pad strap system.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by baldknobber View Post
    I own both an EE Enigma and a HG Burrow, both 10D fabric, both sewn foot boxes. Honestly, they are both outstanding topquilts, but if think you might go to ground on a pad the EE quilts have the best pad strap system.
    I also have both these quilts and agree with baldknobber. You can also get the EE quilt even wider if you are large bodied and think you might need it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    I have both quilts as well and agree with baldknobber that the EE pad strap system is best. I have to go to the ground when I bring my youngest camping so I have both quilts in the wide format. Not much difference in overall quality and comfort although I will say that at even ratings and with no overfill the HG is slightly but noticeably warmer. I've heard that the new EE quilts are being made with a bit more down in them because of some concerns that they weren't living up to their temp ratings but I haven't used/seen one.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Since I make my own gear I notice more things with sewing than I used to. I’ll say that, IMO, EE has a little better construction/stick quality. It seems more “professional” than cottage. My observation come from me owning three EE quilts while I’ve handled various HG quilts that my buddies have purchased. Perhaps I’m just picky and obsessed with perfection but I believe my sewing to be better than some cottage quilts I’ve seen whereas I can’t touch the quality of EE quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    Since I make my own gear I notice more things with sewing than I used to. I’ll say that, IMO, EE has a little better construction/stick quality. It seems more “professional” than cottage. My observation come from me owning three EE quilts while I’ve handled various HG quilts that my buddies have purchased. Perhaps I’m just picky and obsessed with perfection but I believe my sewing to be better than some cottage quilts I’ve seen whereas I can’t touch the quality of EE quilts.
    I'm glad you said that... I got 2 conundrums and 2 revolts (for my wife and I) simply based on the reviews. Quality and longevity are more important than saving a few bucks, esp seeing as these quilts should last decades.

• + New Posts