Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperflY
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie Sling

Thumbs up Sheltowee Shell UQ Review

I recently purchased the Sheltowee Shell UQ (it is a full length 20 degree UQ) from Shelhammocks.com, Alex Gash - made in the USA in the great State of Kentucky), to use with my WBBB XLC. I am in Kingwood, TX but I back pack and camp all over the US. Just this weekend, after ordering and receiving my new UQ from Alex in 4 days, we had a somewhat rare cold front come through. Temps last night got down to 34 where I am and the wind was howling per my Davis weather station (and confirmed by the nearby airport weather station) with continuous gusts between 20-25 mph for several hours.

I have always had to constantly tweak my UQs used with my WBBB XLC as I tend to toss a couple of times at night and I would invariably have to reposition my UQ when I would create some air leakage and resulting cold spots. Man, this new UQ by Sheltowee is fabulous. It has high sides and the insulation easily comes up to my shoulders and around my foot box and once dialed in (there are a number of adjustment points to dial in this UQ and wrap your hammock so that it simply does not move no matter how much you get in and out of the hammock and toss and turn during the night - see excellent YouTube video by Spiguyver). I was extremely toasty all night and the high winds did not create any sort of convection heat loss at all. I did team this UQ with the UQ protector from 2QZQ but honestly, this was to protect it from any misty rain which was being blown around and even occassionly under my WB Superfly tarp even though tied down in Storm mode. I HIGLY RECOMMEND any one looking for a bomb proof UQ that, once dialed in with all the adjustable suspension points (which by the way was very easy to do), you will be extremely pleased with this UQ product. I have used a number of UQs in connection with my WBBB XLC and will be using this UQ with my Dutchware Chameleon tonight but I expect the same results if not better as fitting my UQs to my WBBB XLC has always been a little bit of a challenge. I never bought a WB Wookie as I like to change hammocks and was looking for a “one type fits all UQ” and boy I finally found it. Hope this helps and my thanks and congratulations to Alex and Sheltowee for such a fabulous product.
    Last edited by Gatorleon; 02-09-2019 at 12:53.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorleon View Post
    I never bought a WB Wookie as I like to change hammocks and was looking for a “one type fits all UQ”
    The Wooki fits all gathered end hammocks that are the same length or longer. All you need to do is add some cord at the ends. I have used mine with a 14' Brazilian hammock without problems. However, I'm curious how the Wooki compares with the Shell UQ.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They do look real nice. I saw Dutch's video and liked what I saw.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I recently purchased the Sheltowee Shell UQ (it is a full length 20 degree UQ) from Shelhammocks.com, Alex Gash - made in the USA in the great State of Kentucky), to use with my WBBB XLC. I am in Kingwood, TX but I back pack and camp all over the US. Just this weekend, after ordering and receiving my new UQ from Alex in 4 days, we had a somewhat rare cold front come through. Temps last night got down to 34 where I am and the wind was howling per my Davis weather station (and confirmed by the nearby airport weather station) with continuous gusts between 20-25 mph for several hours.

I have always had to constantly tweak my UQs used with my WBBB XLC as I tend to toss a couple of times at night and I would invariably have to reposition my UQ when I would create some air leakage and resulting cold spots. Man, this new UQ by Sheltowee is fabulous. It has high sides and the insulation easily comes up to my shoulders and around my foot box and once dialed in (there are a number of adjustment points to dial in this UQ and wrap your hammock so that it simply does not move no matter how much you get in and out of the hammock and toss and turn during the night - see excellent YouTube video by Spiguyver). I was extremely toasty all night and the high winds did not create any sort of convection heat loss at all. I did team this UQ with the UQ protector from 2QZQ but honestly, this was to protect it from any misty rain which was being blown around and even occassionly under my WB Superfly tarp even though tied down in Storm mode. I HIGLY RECOMMEND any one looking for a bomb proof UQ that, once dialed in with all the adjustable suspension points (which by the way was very easy to do), you will be extremely pleased with this UQ product. I have used a number of UQs in connection with my WBBB XLC and will be using this UQ with my Dutchware Chameleon tonight but I expect the same results if not better as fitting my UQs to my WBBB XLC has always been a little bit of a challenge. I never bought a WB Wookie as I like to change hammocks and was looking for a “one type fits all UQ” and boy I finally found it. Hope this helps and my thanks and congratulations to Alex and Sheltowee for such a fabulous product.
    Question, is it adjustable for venting if it gets too warm? Thank you for the great review!
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The Wooki fits all gathered end hammocks that are the same length or longer. All you need to do is add some cord at the ends. I have used mine with a 14' Brazilian hammock without problems. However, I'm curious how the Wooki compares with the Shell UQ.
    This is true.

This looks interesting for car camping though, or deep winter pulk camping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperflY
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie Sling
    It is definitely adjustable at each end to loosen to allow the quilt to sag below your hammock to use in higher temps (see Shug’s videos with such suggestions) and I made sure of this given where I live and camp in the South and Southeast/west. Hope that helps. As to the points of information on the Wookie fitting other gathered end hammocks, I was fully aware of this but as I sometimes switch my lay direction, hence my Dutchware Chameleon, I wanted the ability to have my UQ support either lay direction. So, the Sheltowee UQ meets all my requirements. Thanks. Happy to answer anyone else’s questions as I have now tested it with my DC hammock as well. Awesome.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I sometimes switch my lay direction, hence my Dutchware Chameleon, I wanted the ability to have my UQ support either lay direction. So, the Sheltowee UQ meets all my requirements.
    That's interesting. Does the Shell UQ have insulation over the full width?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperflY
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie Sling
    It does except the last 4-5 inches that reaches easily above the sides of my hammock and acts like a wind break. It is easily wide enough to cover your shoulder on one end and foot box on other end within the insulated body no matter which way you lay. I checked this by sleeping left head/right feet one night and the opposite the next night. For reference, I am 5’10” and 175. I could get some measurments if people are interested.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Do you know what it weighs and how small it can pack down?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That's interesting. Does the Shell UQ have insulation over the full width?
    Dutch is selling them too and just put a video out on the UQ......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hink-Sheltowee

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast