Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles

Another Recessed Bar Bridge

Hey all,
    I just finished another recessed bar bridge based on the Ariel dimensions but using a rolled webbing (spider webbing from Dutch) design. Came out great! I actually built two at the same time. Total build time was about 14 hours for both (and I’m slow). I used hexon 1.6 for the outer and 1.0 for the inner layer - really like the feel of this fabric. I made a stencil out of hardboard and used a soldering iron to cut both layers at once - worked great and fused the two layers together.
    I used Tera 60 for the entire project- I think it’s the perfect blend of sewability and strength.
    94D70F5A-21C9-4C7D-8076-EE6401FC247A.jpegD7086084-994D-4A65-A784-D94C98677A2A.jpeg2E74EA03-191D-488B-B005-00E6EBA75473.jpgCE4A5A47-F4D9-4B00-8587-87859079F94F.jpg
    The third picture is a a shot of the channel I sewed for the ends of the hammock distal to the bar. I used no hardware, just placed the spreader bar tips in the larks head where the dog bones meet the webbing.
    I lined the notch I cut in the hammock body (where the dog bones meet the webbing) with grosgrain for strength.
    Overall I’m very pleased with the final product. Comfy for belly sleeping! I’ll try to get some other pics up later.

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    I used no hardware, just placed the spreader bar tips in the larks head where the dog bones meet the webbing.
    I'd love to see a closeup of what you're saying in the quote above. The finished product in the final photo looks fantastic; those colors really go together well. And am I understanding you to say that it's a dual layer and so could take a pad in between the layers?

Also curious about the weight without spreader bars.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Yes, I separated the layers and sewed separate hems to allow for a pad to be insterted in between the layers. I’ll try to get some pics of the bar insertion up for you when I get home.
    Last edited by Peabody; 02-04-2019 at 18:06.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    B74EBB2E-9CE5-479D-9355-8916A951C611.jpg11CE4250-AD1E-40F1-8D57-DE039AE98A4D.jpeg393157B2-0092-4260-B6C4-3080596E592B.jpg
    Here are some pics of the corners and the channel for the dog bone. Also the first pic is of the bar tip insertion; I didn’t invent that - Just Bill showed me that in another thread.
    The corners were reinforced with spider webbing and grosgrain because I think that’s the weak point in this design.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    The larkhead to poly ribbon, to secure the poles, does work well, it is what I am using on the bridge I am prototyping ATM .... what webbing did you use for the side suspension?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Here are some pics of the corners and the channel for the dog bone. Also the first pic is of the bar tip insertion; I didn’t invent that - Just Bill showed me that in another thread.
    The corners were reinforced with spider webbing and grosgrain because I think that’s the weak point in this design.
    I’m I right I’m assuming that your just sewing the 1/2 webbing to the edges of the hammock body and not rolling the edges like BIC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I did roll the hem like Bic. I also increased the width of the hammock (based on Ariel dimensions) to account for the rolled edges.
    I used Dutch’s UHMWPE spider webbing for the edges - tough stuff and light too! I just folded it over the edges and secured with clips while I sewed it, binding the edges. Then I rolled it twice.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I did roll the hem like Bic. I also increased the width of the hammock (based on Ariel dimensions) to account for the rolled edges.
    I used dutches UHMWPE spider webbing for the edges - tough stuff and light too! I just folded it over the edges and secured with clips while I sewed it, binding the edges. Then I rolled it twice.
    Thanks, I somehow missed that. It looks really nice. Great job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Looks like a bridge!

Glad this came together for you, I know it took some headscratching to sort out the notch at the turn.

PS... I think you have to go all the way back to TeeDee to give credit where credit is due on the direct to dogbone pole connection.

PPS... When I'm ready to share it I've since sorted out another way to do these I'm pretty happy with. About 30 days into testing at the moment and waiting for the 90 day mark to see how it holds up.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Thanks Bill!
    I look forward to that write-up! Btw, the stencil I set up for this project (hardboard cutout) really made measuring, cutting a brainless activity.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast