Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Greetings from Krakow, Poland

Hello

Thank you for all your posts and comments I read while I was preparing to my first winter trip with a hammock!

A few words about how I started hammocks era of my life.

I got my Ticket To The Moom 320x200cm (real size seems to be about 305x185) hammock a couple years ago just for some daytime resting during cycling trips and to use it on my balcony. It's wide ('double') version because I wanted a hammock big enough for me, my wife and our 4 years old (now) daughter (not for sleeping, just for fan). 20170512-DSC_4581.JPG

Then I tried to sleep in the hammock on a balcony and on my parent's backyard (they live in Ukraine and I spend a few there when I have a chance to visit them). I liked this kind of outside sleeping and slept many summer night in the hammock. Last summer I started to use the hammock to sleep in the middle of a forest and later during a fall I spent a night (it was about +5°C) in the hammock with my 4 years old daughter 20181014-DSC_6784-2.jpg This is when I decided that I really like sleeping in a hammock and I will rarely use my tent again. I used to sleep in a tent in The Carpathian and The Crimean mountains in Ukraine. This is where hammock is not a choice, because I usually slept above tree line and often in extreme weather conditions - strong wind, heavy rain and snow. But mountains is not the only good place for traveling and this means I'm going to use my hammock for most of my trips now. I already tested the hammock in winter conditions. And I'm going to spend 3 more nights in Sweden at the end of the February and I think it's a beginning of a new era of my life! Era of Hammocks

As a suspension system I use webbing + whoopie sling with a carabiner between them. I do not use under and top quilts for now, just sleeping pads and bags. My tarp is Ticket To The Moom 248x248cm. So far I'm happy with this setup. For sure I will need one more (ultralight) hammock. I'll use either one of the hammocks while traveling alone and I'll use both of them when my daughter is with me. I want to try DYI hang spacers using tent poles for two trees / two hammocks hang.

My wife still prefers tents to hammocks for night sleeping, but who knows, maybe she also will want a hammock.

I also will need a bigger tarp for extreme weather conditions and one more mosquito net (for the second hammock). But for now I decided that I don't need any additional insulation for this winter. Maybe before the next winter I'll think about under and top quilts, but for now I'm happy with sleeping pad + sleeping bag setup. See my first report here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mmockChallenge

I read the hammockforums to get a lot of information about hammocks while I was preparing to my first winter hang and I'll be glad to share my growing hammock experience with all members and visitors of the hammockforums.
    Last edited by AVatorL; 02-07-2019 at 15:04.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you! I think planning is the most expensive part of my hobbies. Googling, reading, learning something new and planing requires a lot of time. Time = money. But I like to know things.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooooo Buddy)))))
    Glad your first Winter outing went so well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Welcome to HF and the wonderful wealth of hammock knowledge found within it's pages. I also have a number of alpine and desert areas that I like to visit where I find tents to be more suited than hammocks. However, it is hard to beat the comfort of a good hammock and tarp. Plus, I like the challenge of fashioning a good hang. Enjoy and the best to you on you up coming adventures.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome to the community! I love hearing that you take your daughter with you. She’ll learn to love the outdoors, too. Please post pictures and trip reports. We enjoy seeing where people hang.

Charlotte

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Testing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome you are here from Krakow. I visited Krakow back in 1980, just beautiful and great people, and at that time great Vodka was drank as a young man. I remember the forests and it reminded me of my home Seattle.

Welcome. And you are also welcome to Sweden later on. Hope you'll have a great time here.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    Serdecznie witamy and greetings from Germany!
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Welcome and glad to see that you are off to an excellent running start.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast