Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading Top Quilt

I'm going to be upgrading my top quilt, mainly to save room in my new smaller pack. I'm in a Chameleon hammock. I upgraded my DYI costco uq to a UGC 20* last summer and I love it. My top quilt is the Snugpack hammock quilt. I love it, but its just too big for my pack. I have brought it down to 32* and that was about its limit. We mostly backpack in the early summer and early fall. Temps can get down to 32-40* at night. Since I am happy with the UGC, I'll probably get their Bandit top quilt. In terms of temp rating, do you think I could get away with the 30*?

I like the a sewn foot box, but the zipper and cord one may be able to double as a cape on cold mornings in place of a puffy jacket (I am really trying to cut weight). I like to move around when I sleep and sleeping bags make me very claustrophobic. How does the taper vs. non-taper foot box feel in this regard?

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Can’t go wrong with any of the cottage vendors. UGQ is excellent. In Canada, you should give James at Little Shop of Hammocks a good look.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I know you're Canadian and all, but Montreal is cold AF. I would, especially for owning just one quilt, get the 20 degree. This way you aren't limited on a later fall trip or an especially cold early summer trip. The difference in pack size between a 20 and 30 is negligible and it's always good to have a buffer.

Also from Montreal, also started with a snugpak. I am a warm sleeper, the snugpak was good down to -5Celcius for me as long as my underquilt is good.

My first attempt at replacing the snugpak was a 20 degree Bandit that I over stuffed 2 oz. It is WAY too warm for me and I can now only use it as a winter quilt. Anything above -10Celcius and I spend the night sweating and venting.

I just received my black friday order from HG, got a 30 degree premium burrow no overstuff. I haven't used it yet but I know its gonna go at least as far as the snugpak and it packs very small and I love the weight.

Burrow vs bandit I would say go with whoever has best price + shipping on the day you order... both a fantastic quality quilts. Cant comment on draw+snaps, never owned one. Personally I would say get a 30 and if you go on a trip where you think it might get really cold supplement it with a costco quilt. Or if your a colder sleeper just get a 20 and don't overstuff. All my quilts have been full taper.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    If you like to bend your knees, the no taper is nice. But with UGQ, you need to add some overstuff if you go with no taper. Be sure to ask them about this via email if you do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I agree with Brooklyn, a 20° quilt would be a better option in your neck of the woods.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canada_doug View Post
    I'm going to be upgrading my top quilt, mainly to save room in my new smaller pack. I'm in a Chameleon hammock. I upgraded my DYI costco uq to a UGC 20* last summer and I love it. My top quilt is the Snugpack hammock quilt. I love it, but its just too big for my pack. I have brought it down to 32* and that was about its limit. We mostly backpack in the early summer and early fall. Temps can get down to 32-40* at night. Since I am happy with the UGC, I'll probably get their Bandit top quilt. In terms of temp rating, do you think I could get away with the 30*?

I like the a sewn foot box, but the zipper and cord one may be able to double as a cape on cold mornings in place of a puffy jacket (I am really trying to cut weight). I like to move around when I sleep and sleeping bags make me very claustrophobic. How does the taper vs. non-taper foot box feel in this regard?
    Whatever you get, for minimum stuffed size (and weight!) you want thin shell material and highest lofting down you can afford.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Did you order one yet? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Thank you all for your feedback! I didn't order yet, but I think I will go with the 30* UGQ Bandit. I vented by 20* UQ last time because it was too hot. I think I'll be good. Still thinking about taper / vs non and the footbox. Anyone ever use a top quilt as a jacket like the Jacks r better Sniveler? I don't want to carry my puffy anymore (1lb) to save weight and was thinking about asking the UGQ guys to add this feature. I rarely use the puffy. Just sometimes at night or in the morning before I get going. Maybe its too much of a gimmick?

Quote Originally Posted by canada_doug View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback! I didn't order yet, but I think I will go with the 30* UGQ Bandit. I vented by 20* UQ last time because it was too hot. I think I'll be good. Still thinking about taper / vs non and the footbox. Anyone ever use a top quilt as a jacket like the Jacks r better Sniveler? I don't want to carry my puffy anymore (1lb) to save weight and was thinking about asking the UGQ guys to add this feature. I rarely use the puffy. Just sometimes at night or in the morning before I get going. Maybe its too much of a gimmick?
    I am debating the same thing regarding tapers for my first topquilt! I actually have another window open selecting my Loco Libre Gear Ghost Pepper top quilt as we speak, and think I am going to go with no taper. I usually feel very restricted in mummy style bags and therefore end up unzipping them, and have read others who say side layers and tossing/turning folks (like me) appreciate no taper so I'm just going with that suggestion. It's a little daunting however, never having seen the differences side by side, so I'm totally with you! I emailed George directly, and his response was that he most often recommends half taper (5 inch) because it is a good compromise. But I think I will still go with no taper based on what I stated above. Let me know what you end up going with and how it works for you, I'm curious!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast