Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What to Do w/ 80"x40" Evazote 1/8"

So I have a 80x40 1/8" sheet of Evazote arriving. Same stuff as gossamer gear thinlight.

What are some ideas to customize its use for hammock camping? Interested to see what people would think to do with it.
    Currently I have a Dutch Chameleon and d not currently use sleeping pads in the hammock.

One thought I had was cutting a swath that would extend from the angled head to the angle of the foot pull out and attaching to the hooks so its strung underneath the user not inside the hammock. Instead of the standard bannana hammock cut , customize the cut to the angled lay and use some shock cord to connect to the hang hooks to provide a mechanism to quickly tighten it up close or loosen and provide air flow.

Another was doing the same as above and adhereing mylar then strips of 1" batting the width of the sheet every 6-8 inches to create an air gap and absorb moisture, to create a super warm , wind resistant layer, that is also very light weight.

Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by sensoro; 02-04-2019 at 19:11.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I don't think Evazote would be effective on the outside of an hammock. I think it would be more effective to sew up an segmented pad extender (which provide extra width at the shoulders) and use it under you inside the hammock. Moisture will be an issue but pads can be used in a hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Bubba is correct.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.6HyperD 11'
    Tarp
    MYOG Silpoly 12x12
    Suspension
    Venom straps & MSH
    Has anyone ever tried slipping a chunk of this foam between a hammock and a wookie/wookie-clone? Since a wookie effectively makes your hammock a double layer, and people often say they slip a pad between the layers of their double layer hammocks, I thought this might make a good addition to a warmer weather wookie clone (say... 40F rated, gets a bump to 30?)

EDIT: do you mind disclosing where you got this pad from, and how much you spent for it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I started with a huge chunk of foam like that thinking it would be GREAT!!! However....it folds and kinks in the strangest and most uncomfortable spots no matter how I tried to use it. I kept trimming and trimming and trying different ideas. At the end of it I ended up with a pair of 20"x30" pieces. I stack them for use as a sit pad. I'll stack them under my feet if I'm using a 3/4 length UQ. In a pinch, I've put one across my shoulder blades long way (30" dimension) and let it kind of wrap up the sides and the other piece extended from my upper thighs to the middle of my back. Basically I had a "T" of foam to augment and help prevent CBS.

Now that I've got a double layer bridge I put all kinds of foam and other insulation in the sleeve and it works just fine. It also works OK putting it inside (laying on it like a pad on a cot).

Every once in a while there's a Speer pad or clone on here for sale. Maybe use it for that purpose.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Is this like refletix but foam instead of bubble wrap?

If so I have some and made a bathtub type ground mat in case I need to setup on the ground one day. I guess it could also go in a hammock or between layers for extra insulation. I've used it once in GSMNP when we had to sleep in a shelter. Was just extra bottom insulation under our pads.

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod337 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried slipping a chunk of this foam between a hammock and a wookie/wookie-clone? Since a wookie effectively makes your hammock a double layer, and people often say they slip a pad between the layers of their double layer hammocks, I thought this might make a good addition to a warmer weather wookie clone (say... 40F rated, gets a bump to 30?)

EDIT: do you mind disclosing where you got this pad from, and how much you spent for it?

Sure. I bought it from Foamorder.com I paid $25 plus shipping. Shipping is the B**ch. So Emailed them and asked about making an exception, yadda yadda, back and forth a bit and they shipped it for like $15, so I have about $40 in it. The shipping issue is they deal in bulky shipments and utilize their packing and shipping process and dont have boxes and such for small types of orders, so the system defaults to the higher amount of like $31. I dont think its something they will do if everyone starts calling for a sheet of evazote. Seemed like it was kinda pain in the *** for them to do it.
    Last edited by sensoro; 02-04-2019 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Is this like refletix but foam instead of bubble wrap?

If so I have some and made a bathtub type ground mat in case I need to setup on the ground one day. I guess it could also go in a hammock or between layers for extra insulation. I've used it once in GSMNP when we had to sleep in a shelter. Was just extra bottom insulation under our pads.
    This is just like thinlight from gossamer gear. It came in today and there are some difference in appearance and texture but other than that. Its the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I started with a huge chunk of foam like that thinking it would be GREAT!!! However....it folds and kinks in the strangest and most uncomfortable spots no matter how I tried to use it. I kept trimming and trimming and trying different ideas. At the end of it I ended up with a pair of 20"x30" pieces. I stack them for use as a sit pad. I'll stack them under my feet if I'm using a 3/4 length UQ. In a pinch, I've put one across my shoulder blades long way (30" dimension) and let it kind of wrap up the sides and the other piece extended from my upper thighs to the middle of my back. Basically I had a "T" of foam to augment and help prevent CBS.

Now that I've got a double layer bridge I put all kinds of foam and other insulation in the sleeve and it works just fine. It also works OK putting it inside (laying on it like a pad on a cot).

Every once in a while there's a Speer pad or clone on here for sale. Maybe use it for that purpose.
    Zuk are we talking about the same stuff? This a pretty soft foam, while bend and foldable, is soft and doesnt seem like it would kink like your describing. I have a sheet from gossamer gear thats 19x59 and tried under the hammock between the quilt and the hammock didnt notice any kinking. I did try it once inside the hammock under me and definitely didnt like the way it felt and grips, which prevents moving around easily. Thats why I thought of shock cording it under the hammock at an angle. The shock cord would hold it close but not have it gripping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I don't think Evazote would be effective on the outside of an hammock. I think it would be more effective to sew up an segmented pad extender (which provide extra width at the shoulders) and use it under you inside the hammock. Moisture will be an issue but pads can be used in a hammock.
    Bubba, thanks for the comment. What makes you think it wouldnt work on the outside? If it would work inside the hammock, seems like it would work outside the hammock if snugged up to the hangee. Maybe I am misunderstanding you (quite possible).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast