Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up My SUBZERO hammock setup

Hey guys, here's how I'm setting up my rig for a " cracking cold" night below zero. The only thing I didn't set up was my Old Man Winter since even though it was windy , it was crystal clear and I wanted to still take in the amazing view through the vent in my XLC bugnet/winter cover mod. I did have an issue with my Burrow " bridging " but adding in my DIY Gore-tex heavyweight fleece TQ liner helped to minimize the effects. The digital thermometer in my pocket read 77° as an inside temp so I'd say I stayed plenty warm even though the " real feel" temp was well below the -10° rating of my quilts. I'll also post the companion vid to this one " My winter clothing options "

" The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hey Chesapeak,

Thanks for the videos. Really informational. I too, enjoy finding/using economy gear, instead of paying top dollar for name brand. Like you, though sometimes you have to obtain brand name gear i.e. your Patagonia Down Jacket and your Fred Asbell wool hoodie. It is funny but I have the same Asbell Hoodie and the Patagonia, synthetic version, of your Down Coat ( the Nano Puff Jacket. ) I love both pieces of clothing.

I have a question for you. Can you explain how the S Biners work? At 3:45 in your first video ( ....Sub Zero setup... ), you mentioned you lost your Ridgeline Quilt Hooks. How do you set up your S biners/Ridgeline Quilt hooks? Are they connected to the Ridgeline. If so how? What is their purpose? Can you point me to a video or tutorial or maybe take a few pics, to post how you configured those s biners?

Ive got the HG Econ Top and Bottom Quilts. As you know, they allow for adjustment on the Primary and the Secondary suspension. I am trying to figure out what the advantage of using your S biners or the " Ridgeline Quilt Hooks is/are.

Thank you again, in advance, for any and all help.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thanks for watching! The S biner in this case is just clipped to each side of the primary OVER the RL and winter cover. It does slide "aft" ( had to throw in a nautical term there lol) a little since there is tension on the shock cord once you get in the hammock, but it will still change the angle of fit drastically and help pull it up. Now, when I go netless I make a small prussik on the RL and clip one end of the S biner to it and both sides of the Primary to the other end. This will keep it from sliding down the RL and better keep the quilt locked in place on you feet. You can also do it on the head end as well for the same effect. It's hard to do on the XLC with the winter cover on since it gets in the way and I'm ( and in turn the head end of the UQ) is so far back towards the head end. But I can do it on a netless with no problems. Having both ends clipped up really makes it almost impossible for it to slide under or come off your feet and shoulder. Dutch sells the ridgeline quilt hooks : https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...e-quilt-hooks/ . If you buy an UQ from his site he throws in a pair for free, PLUS a pair of UQ hangers. They act like an S biner but keep the suspension in a better position by the way the shock cord is passed through it .https://dutchwaregear.com/product/quilt-hangers/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MG4wUGBh0I
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 02-04-2019 at 09:52.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'll post some pics here in a little bit of them on my DIY Argon.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Here's another add on to the first vid. I briefly show how I keep my suspension in place with a micro S biner. It can also be done netless and works better since its prussiked to the RL which keeps it from sliding down and changing the suspension angle. This simple trick will keep your UQ locked in place on your feet and shoulder and help pull the UQ up more against your backside. Let me know if you have any questions!

Chesapeak,

Thank you so much for video showing how to use the S biners on the Ridgeline, to lock the UQ in place. I also like the improvised hanging shelf you came up with. Lots of great info. Thanks again.

Bob

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Chesapeak,

Thank you so much for video showing how to use the S biners on the Ridgeline, to lock the UQ in place. I also like the improvised hanging shelf you came up with. Lots of great info. Thanks again.

Bob
    Welcome, hope it helps !

Hey Chesapeake,

Wanted to say thanks again. Watched your video and noticed how you modded your hammock stuff sack, into a a ridge line peak bag type thing. I did the same and it works very well. I like how when its stuffed, you just move the Prussik knot towards the center of the hammock, drawing the stuff sack closed while lifting it up, out of the way, parallel to the ridge line. Super slick idea! Ill be using this all the time now.

Been thinking also of incorporating how you used the ridge line quilt hooks. Not sure I need thismod now now but may need it in the future. I stacked some HG under quilts, last night, camping. They moved very little. Ill keep this idea in the back of my head though in case I run into problems, in the future.

Have a great weekend.

Bob

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Glad I could help Bob! Having the UQ clipped up really locks it in place tight and lifts it up even more. Let me know if you have any questions any time!

Will do.

Thanks again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast