Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Your idea of tethering the spreader tips to the hammock sounds like a big improvement!

I learned how to use the poles by reading all the guides and tips found on the PacerPole website. Lots of useful info there. There are several pages throughout the website, so be sure to check them all out if interested. The techniques are applicable to any kind of pole.
    https://www.pacerpole.com/
    They’re all under the various sections under Overview, How To Use, and FAQ

I agree that there are many more ideas worth testing in this space and many have crossed my mind while using it out on the trail.
    Being a midwesterner... Cross country ski propulsion wasn't quite the foreign concept to me as it likely was to you if you grew up down south.

Yar, I recall discussing that with some folks along side the 'natural' running style debates for hiking. It's all interesting stuff for sure and was a hot topic of discussion for FKT/speed hikes/Ultra runners that still continues.

Though many do prefer the Teddy Roosevelt approach.

Reminds me often of Colin Fletcher's love of a stave, which he found handy if "he wanted to appear conspecific with a unicorn should he by chance encounter one"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As JB knows, I am testing one of his development-stage hammocks for which I am using as spreader bars my MYOG trekking poles that weigh 243g per pair, maybe 255g/pair after a minor mod for use as spreaders. They are carbon fiber and easily have more than 3000 miles on them with no breakage.

Although I am easy on gear, I don't baby them, but OTOH there are people who would break them within the first 5 miles so YMMV. In my experience, however, CF has been pretty durable.

I don't know which of JB's design elements are proprietary so I am reticent to describe further or post photos. Suffice to say, however, that modifying trekking poles is probably not too difficult for people who enjoy MYOG. When collapsed as spreader bars I consider these things fairly bulletproof at 36" length... one big reason for this is that when the poles are collapsed the wall thickness is doubled in the middle, just where it's needed.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    After reading the posts above, I think that I will purchase the carbon fiber from loca locura.
    I will keep my poles for my tarp setup.

Thanks Handy Randy , Just Bill , for your thorough explanations .

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post
    After reading the posts above, I think that I will purchase the carbon fiber from loca locura.
    I will keep my poles for my tarp setup.

Thanks Handy Randy , Just Bill , for your thorough explanations .

Many thanks
    Rick, did u purchase the bars? If so do you like them?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant0 View Post
    Rick, did u purchase the bars? If so do you like them?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hi AdamanTO

No I didn't buy it yet. I bought 2 diamond quilts & run out of funds for now . At least that's what my bank manager at home told me

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    Superfly or Hammoc
    Insulation
    underquilt sleepin
    Suspension
    UHMP straps, whoop

Smile if anything constructed like this exists for <$200, and is 59" or longer, i’d love to know befor

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy;[URL="tel:1951495"
    1951495[/URL]]I have a set of carbon fiber spreader bars for the WBRR that I had Josh make for me. I asked him to make me ones that could convert into a long walking staff...
    if anything constructed like this exists for <$200, and is 59" or longer, i’d love to know before i buy the ZPacks...
    Last edited by Dozuki Dirtbag; 10-11-2021 at 13:27.

Responding to Dozuki Dirtbag,
    There was a company called Luxurylite who made the Bigstik. I bought one and used it for my spreaders on another bridge. Then years later The owner made some custom length spreader bars for me, that when combined made a staff. I see that they have a new name, and a new page for the Bigstik http://www.neotrekk.com/index.html
    It might be worth contacting them to check the current options…

Edited to say; the price is more than it used to be, but it looks like improvements were made. The 56 inch Carbon SingleWall BigStik at $180 is a pretty close match to your request, but spreader end connections would have to be figured out. In the build your own Bigstick section, they do have camera mount end plugs, but they look a bit heavy. Good luck.
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 10-11-2021 at 18:12.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    Superfly or Hammoc
    Insulation
    underquilt sleepin
    Suspension
    UHMP straps, whoop
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Responding to Dozuki Dirtbag,
    There was a company called Luxurylite who made the Bigstik. I bought one and used it for my spreaders on another bridge. Then years later The owner made some custom length spreader bars for me, that when combined made a staff. I see that they have a new name, and a new page for the Bigstik http://www.neotrekk.com/index.html
    It might be worth contacting them to check the current options…

Edited to say; the price is more than it used to be, but it looks like improvements were made. The 56 inch Carbon SingleWall BigStik at $180 is a pretty close match to your request, but spreader end connections would have to be figured out. In the build your own Bigstick section, they do have camera mount end plugs, but they look a bit heavy. Good luck.
    hey thanks. and yeah, i'd dug up that nice but overpriced staff before. sadly, it's not >59" for the way too expensive already setup, not to mention extra customization...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12