Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Thank you for the offer. Let me know if you ever camp near Pierce's BBQ.
    We had a few Hangs @ Chickahominy in James city county / Wburg
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I figured I would be out of the quilt market forever, but I've been hanging in my basement more lately. So one, I don't need so much insulation at 65°, and two, I feel kinda "wrong" about using my expensive quilts just at home.

This may be a good option if I do even more hanging at home. And I'll want a cheap-ish top quilt to go with it.

In your video you mention that you got a 20 and a 40 degree version. I'm curious on the comfort level of the 20 degree one in below the rated temps. I always enjoy your videos and come up to Michigan sometime and join us at a group hang!

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    In your video you mention that you got a 20 and a 40 degree version. I'm curious on the comfort level of the 20 degree one in below the rated temps. I always enjoy your videos and come up to Michigan sometime and join us at a group hang!
    I’m very familiar with Apex Climashield as I’ve used AHE kaq products , Jared’s original synthetic quilt line as well as my synthetic Loco Libre . Unfortunately there has been this radical bi polar weather in VA .when I get the opportunity to camp with the trail winder it’s been low of 32. As of now it’s just wonderful . Now I’ve been to the apex climashelid rating down to 22 in my kaq & it served well but wouldn’t push it beyond
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I figured I would be out of the quilt market forever, but I've been hanging in my basement more lately. So one, I don't need so much insulation at 65°, and two, I feel kinda "wrong" about using my expensive quilts just at home.

This may be a good option if I do even more hanging at home. And I'll want a cheap-ish top quilt to go with it.
    I had the same thought...been using my HG Netless a lot in my basement and home office, both of which are a bit cool, and so just picked up a 40 degree Trail Winder. Figured it would be a nice alternative outdoors in the 60-80 degree weather too. So far I like it a lot, paired with this inexpensive fleece liner its perfect for in home use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    I had the same thought...been using my HG Netless a lot in my basement and home office, both of which are a bit cool, and so just picked up a 40 degree Trail Winder. Figured it would be a nice alternative outdoors in the 60-80 degree weather too. So far I like it a lot, paired with this inexpensive fleece liner its perfect for in home use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks, I may try that for $15. Since the HG Econ line is pretty inexpensive, I may go that route for an UQ.

And I'll likely be sleeping at home in the hammock a lot more starting soon.

Images
    Thanks, I may try that for $15. Since the HG Econ line is pretty inexpensive, I may go that route for an UQ.

For an indoor UQ, before spending on anything, you could try making a no-sew whipped end "hammock" out of a blanket, and suspending that with shock cord below your hammock. Worth a shot for a fairly quick & easy DIY project. If it doesn't work, just take it apart and pretend it never happened.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles

All my quilts are Econ series and there isn't a big price difference between the Trail Winder and 40 degree Econ. And in my opinion, they will pack up to about the same size. Like you, I debated between the TW and 40 Econ but ended up going with the TW just to try something different and for the synthetic aspect for humid/wet weather.

I haven't spent too many nights it it yet, but so far I feel like one advantage the Trail Winder UQ has over a traditional but similarly priced UQ is not having to deal with the primary suspension at head or foot (sideways pressure/ suspension against foot or head), similar to the Wooki. For something I might primarily use in the house or out in the yard and not necessarily under extreme conditions, many of the advantages of down are nullified. I have several UQs of different types and from different manufacturers. Each has advantages and disadvantages compared to each other. For me, the Trail Winder is a welcome addition due to its versatility to layer with another UQ for extra warmth and UQP shielding properties, use in the house/ back yard as an easy, quick, comfortable, affordable "everyday" option and it seams easy to quickly adapt to different GE hammocks.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    ShortRound convinced me. Just ordered a 50 degree for the warm and humid conditions here in south Florida. I love the design.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast