Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Here are some pics of the secondary suspension using 3/4 Grosgrain 1.5" strips and Lineloc 3's.

The only reason I added them was to keep the quilt from having the accordion effect and wanting to shrink to the middle thereby shortening the quilt. You can accomplish the same thing with quilt hooks.

IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg

Here is a pic from the Frosty Butt Hang last weekend. It got down to 19° on Friday night and I had my summer quilt and winter quilt stacked. I stayed very comfortably warm until I got out at 6 am to water the leaves.

My Rig.jpg
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    DIY GE 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Another vote here for the fabric channels. I made a 5oz climashield one with the RSBTR kit and while it worked fine, getting the shock cord to slide through the grosgrain (either building or in use) was a royal pain in the rear.

If I make any more, I may still order the kits, but will putting the 1.5" grosgrain in the spare parts bin.

Okay, so I started all my cutting. I intended the outer and inner shell to be the same size, but I guess I screwed up my cuts.

Thankfully, my inner shell is the bigger one at about a 1/2" all the way around. I was thinking of cutting it a little larger anyway to allow a bit more loft. Anyone see any potential problems with this?

I'm about to get started cutting up my channels. Hopefully I don't screw that up

IMG_20190201_174832.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    No not an issue. It just means you reduced your seam allowance by whatever the difference is. Make sure you are squared up as possible. It's going to migrate around on you when you start sewing so the small mistakes here are going to get bigger as you go. The trick is too make real small mistakes or correct them asap at the start.

The first one is always a learning experience if you're not talented with a thread injector. Go slow, cut once measure twice blah blah you get the idea.

Remember the "Grandma Rule" - Well it shore ain't purdy but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    No not an issue. It just means you reduced your seam allowance by whatever the difference is. Make sure you are squared up as possible. It's going to migrate around on you when you start sewing so the small mistakes here are going to get bigger as you go. The trick is too make real small mistakes or correct them asap at the start.

The first one is always a learning experience if you're not talented with a thread injector. Go slow, cut once measure twice blah blah you get the idea.

Remember the "Grandma Rule" - Well it shore ain't purdy but it works.
    Ah! I think I see what you're saying.

See, I was thinking about bunching my inner she'll up some to have more fabric there to allow for more loft.

But you're saying I can essentially just see around it all within the same dimensions and come out how I'd originally planned it? That makes sense.

Thanks again for the advice! I'm not worried about pretty lol :-) I just want to be warm in the woods next weekend.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    If either layer is bigger, it makes sense for it to be the outer layer. The inner layer can be pulled up against you and allow the insulation to expand away from your body...

Well, I was cruising on this build until last night when I went to sew the insulation on. I appreciated everyone's suggestions and went ahead and sewed fabric channels all the way around.

MVIMG_20190203_154109.jpg

I didn't have enough shock cord to run through the side channels for my suspension. So I just setup my suspension through my lineloc 3's for now.

IMG_20190203_154113.jpg

Testing out the new hammock and underquilt combo. It was 60F yesterday, so not the coldest environment to try it out. I was pretty impressed though. I was nice and warm even without any top insulation. I'm still a little nervous about taking it down to low 20s but I'm trusting my research that this thing should be able to do it.

IMG_20190203_155036.jpg

Here's a bonus shot of my kiddo trying out his new green hammock.

MVIMG_20190203_154626.jpg

I made us both hammocks to practice sewing before I bit the bullet and made the UQ. It helped me some, but really that UQ was a chore. Especially when I was trying to attach that insulation.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Looks good to me. If you used 7.5 climashield it will take you to 10 deg if properly suspended.

And yes trying to keep the insulation from bunching up and migrating around is tough.

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by jgreenewv View Post
    Made one for my son using the RSBTR instructions, and it seems to work well. Making another right now for my daughter. I'm using fabric channels for a full-length suspension and using a modification of Jellyfish's boxed construction to allow for more loft. I'm interested to see if there's any noticeable difference between the two.
    Just an update, much yes for the fabric channels. However, I can't tell much difference between the boxed construction and RSBTR's sewn-through, but YMMV.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12