Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Perfect quilt set

Hello,

I have started to get more hammock gear and I was wondering what everyone thought would be a “complete quilt set”. My thinking is 40top/40bottom for summer, 30top/20bottom for spring/fall and 10top/0bottom for winter. Let me know what you think!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    There are other factors to consider- such as, are you a warm or cold sleeper? Also, are you going to be backpacking or car camping? If you sleep warm (like me), you'd probably be fine with a 20° top quilt in winter- depending on how low of temps you plan to be camping in. If you're primarily car camping, I'd suggest getting a 40° and 20° set, and just stack the underquilts (and possibly the top quilts too) when you plan to camp below 0°. Stacking quilts works great. The only downside is it takes up a lot more space in your pack, and adds weight that you may not want to carry if you're going to be backpacking.

Lastly, for summer, a 40° top quilt may be too hot (again, depends on how warm/cold you sleep). As a warm sleeper, I would go with a 50° top quilt. Or you can convert a Costco Down Throw to a top quilt on the cheap. This is what I use, and it is perfect for summer, and also provides a layering option with my 20° top quilt if I plan to go way below 0°.

Be honest with what temps you plan to camp in, what method of camping you intend to do, and how your body reacts to temperature- and you will be able to better hone in on what the "perfect" quilt setup is for you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I say a 20º and a 20º.
    At least for me it is almost perfect.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Depends on how warm you sleep and the weather you camp in. But what I recommend to my friends for an all round you can only have 1 set is: 10 bottom, 30 top+ a Costco down throw.
    I find bottom insulation more important and also easier to use a underquilt that’s too warm than a top quilt.
    10 degree with no overstuff isn’t too bad weight wise.
    Top quilt can easily be boosted using a Costco throw when needed. Pure summer the Costco quilt is fine by itself.

Images
    I’m with the Shug. 20/20 year round. Anything much colder than that requires some special planning anyway.

Welcome to the forums from another Michigander. There's lots of factors that need to be taken into account when deciding on the perfect quilt set. I get out year round, so I've been using a 0, 20, and 40 degree rated TQ and UQ. It didn't start out that way...at first I thought I'd be a summer/fall hanger, then it just took off from that to where I think winter is my favorite season.

If your just getting into it, you can't go wrong with a 20/20 set. I went deep in the rabbit hole of quilts since I wanted to do whatever I could to shave some weight off when backpacking.

If you can get out to a group hang, it's well worth it. Lots of gear to see and like minded people to meet. Fyi, Ludington hang is this weekend and Green Timbers is the last weekend of February.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    I sleep VERY cold. For summer, I have a 40° UQ and a Costco TQ. And for winter, a 0° UQ with a DIY TQ rated to warm (no idea) that I layer with afore mentioned Costco quilt. Works for me year round in Alabama, lower TN, and north GA.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I say a 20º and a 20º.
    At least for me it is almost perfect.
    Shug
    Me too. Even in Louisiana I stick with 20° sets, they are the most versatile temp rating. Sometimes I will carry a 40 topgquilt but I don't use it often.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a 40*, 20* and 0* set of quilts. Makes sense to me - I can combine quilts if it gets colder. I don't personally understand why you prefer a warmer UQ than the TQ - not part of my logic.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    If you could only have one I like a 20/20 as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast