Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup for kids

Setup for kids

I bought a cameleon wide this fall with a xenon hex tarp and now my 9 year old son wants to join me. He is almost 5ft tall and 110lbs And is okay sleeping alone. I am looking for a good budget setup for him with a hammock, Bugnet and tarp. He will be carrying his own gear so would like it to not weigh a ton As he is making a CDT quilt set that he also will carry. Any good ideas without breaking the bank that is still worth buying

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I would suggest continuing with the DIY process and work with him on making his own hammock, bugnet (fronkey style), and tarp if you have access to a sewing machine. The hammock and bugnet are only straight seams, just being careful with controlling the fabric. The tarp could be a little trickier, but can be handled when you gain experience with the other projects. If you find materials on sale, you could have all three for about $100-$125, depending on fabric choices.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Setup for kids

My son is 3 now, and I'm grooming him for some overnight hiking trips. I have a double-dutch setup to zip onto my own. I'm planning on using a single large winter tarp, but I haven't actually tried it with both hammocks yet. I figure when he's old enough to sleep on his own, I'll just need to get him a bugnet and a tarp.

I don't have his insulation figured out, but I keep stalking the FS forum...

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I would also suggest going DIY if you have the sewing machine and skills to do so. If not, then I would suggest to keep an eye on the FS area here, buy what you can and what you can't check out the vendors here to see who has reasonable prices on the items you need.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

I haven’t seen in over 20years since I was in middle school. I think my wife has a machine somewhere In storage. I think it’s a brothers brand. How fancy of a machine would I need? I told him the idea and he liked it. Although he also asked that he wants something better then anschool backpack to carry stuff in. Oh the fun has started

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'd check out the Henessey Cub : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hennessy-Ha...edirect=mobile

Or Scout :https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hennessy-Ha...edirect=mobile

Either of these would be perfect. The Scout is a little larger , which would be great for a growing boy. For an UQ, you could go with a short Incubator ,Pheonix or something a little less expensive like the Snugpak UQ or one from AHE. But for only $65 , I don't think you can go wrong with the Cub or Scout.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fmfdoc View Post
    I haven’t seen in over 20years since I was in middle school. I think my wife has a machine somewhere In storage. I think it’s a brothers brand. How fancy of a machine would I need? I told him the idea and he liked it. Although he also asked that he wants something better then anschool backpack to carry stuff in. Oh the fun has started
    You do not need a fancy machine -- just about any machine that works will do!
    See this thread for ideas...

Hammock
    My own custom made hammock
    Images
    I do make custom hammocks. I would like to talk more with you about it. My son is 6 and I just recently made him a double layered hammock for his room. He is about 4 feet and growing. The larger 10 foot hammocks I make weight about 12 oz. in the drawstring bag. UQ I did the costco quilt and seed the channels on. Next is a DIY tarp. But a good option for him would be his first custom hammock. If your interested I would like to help.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    You could make a DIY tablecloth hammock like shown here http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/2...ock-3-minutes/ . Costs lest than $10 and takes about 5 minutes. I made a couple for my young kids to try out.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    I love the tablecloth hammock approach, but it leaves you without an integrated/zippered bugnet, which is something I value highly, especially for younger kids. I don't see my 4 & 6 year olds being able to manipulate a fronkey-style net readily. Likewise for the cheap/Chinese add-on zippered nets that flood Amazon.

I'm trying to brainstorm a possible DIY zippered bugnet that follows the Dream Hammock Raven-style "partially zippered" convention. Looks complicated, though.

For a 9 year old, you have more flexibility, but a full DIY solution holds limited appeal when the Hennessy Cub/Scout are $70-90 new. That's chump change for what you're getting. (Plus, it could be that the Classic Hennessy entry could have extra appeal to shorter users.)

Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast