Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies

Backcountry campsite reviews

An internet acquaintance is starting a website where people can comment and rate backcountry campsites in national parks where you have to stay in assigned spots, think parks like the Smokies or Glacier or Yellowstone. He started it with the idea that some people only get one good backpacking trip a year and knowing a little bit about different sites would be beneficial for trip planning.

I've added some reviews for the Smokies and I know that there are a number of people here who have spent time in the park. Check it out and feel free to add some reviews.

https://bcsites.herokuapp.com/

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Great idea, thanks for sharing!!

My personal experience on this topic is that it leads to the best sites being overused and worn regardless of LNT thinking. While the idea sounds good in concept, the end results are negative. Better to let people make their own discoveries.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    We already have a Trip Report sub-forum. Perhaps, like the Vendor sub-forum that is sorted by vendor name, we could have a "site review" sub-forum sorted by state name and campsite names sorted within their states. The reported could include how hammock friendly the regulations are and given 23 different camp sites, which site number was hammock/tree friendly (and for how many hammocks).

If the adventure wasn't at an established camp site, then it seems the Trip Report sub-forum we have would already be the posting place. But put enough info in the tread title (state/area/season) so someone looking for an adventure in the same area could easily find the report.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    My personal experience on this topic is that it leads to the best sites being overused and worn regardless of LNT thinking. While the idea sounds good in concept, the end results are negative. Better to let people make their own discoveries.
    If people can camp anywhere, then I largely agree with you. For a park like Glacier or the Smokies, everyone is already forced into established sites. Some of those sites are nice and some of them suck. If a website like this helps someone from the other side of the country plan a once a year type of trip, then I'm all for it. Others are obviously free to disagree.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Agreed.

In the fictional words of Gandolf the Grey.....

Keep it secret, Keep it safe.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 02-03-2019 at 20:54.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by wsp_scott View Post
    If people can camp anywhere, then I largely agree with you. For a park like Glacier or the Smokies, everyone is already forced into established sites. Some of those sites are nice and some of them suck. If a website like this helps someone from the other side of the country plan a once a year type of trip, then I'm all for it. Others are obviously free to disagree.
    I agree with this. One day, I'd like to take a multi-day trip through Glacier National Park. In a system like this, where only limited permitted camping is allowed, campsite reviews are extremely useful.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would agree, but in this case with permits and established sites, I guess it would be ok.

But in the other scenario it's never a good thing IMO. It's always humorous at first, then alarming, when I see something on Facebook: "Hidden Backpacking Gem is Right Down The Road" or something to that effect. Then you see "183K Likes" right underneath. So, you can assume it's no longer "hidden", nor a "gem" after a few months go by.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I would agree, but in this case with permits and established sites, I guess it would be ok.

But in the other scenario it's never a good thing IMO. It's always humorous at first, then alarming, when I see something on Facebook: "Hidden Backpacking Gem is Right Down The Road" or something to that effect. Then you see "183K Likes" right underneath. So, you can assume it's no longer "hidden", nor a "gem" after a few months go by.
    Unless the hidden gem is directing people to camp on top of Mt. Rumpke!

Cool site, Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast