Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperflY
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd1983 View Post
    Do you know what it weighs and how small it can pack down?
    It does pack down small and is very lite. I will take some measurements and hopefully post some pictures for people if I can figure out how to do this. Shug is correct - videos of the UQ on Dutchware website and Dutch wrote a post on the forums about the introduction of the new UQ being sold on his site. Spiguyver also has an excellent YouTube video review of the UQ. Hope this info helps.

I think Spiguyver said it weighed 2lbs 6oz

Hammock
    Dutch Nylon D
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I have a 20* under quilt. during the summer when it gets too hot, I pull the quilt out from under me over to the side. I sleep till I wake up with my back side cold. (2/3/4 am) Then I pull the quilt back under me ,(without getting out of the hammock) and back to sleep.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thanks for the post Gatorleon! I'll try to address some of the questions/concerns found in the thread so far...

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The Wooki fits all gathered end hammocks that are the same length or longer. All you need to do is add some cord at the ends. I have used mine with a 14' Brazilian hammock without problems. However, I'm curious how the Wooki compares with the Shell UQ.
    Anything is possible with some modifications! The Shell UQ has a UQ suspension built in, and is long enough (over 12') to fit most any size hammock (tho would require modification for your 14' Brazilian) The extra fabric at the ends makes up the 'gear basket' areas as well as serves as a wind block.

That's interesting. Does the Shell UQ have insulation over the full width?
    The Insulated area of the UQ measures 7' long x 4' wide; which is bigger than any UQ on the market I believe... it's a generous insulation area that helps accommodate many different bodies and many different sleep styles. This a big difference between the Wooki UQ and the Shell UQ and accounts for the increased weight and bulk of the Shell UQ; The Wooki's insulation area is cut to accommodate only one lay direction and has a head and foot end. With that, you are able to trim a significant amount of weight and bulk by eliminating these unused areas, exactly like the BoneFire insulated hammock did back in early 2014. It wasn't until years later that WB offered it in two sizes to match their hammocks and introduced it to their large following.

The rest of the UQ is the large black fabric, which measures over 12' long x almost 6' wide, but only the middle 7'x4' is insulated... again, the extra fabric is utilized by being a wind/draft block (much like a UQP) & a place to stash stuff along the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyphaze View Post
    Question, is it adjustable for venting if it gets too warm? Thank you for the great review!
    Yes, like Wolverine43 mentioned, venting is achieved quickly by pulling the UQ out from under you and over to the side, much like a traditional UQ. This is thanks to the large size of the Shell UQ as well as the integrated suspension system inside we're calling the SnugFit suspension. Spiguyver does a pretty good job showing this with his video.

the 40° weighs 2lbs, is filled with 11oz of 800 Fill DownTek and 2oz of 2.5 Climashield APEX. It comes with an oversized 8L stuff sack and can compress to about half that size

the 20° weighs 2lbs 6oz, is filled with 16o of 800 Fill DownTek and 2oz of 2.5 Climashield APEX. It comes with an oversized 11L stuff sack and can compress to about half of that size
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    They do look real nice. I saw Dutch's video and liked what I saw.
    Shug
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Dutch is selling them too and just put a video out on the UQ Shug
    Thanks for noticin', Shug!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wing View Post
    This looks interesting for car camping though, or deep winter pulk camping.
    It's also makes a great quilt to stack others inside when winter camping. Spiguyver touched on this a bit in his video, but there are quilt hooks built in expressily for this purpose. Plus, the generous insulation area swallows all other UQs and the extra black fabric keeps out drafts and spindrifts.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine43 View Post
    I have a 20* under quilt. during the summer when it gets too hot, I pull the quilt out from under me over to the side. I sleep till I wake up with my back side cold. (2/3/4 am) Then I pull the quilt back under me ,(without getting out of the hammock) and back to sleep.
    Thanks for the post and for being a (very) early adopter of a Shell UQ! I'm a bit embarrassed that it took me this long to come out with a stand alone UQ (Should have done it 4+ years ago...) so I thank you for nudging me to put one out there!
    -Alex

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just ordered one through Dutch. excited to try it, thanks for answering all the questions and for the review!
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Any reason why there isn't a 0° version available? Does it get too heavy with that much of an insulated area?

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Any reason why there isn't a 0° version available? Does it get too heavy with that much of an insulated area?
    No, nothing like that. The holdup has been getting the differential right. We've made and tested several now (this recent cold snap here in KY has really helped ) and have gotten consistent, positive results.
    Well produce a small run of zeros, get the specs and pics and such, and make them available on the website in a couple of weeks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    -Alex

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My underquilt arrived, it looks great! I cannot wait to try it. I do have a question though, ho much down does the 20 and 40 degree have? Weight wise? Excited to get hanging with the new quilt. I think this will be an excellent option for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphaze View Post
    how much down does the 20 and 40 degree have? Weight wise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Our quilts are filled with 800 fill DownTek Down. the 40 degree 11oz; the 20 degree 16oz. each also have approx 2oz of 2.5 APEX Climashield insulation along the long sides of the quilt; plenty of insulation where you need it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    -Alex

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast