Arrow blackbird xlc vs. chameleon vs. sparrow dream? thoughts?

So, I love my black bird xlc. It's an 11' heavy duty double layer, and I've had it out in all conditions and it's pretty great. I am alswaycomfy and warm, and I always have a good night sleep -(the secret of course is the set up: i.e. to position the head 16" lower or so... (Shuggery really helped in this regard- thanks Shug!). I own the old version, and am considering buying the new one with lighter fabric and new winter cover etc. The only issue for me with this product is the bulk.

Last year, I purchased a 1.6 chameleon. So excited, as we all know Dutch is a genius, and I could not wait to give it a spin. I have been out in it a handful of times. And while I truly love the weight, and customability, I really have trouble getting comfortable in it. It feels tight and constricting no matter how I string it, especially on my legs. i've watched recent videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2fzLH66eAk&t=3s) comparing chameleon with xlc and dream sparrow, and all have recommended chameleon in general above the rest. It makes me think I am not setting it up properly somehow. One video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi_JBgCFZo) claims there is a significant difference b/w the 1.6 and the 1.0 material. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Also, in contrast to the xlc, I've been hanging the ridgeline parallel w/ head and feet generally level with one another, is this right?

Lastly, before I purchase the new xlc, does anyone have any thoughts on the dream sparrow they'd like to offer? Especially, anyone familiar with the xlc in comparison? It seems everyone likes the width and room of the sparrow. It's also less bulky... And of course you can customize it from the get go, which I love. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    How tall are you and did you get the regular or wide Chameleon ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

blackbird xlc vs. chameleon vs. sparrow dream? thoughts?

I’ve had quite a few hammocks by now and here is the order it went in. I sold each one to fund the next one. I’ll leave out the cliché ENO double nest starter hammock, lol.

Chameleon.
    Quality hammock. But the Hexon fabric just isn’t my thing. The d rings everywhere are a nice touch, if that is your style and the optional accessories are pretty neat. It uses a zing it ridgeline and noseeum mesh zipper hoods. The zippers are reversible. There are lots of prints available, if you like to be flashy.

Sparrow.
    You have a lot more options when ordering a DreamHammock. They offer a wider range of fabrics and will cut it to a width of your choice and they have some other unique models like the Raven and the Dangerbird. It uses 7/64” amsteel ridgeline and zipper hoods made with a matching hammock fabric.

Raven.
    Same things apply as above, but the Raven allows you to switch lay directions on the fly, but you need a traditional symmetrical UQ to take advantage of that. My second most favorite hammock.

Eldorado.
    It’s a Blackbird XLC without the shelf. I really like the design choices on the Eldorado. I like the ridgeline being closer and easier to reach for things I hang from it. I like how it has less sag because it seems more comfortable as long as you hang the foot end as recommended and it makes the hammock shorter from bottom to top. I found that it makes it easier for me to get the hammock and UQ much further off the ground and more protected by the tarp. I like the heavier ridgeline. It uses 7/64” amsteel just like DreamHammock. I worry about zing it elongating over time. I like the lack of zipper hoods because the elastic bands work just fine and are lighter and make it easier to remove or install the net. I like the whipped ends because stitching creates a weak spot and the ball at the end is a great attachment point for an UQ, so no fussing with mini-biners. The bugnet is far better than the competition. I love having that net way off my face and the footbox with the net on is roomy. Their new Dream-Tex fabrics are great IMO. It’s pretty comparable to 1.6 HyperD, maybe a little more stretch than the HD, which I like since I am fairly lightweight myself. Color and feel is about same too. Finally, the Wooki works much better on a WB hammock and I love my Wooki. I went with an Eldorado because I like to get in and out on my foot side and the shelf gets in the way doing that and I find that a ridgeline mesh gear hammock and two peak bags are a better way to store things than the XLC shelf.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always found my Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6 to be comfortable, with the exception of one night last week when I strung it up at night and didn't do a very good job. Somehow, I even got calf ridge (which has never happened), and even my beagle Joey had a miserable night, not sleeping more than three hours. However, on the second night, I got it hung properly and had a wonderful night's sleep, as did my beagle Joey.

I really don't like hammocks with integrated bugnets, and much prefer something like a Dutch Netless or HG Netless. However, beagle Joey can't deal with a Fronkey bugnet - too easy for him to escape. Beagle Joey much prefers the zippered confines of a Dutch Chameleon.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think I got the standard, my wife purchased it for me. I am 6' 210lbs.

• + New Posts