11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

VA > 5th Annual Old Dominion Hangers Work and Hang - Natural Bridge State Park - April 26-28, 20

Hey Folks!

It’s spring time and that means hang time for those who are smart enough to avoid the cold hanging months. Old Dominion Hangers is having our annual work and hang the weekend of April 26-28, 2019.

Being a work and hang, it’s a hang oriented around community service to give back to the parks a bit. They have all been hit pretty hard with weather this past year. In the past, we have done everything from build kayak and canoe racks to lay ADA compliant paths to trail work and brush clearing to assemble bird houses. This year, we will down at Natural Bridge State Park. The park needs help with digging camping pads and outlining them with timbers. All the work will be happening right in the vicinity of where we will be hanging….in case you need a sudden nap. All tools and materials for the work will be provided by the park. The work usually takes up a couple hours Saturday, leaving plenty of time for hanging around, going for a hike, sightseeing the bridge area, or, most importantly, napping.

So, the details:

When: April 26-28, 2019

Where: Natural Bridge State Park

The park is very hammock friendly. The camping area itself is technically still closed to the public, so we would have plenty of space. The area we are being offered can easily hang 30-35 hammocks - more if you like your neighbor. It’s a great setup for families or couples who like to hang together as well those who enjoy some space. It will be a bit more primitive camping. There are no hard facilities for us at the park, the Rangers will be bringing in portable toilets especially for us.

Facilities: Again, this is a primitive park as it is not yet open for camping to the public. There are tents pads at the sites, but there are no amenities. They will be providing us with portable toilets, but it’s primitive camping beyond that.

Cell Coverage: Cell coverage is decent in this park.

Meals: Friday, Saturday lunch, and Sunday are on your own (although I tend to make a pot of something Friday night which I’ll always share). For Saturday breakfast and Saturday dinner, we traditionally do pot-luck style meals. The second tab of the sign-up sheet offer the opportunity to take part in meal planning. Typically, between breakfast and dinner, there’s never enough room for lunch anyway!

Cost: Nada! The only cost is a little bit of time and elbow grease to give back to the park on Saturday.

Weather: It’s Virginia in the spring. The weather can be anywhere from freezing to sweltering. April usually sees temperatures with highs around 70 and lows around 40. I have been assured by a trusted weather forecaster that temperatures for our hang will be a high of 68 with a light breeze and clear skies and a low of 55 with the breeze dying off at sunset (We can wish, right?).

We are also open to suggestions. We have had silent auctions in the past with the proceeds being donated to the Friends of the Park. If people are open to an event like that again or maybe a gear swap, it can be arranged.

Here is a link to the signup sheet: 5th Annual Old Dominion Hangers Work and Hang - Natural Bridge State Park - April 26-28, 2019

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wanderlost; 02-05-2019 at 10:01.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Oh boy! This sounds good to me. Week after Easter so I won’t have Spring Break to deal with. I’m going to put in to get this weekend off at work right away. This doesnt conflict with MAHHA does it?

I’ll bring some honeydew for this. Honey do this honey do that, get it? I’m too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Oh boy! This sounds good to me. Week after Easter so I won’t have Spring Break to deal with. I’m going to put in to get this weekend off at work right away. This doesnt conflict with MAHHA does it?

I’ll bring some honeydew for this. Honey do this honey do that, get it? I’m too funny. o
    It does not interfere with MAHHA. MAHHA is a weekend or two afterward. This is going to be a great time. I'm looking forward to it. We get to hang somehwere that no one else is allowed to even camp yet. There were a couple other parks that needed help, but this was just too unique an offer to pass up.
    73 de W4BKR

...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

We were here 2 years ago for the service hang. Very nice place. Some of thewoods have a lot of undergrowth but since we will be alone there is a lot pf room to spread out. Nice thing there is a new pavalion with tables to utilize. May want to bring a firepit as I dont remember one last time. Also no running water.

Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We were here 2 years ago for the service hang. Very nice place. Some of thewoods have a lot of undergrowth but since we will be alone there is a lot pf room to spread out. Nice thing there is a new pavalion with tables to utilize. May want to bring a firepit as I dont remember one last time. Also no running water.

I think Ever-ready Bunny and her YCC crew put in fire pits last summer. I will ask her. I know I bought them, so if they aren’t in yet, we can install some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    NOTE: If you are considering going to this hang, please indicate that either by signing up or mentioning it in the thread. This does not obligate you to come, but gives us an idea of how many people may be there.

Because this is not an established campground (YET), the Park Manager needs to get a special use permit from the town. More importantly, he also is in charge of renting the portable toilets. The number of port-a-johns he gets is directly related to how many people will be using them. YOU do not want to be responsible for the suffering of many because you waited till the last minute to let us know you might be coming, right?!

Respond to the thread to indicate your interest. If you know you are coming, add yourself to the spreadsheet.

This group hang is being offered by Old Dominion Hangers, but all are welcome to attend.

Don’t miss the opportunity to help out and to camp in an amazing and unique environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    And with that note from our Legal Department - it’ll be a great hang with a bit of work and lots of fun in a unique place.

I’m looking forward to it.
    73 de W4BKR

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Subscribed to thread. I may be in the area and able to stop in Friday night and work Saturday, plus I would like to meet you folks.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL #7995
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Various CCF pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I'm interested in coming to this, though I can't commit at this point.

It would be great, though--haven't been to the Natural Bridge area since about the mid-1990s and it's such a beautiful place, would love to get out there again. And the idea of meeting some folks from HF and giving something back to the park sounds awesome!

Sleepy
    Last edited by Sleepy Sasquatch; 02-11-2019 at 17:56.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck

I’ll bring some honeydew for this. Honey do this honey do that, get it? I’m too funny.

MAHAA is the first weekend of May this year if I am not mistaken!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast