Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Top quilt for puppy paws

Hello there,

I've been hanging for just under a year and love it. To this point I've been using a sleeping bag and then a wool blanket for my dog. We travel the country training for SAR and have found that hammock camping gives us a better sleeping experience and I don't have to deal with all kinds of ground conditions. Plus the hammock is wonderful for my neck and back support due to old injuries.

I'm looking at upgrading to a top quilt for my K9 and I but am concerned with his claws and ripping a thin layer/down top quilt. I'm curious to what others have done to help with this. Due to my insane schedule I don't sadly have time to try and make something myself.

I've camped in the South, the South West, and the Midwest and I've gotten cold a couple times so I'm also looking at upgrading my underquilt, thats a different thread though.... I don't hope to hang below 30-40 degrees but I generally do have my SAR K9 with me more often than not so something that is durable for the two of us would be helpful.

Thank you everyone for an amazing forum! Its so helpful and I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I never had any issues with my pooch and TQ. She was only 10 lbs and very well behaved. For the most part your dog's claws should really only be making contact with the hammock. I would recommend going with a more durable fabric than a thin lightweight. I believe that HG econo quilts are made from the Ion fabric which is durable and soft.
    Good luck with your quilt search. Lots of good choices among the cottage vendors. You should find the TQ much more comfortable and way easier to get in and out of the hammock.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would stay away from 10D quilt fabrics. 15D is more robust. 20D might be better. But I would stick with nylon and stay clear of polyester. Polyester is noticeably weaker. However I only have experiences with human handling.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok thank you that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have HG premium quilts and my beagle Joey has never caused any damage to them. However, he does occasionally scratch at the bugnet when he wants to take a leak. Luckily, I'm a light sleeper so he's never damaged the bugnet.

Interestingly, I find my own fingernails to be more of a problem. Last time I went out camping, I forgot my nail clips, and I had a nail that kept snagging the quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts