Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Latest Kickstarter claiming innovation?

the-ultimate-sleeper-hammock

I am all for new ideas and trying new things to help solve a problem. But I hate to see someone get fooled because a product makes claims that are not true or are very misleading.

This product claims to have solved ALL the problems with gathered-end hammocks. They have invented a "New" type of hammock with lots of "patent pending" features.

Looks like a bridge that has been done many times before. I don't see any patentable claims that they will get through based on prior art that exists and many already use.

Just another project that is going to hit a market that is unaware of what is really good for design and function. Marketing can help sell anything to an ignorant audience. This one may not get to their goal despite their claims.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post

I am all for new ideas and trying new things to help solve a problem. But I hate to see someone get fooled because a product makes claims that are not true or are very misleading.

This product claims to have solved ALL the problems with gathered-end hammocks. They have invented a "New" type of hammock with lots of "patent pending" features.

Looks like a bridge that has been done many times before. I don't see any patentable claims that they will get through based on prior art that exists and many already use.

Just another project that is going to hit a market that is unaware of what is really good for design and function. Marketing can help sell anything to an ignorant audience. This one may not get to their goal despite their claims.
    Excited to read Just Bill's response on this post.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    "Find your reality." lol No thanks, reality has no problem finding me.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post

I agree, this just looks like another bridge hammock design to me as well. I don't own a bridge hammock myself so I don't want to comment but at first looks, I see a lot better designs out there already. For instance, the spreader bars look huge and heavy to me

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    The innovations they seem to have implemented are a modular cross bar that adjusts the lay of the hammock and an hourglass shaped body.

Not earth shattering but I haven't seen these exact features, especially together.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Buy that ..I might as well buy a "bed"
    How many times can we re-invent the wheel...clearly if you use a Eno Banana many times....
    I'll stay with my own banana and all the support my banana has from vendors allowing me to enjoy 30c to -30C nights of dead to the world sleep.....-29c last night and was overheating ....would be a Raven Popsicle with this 'New' thingy
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    The innovations they seem to have implemented are a modular cross bar that adjusts the lay of the hammock and an hourglass shaped body.

Not earth shattering but I haven't seen these exact features, especially together.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Warbonnet did a variation with the segmented spreader bar. A smaller section in the middle of the head end could be removed to allow for a different lay. I know there was a more recent thread but I can't find it right now. Here is an older one with pictures of the old version.
    Warbonnet-RidgeRunner-spreader-bars
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Images
    I actually think the hourglass shape is a good idea and would be interested in giving it a try.

The downside is that it's a bridge hammock. I'm a trekker first, hammocker second. GE hammocks just work better for the ultrlighter in the wilderness. GE's also work better for my other two outdoor hammock requirements: sitting upright-ish (for morning tea time), and sitting in high-back Sofa Mode.

From their kickstarter page:
    "We designed the prototype “Ultimate Sleeper Hammock” in America and will keep the ongoing refinements and design and assembly in America as well"

So kudos for not immediately outsourcing to Asia, at least. Rather than kickstart this thing, in my opinion they might try operating as a cottage shop for a bit and see how many they sell and get some feedback that way. There's definitely room for growth in the potential hammock market, with only about 10 percent or so of hikers using hammocks. If their kickstarter campaign falls short, I'd hope they at least open an Etsy shop or something and join the community here for some feedback.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Testing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a Helsdon Chrysalis, or Eureka at one point, that uses the hourglass very effectively. He is coming out with a new model soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast