Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You also mentioned hardware over knots...can't go wrong with the Dutch CRL: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/continuous-ridgeline

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    You also mentioned hardware over knots...can't go wrong with the Dutch CRL: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/continuous-ridgeline
    Yes, this is my suspension choice. I've been using it for six or seven years. I can't understand how people could use knots on their tarp suspension - too much hassle. While some love knots, I have eliminated every knot in my hammock setup except for a marlin spike hitch (used to connect guylines to tarp stakes), and a larkshead (used to tie the guyline onto the tarp - tie it once and forget it). For just everyday use, I find a slippery half hitch to be amazingly versatile. I can find a million uses for a slippery half hitch.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yep. I used to use split lines tied onto the tarp, then using truckers hitches to tie to the tree. Got the CRL, then larksheaded some shock cord loops to the tarp guy outs. Got a mesh sleeve. It all gets rolled up. The guy lines with Dutch tarp hooks are permanently attached to the stakes. No more knots and I don't forget to pull up the stakes.

dcooper,

You may want to look at the Hammock Gear " The Journey Tarp ". I think they have two versions now. One made in USA and one subcontracted out overseas. I have the older USA Made one and it is spectacular.>>>>>>>>>. Get ahold of Grisnakh here on the forums. Hes the friendly customer service rep for Hammock Gear. He will line you out.

Be safe.

Bob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    I agree with SilvrSurfr
    Ok, i'll disagree with SilvrSurfr ;-)

After several years and dozens of trips, i have never needed anything other than a hex tarp, even in high winds. If it's stormy out, i just pitch the thing down tight in "Storm Taco" mode. I have a 10ft WBBB and Edge tarp setup.

* It's worth noting that taste and mental comfort factor into tarp selection, as with tents. Some people just like the luxury of having a nice big tarp, which is fine, but the tradeoff is weight. I personally don't need luxury, as i'm only sleeping under the tarp, not spending quality time with it. During the day i'm on the go, and during the night the view doesn't matter.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Ok, i'll disagree with SilvrSurfr ;-)
    As many do. I think it's all a matter of how much you get out, where you get out, and whether you are a fair-weather camper. I live in the Northeast, and we have all kinds of weather, and I go out in all of it. However, I have strictly fair-weather friends who would be fine 90% of the time with a hex tarp. For example, I've been camping in the NJ Pine Barrens the last ten years, and can honestly say that I've only seen maybe two storms where a hex tarp wouldn't cut it. The Pine Barrens just don't get a lot of shifting winds and blowing precipitation.

However, camp on top of a mountain and you can expect shifting winds and blowing precipitation - site selection is just a joke on a mountain top. Or camp by bodies of water or anywhere coastal - I always get shifting winds and blowing precipitation. I live between the Atlantic Ocean (two blocks away) and a large river, and camping in my back yard you'll expect to see the winds shift every 20 seconds or so - nothing you can do about it, except have a 4-season tarp with doors!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The other good thing about doors is that helps keep the wind from getting inside and making your tarp into a parachute. If you pitch your tarp right, this probably doesn't happen, but in Colorado it was hard because the wind was always shifting direction. Since bad weather would seem to blow in around 4ish each evening, I would just make sure my doors were deployed and no worries

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12