Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xnktx View Post
    How does this compare to a down under quilt like Hammock Gear Econ? It seems like it's 1/2 the weight but what about performance?
    Down is a little better in my opinion when it gets below freezing. When it's above 30°, I love my Trail Winder! Mine is Apex 5.0 and I've been plenty warm at 32°...

BTW, mine weighs 19.7oz in the stuff sack.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Oh, i think i was mistaking the liner weight for the total weight! My bad.
    <- noob

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks

SIMPLY LIGHT DESIGNS ASYM UNDERQUILT

Here are some pics of my Apex climashield 6.0 oz Argon 90 Dark Olive (installed on Voyager) and Apex climashield 3.6 oz Argon 90 charcoal grey (installed on my chameleon. )

Also, original suspension was just shock cord but now Jared uses combo shock cord and line with line locks for adjustment ease.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Papatechie; 04-18-2019 at 22:39.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    Here are some pics of my Apex climashield 6.0 oz Argon 90 Dark Olive (installed on Voyager) and Apex climashield 3.6 oz Argon 90 charcoal grey (installed on my chameleon. )

Also, original suspension was just shock cord but now Jared uses combo shock cord and line with line locks for adjustment ease.

What hammock bug net is that in the 4th picture from the top?

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Dutchware gear symmetrical moonlight top cover

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think l used a line lock for this and it works a treat for adjusting the trail winder with different length hammocks!

Here is one l made up for anyone interested!

I replaced the original shock cord for a slightly longer lenght, may be a lenght of 2ft!

With 6" of some non stretch cord l knotting the ends, l wrapped this inside and around the line lock about two or three times, this holds the micro beener with the hammock suspension!

I cut about a 10mm lenght of sprinkler system riser hose!

I fed the shock cord through the line lock, then fed on the cut 10mm lenght of hose..... with a tight loop knot to prevent the pulling through of shock cord through the line lock!

Well, l pretty sure that's how it went together, hope these photos make up for what l may have missed out!

Happy days!

IMG_3361.JPGIMG_3360.JPG

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post

Is that the standard length you are using on the Chameleon? I’m wondering if I should go for the standard, or the 10 footer.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    This is what I got for chameleon
    Length: 9' (standard UQP length)
    Works good... in my opinion for my setup. No cold spots.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    ***UPDATE***
    I've been using mine for a while now and I still absolutely LOVEit. The last 2 weekends I've used it on my XLC and it fit.just fine.....

I took it with me 2 week ago when I hiked the section of Mason-Dixon Trail that I maintain. I pre assembled my rig at home : XLC, Trailwinder, 40° Econ Burrow & Snugpak Snuggie pillow all inside my SLD Catch-All and my Chill Gorilla Hex tarp in a HG xenon snake skin using the "Myerstech all-in-one" suspension method. The Catch-all fit everything with plenty of room to spare and everything fit nicely in the bottom of my pack. Once I found a spot to set up for the night, it was as easy as : 1) attach tree straps 2) hang whoopies on toggles 3) pull back Catch-All and snake skin 4) stake out tarp and hammock... DONE. My 40° Trailwinder kept me plenty warm as it only got down to 45°. Also, the ease of use was great after a long day on the trail.

This past weekend I went camping with my youngest daughter and her GS troop at her councils camp. I once again pre assembled my rig at home, but switched out the Burrow for my 40° diy Climashield TQ since a severe t-storm was in the forcast for Saturday night. With the Chill Gorilla Hex in storm mode, I slept easy knowing my backside would stay warm and dry due to the insulation + UQP combo of the Trailwinder. Several times durring the night strong wind blew mist under the tarp and rain directly in the ends and into my rig, but the design and shape of the Trailwinders' insulation preformed exactly as expected keeping my toasty warm.

After having so many positive experiences with the Trailwinder, I've decided to also get the 10oz version for winter hanging. This is one great piece of gear to have and will allow you to finally hike with a synthetic UQ without paying such a weight penalty due to it's design and asym insulation. The versatility of having an insulated UQP that can be used on its own or stacked with another UQ and at such an affordable price makes the TW a serious contender in the cottage made UQ market in my opinion. It has become my new go-to UQ when the mercury climbs above freezing and I suspect a winter version might do the same thing in colder temps. There really isn't a reason to not get one of these!.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    ***UPDATE***
    I've been using mine for a while now and I still absolutely LOVEit. The last 2 weekends I've used it on my XLC and it fit.just fine.....

I took it with me 2 week ago when I hiked the section of Mason-Dixon Trail that I maintain. I pre assembled my rig at home : XLC, Trailwinder, 40° Econ Burrow & Snugpak Snuggie pillow all inside my SLD Catch-All and my Chill Gorilla Hex tarp in a HG xenon snake skin using the "Myerstech all-in-one" suspension method. The Catch-all fit everything with plenty of room to spare and everything fit nicely in the bottom of my pack. Once I found a spot to set up for the night, it was as easy as : 1) attach tree straps 2) hang whoopies on toggles 3) pull back Catch-All and snake skin 4) stake out tarp and hammock... DONE. My 40° Trailwinder kept me plenty warm as it only got down to 45°. Also, the ease of use was great after a long day on the trail.

This past weekend I went camping with my youngest daughter and her GS troop at her councils camp. I once again pre assembled my rig at home, but switched out the Burrow for my 40° diy Climashield TQ since a severe t-storm was in the forcast for Saturday night. With the Chill Gorilla Hex in storm mode, I slept easy knowing my backside would stay warm and dry due to the insulation + UQP combo of the Trailwinder. Several times durring the night strong wind blew mist under the tarp and rain directly in the ends and into my rig, but the design and shape of the Trailwinders' insulation preformed exactly as expected keeping my toasty warm.

After having so many positive experiences with the Trailwinder, I've decided to also get the 10oz version for winter hanging. This is one great piece of gear to have and will allow you to finally hike with a synthetic UQ without paying such a weight penalty due to it's design and asym insulation. The versatility of having an insulated UQP that can be used on its own or stacked with another UQ and at such an affordable price makes the TW a serious contender in the cottage made UQ market in my opinion. It has become my new go-to UQ when the mercury climbs above freezing and I suspect a winter version might do the same thing in colder temps. There really isn't a reason to not get one of these!.
    If you get chance, can you post some pics of the 10oz TW when you get it, to show what size it compresses to? Thanks for the report...the TW definitely sounds like a nice piece of kit!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast