Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Summer TQ Options?

I'm very new to hammocking (only slept twice in in my backyard so far) and I've been looking around for some summer TQ options, including both MYOG or purchased gear. I live in Texas and tend to backpack and camp in the Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas areas. I'm primarily looking for something lighter than my EE 30-degree Revelation (17.3 oz) when I don't need the warmth. I'm struggling to find something significantly lighter for the warmer months. I know some people will say to just sleep in clothes, but I really like the feel of having a sheet or quilt over me.

Quilt options I'm considering so far:
    • Costco Down Quilt, cut down in width, sew in a footbox, 12-14oz, $20+supplies
    • MYOG summer quilt (membrane10 or argon67 inner/outer + 2.5oz apex) ~12-13 oz, ~$40-$50
    • EE Apex Revelation 50-degree, 11-12oz, $175

Are there lighter insulation materials for an even lighter top quilt/sheet? I can't seem to find anyone who sells the ~1.8oz weight insulation.

For really warm weather I'm looking for a good sheet option. Silk sheets may be an option, but I was also thinking of making a sheet from Dutch's ION fabric (1 or 2 layers, not sure). I'd like to make a simple footbox even for the sheet, just so it stays in place better (I hate when I pull the sheet off my feet in the night).

What other options should I be considering? I'd like to save some weight for the spring/summer months.

PS. I currently have a HG 40-degree Econ Phoenix (3/4 length) underquilt for the warmer weather.

Thanks,

Tim

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Check out Loco Libre's 60° Recon Series Ghost Pepper Topquilt. George also has lightweight Operator underquilts to compliment the Recon GP quilts.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In warmer weather, I use either a fleece sleeping bag or a synthetic silk bag liner, or both together, depending on conditions. The fleece bag is especially nice in humid weather as it does a good job of wicking away some moisture.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    JRB Fleece Summer Blanket/Fleece Quilt Liner

It is never away from me and my hammock.

You cant separate us.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Summer TQ Options?

I went on a summer hike where the lows were in the 70s. I brought my 40 degree underquilt, and I figured I'd just bring a sheet instead of my 30 degree top quilt. I was cold! I will never leave my top quilt at home again.

Later that year in the fall , I slept in 70s lows one night, but I brought my 30 degree top quilt. when I got hot, I just vented it.

Moral of the story - a 30 degree top quilt is doable for warmer temps. The weight difference between a lightweight 30 degree TQ and a lightweight 50 or 60 degree TQ isnt worth spending $150 or more to me.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Fleece DIY TQ and a silk SB liner here too.
    I bought the silk SB liner and made the fleece TQ using a fleece throw and Kap Snap foot box.
    If I hadn't already purchased/owned the silk liner, I would have made a liner from a sheet and KamSnaps.

Making DIY TQs with KamSnaps is easy and cheap to make several. Use what you have - stack them as you need. I have:
    My fleece TQ = 60F
    DIY Down from a throw = 55F
    DIY Synthetic from a throw = 50F

I do have a SnugPak Jungle bag (a 45F sleeping bag with hood/bugnet) that I will use when it is cooler than 50F and stack it with one of the DIY as needed.

My philosophy for summer is to Keep it simple, yet versatile. I saved my $$ and purchased good cold weather gear.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-14-2019 at 11:14.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    CDT or a thin bag liner as others have suggested

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Weight vs $ becomes a very tight game when dealing with summer weight gear. For winter gear the weight vs cost is a pretty clear trade off, if you can afford it. Hugh quality down in bulk vs heavier and cheaper synthetics is a clear significant weight saving for a significant increase in cost. As you shrink things for summer months that ratio shrinks significantly. By your own numbers, you are at a 1oz-2oz weight savings for $20-$40 bs $175. That’s a big swing of diminishing returns.It all comes down to, “how much is an ounce worth to ya?”

For me, my answer was, I could handle a few ounces, for now. I may build a lighter summer quilt in the future, but right now, I’ll carry a smaller tarp.

My summer quilt is a modified CDT, with seams ripped, and cut down for width, with 10” sewn onto the foot end for length, and 2 extra ounces of down in the new foot chambers. Weight is 15 oz. my diy 20 degree quilt is 20 ounces. That’s 5 ounces of weight savings for effectively 20-30 degrees of warmth, depending on clothing worn. (I’ve hit 40 with the summer quilt wearing a fleece jacket, heaving base bottoms, and two pairs wool socks, and been quite comfy). For summer I’ll take the pack size/weight reduction, but $140 for a few ounces is not worth for me now. It’s all about you cost benefit analysis.

Edit: what evening temps are you trying to hit? If I know I’m dealing with 70 degree evening temps for the duration of a trip, I may bring a sleeping bag liner combined with light base layers. If I’m out for a prolonged period in the summer, where I normally go, I have to prepare for at least 50, even at the height of summer. I can get swings in the midaltantic mountains of 30 degrees over a course of week trip.
    Last edited by Monkeyboy42; 02-13-2019 at 21:17.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to take a look at those fleece options and bag liners again. Most of the fleece are equal or heavier than my down TQ, but relatively cheep, and may be more comfortable to sleep with. Though seems like the modified CDT is pretty good way to go. I even have several here at the house already. I can't really justify the $150 for 1-2 ounce weight reduction either. But something up to about $50 range, especially if I actually have fun with the DIY, is probably worth it.

I know it may sound crazy, but I've backpacked and camped here in the Texas heat with day time highs in the 90s and lows that barely make it to the 70s at the low. Its those trips where I think I want a sheet to sleep with. I had a CDT with me on those before (in a tent) and never used it.

Thanks again.

Tim

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tpag2000 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to take a look at those fleece options and bag liners again. Most of the fleece are equal or heavier than my down TQ, but relatively cheep, and may be more comfortable to sleep with. Though seems like the modified CDT is pretty good way to go. I even have several here at the house already. I can't really justify the $150 for 1-2 ounce weight reduction either. But something up to about $50 range, especially if I actually have fun with the DIY, is probably worth it.

I know it may sound crazy, but I've backpacked and camped here in the Texas heat with day time highs in the 90s and lows that barely make it to the 70s at the low. Its those trips where I think I want a sheet to sleep with. I had a CDT with me on those before (in a tent) and never used it.

Thanks again.

Tim
    Yes, fleece is going to be a bit heavier and possibly bulkier, but it is cheap. Also, for reference, the "synthetic silk" (polyester) bag liner I have is 5.7 ounces and the stuff sack is about the size of a soda can. You can actually compress it down to half that size. The one I have is the "old model" (got it for $5 a few years back), but the current model is listed as weighing 0.5 pound and costs a whole $12.

It sounds like that would be ideal for those warm Texas nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast