Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help building RSBTR Apex Underquilt [Dimensions quetion]

Hi everyone! I'm a new guy, I lurk here all the time, just haven't ever posted before. I've been using the serach function but haven't came across anyone with this question yet.

I sewed together a gathered end hammock that's about 58"W and 123"L (I'm 5' 11", ~230 lbs). Now I'm moving onto my underquilt following these instructions.

In those instructions they reccomend 46"x79" for the full length kit.

My questions are:

- Should both my outer layer and inner layer be the same dimensions or should I make my inner layer just a bit larger so I can increase the loft on my apex insulation? (I'm using 7.5 oz apex).
    - I'd like to make the UQ a tad wider, I'm fine with the length. Any concerns if I were to make it 55-58" wide? (roughly same width as my hammock).

That's really it for now. Thanks for reading! Look forward to talking with you all!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Following!

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I cut mine 48 x 84
    No differential
    Seems to work for me
    FWIW (another expert heard from!!!)

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    I am a bigger guy, just made one. 48” wide covers entire width of hammock when I’m in it. I have used jungle blanket 60” wide before. Jungle blanket made walls above sides of hammock, it was too wide. I wouldn’t make one more than 48-50, even for a big guy. Didn’t do I diff cut.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Troxy View Post
    these instructions.

In those instructions they reccomend 46"x79" for the full length kit.

My questions are:

- Should both my outer layer and inner layer be the same dimensions or should I make my inner layer just a bit larger so I can increase the loft on my apex insulation? (I'm using 7.5 oz apex).
    - I'd like to make the UQ a tad wider, I'm fine with the length. Any concerns if I were to make it 55-58" wide? (roughly same width as my hammock).
    I made my first summer quilt using those instructions. I am not crazy about this design. It works ok for a summer quilt but I would maybe look for a different idea for a 7.5 Climashield build. This design doesn't have a full length primary suspension. 7.5 climashield is going to be heavy and sag.

You should keep the dimensions of the top and bottom the same.
    Making it a little wider is ok but remember the wider the hammock the more tension required to get it up against the hammock bottom. Making it wider does not necessarily give it more coverage. It will just need to be hung higher. 46" to 48" is about right for an under quilt. Go look at the dims on the UGQ or Hammock Gear site.

I also had an issue with sewing the channels on the end to cinch the under quilt. Also this design uses only a secondary suspension.

I built a winter 10° under quilt with 7.5 in December. Take a look at Dutch's Climashield quilt here https://dutchwaregear.com/2016/06/09...ld-underquilt/

I really like the fabric channels rather than using Grosgrain. I modded this design and added a secondary suspension by simply attaching a 3/4 1.5" loop of Grosgrain and a lineloc 3 at each corner.

Take a look at my build here. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1941251

The biggest issue with Climashield is it is VERY bulky. If you plan on a 1" seam allowance I would add at least another 2" to account for the Climashield walking and bunching on you. If you want more loft and have excellent sewing skills like JellyFish you can box the corners. Unfortunately I don't have the skills she does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQVLGdTxHs&t=2052s
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    I really like the fabric channels rather than using Grosgrain.
    +1 on this suggestion. I made mine with the grosgrain end channels per the instructions but later went back and ripped them out and sewed fabric channels instead. It was a pain to re-do that step, so I'd suggest making them fabric the first time, not grosgrain.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Made one for my son using the RSBTR instructions, and it seems to work well. Making another right now for my daughter. I'm using fabric channels for a full-length suspension and using a modification of Jellyfish's boxed construction to allow for more loft. I'm interested to see if there's any noticeable difference between the two.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    While there is a slight difference from the inner to outer lengths I think most people ignore it and it works fine. If you did add any extra to the outer I would keep it to an inch or two at most. Like recommended i wouldn't go any wider either. I usually make mine about 44" and have gone smaller. That covers my shoulders and since I'm on the diagonal gives me one side with even higher coverage that i face into the wind to shield my face further. I don't think making it 55" would gain you anything other than extra weight and a harder time getting it setup right. I will also second and third the idea of doing full channels instead of little grosgrain tabs for the suspension lines. I've made several 3.6oz quilts for friends and family and even at this lighter weight felt the full channels provided a much better hang and ease of sealing up than my early grosgrain ones did. They are a bit more of a pain to sew than the tabs but worth the hassle imho.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    I made my first summer quilt using those instructions. I am not crazy about this design. It works ok for a summer quilt but I would maybe look for a different idea for a 7.5 Climashield build. This design doesn't have a full length primary suspension. 7.5 climashield is going to be heavy and sag.

You should keep the dimensions of the top and bottom the same.
    Making it a little wider is ok but remember the wider the hammock the more tension required to get it up against the hammock bottom. Making it wider does not necessarily give it more coverage. It will just need to be hung higher. 46" to 48" is about right for an under quilt. Go look at the dims on the UGQ or Hammock Gear site.

I also had an issue with sewing the channels on the end to cinch the under quilt. Also this design uses only a secondary suspension.

I built a winter 10° under quilt with 7.5 in December. Take a look at Dutch's Climashield quilt here https://dutchwaregear.com/2016/06/09...ld-underquilt/

I really like the fabric channels rather than using Grosgrain. I modded this design and added a secondary suspension by simply attaching a 3/4 1.5" loop of Grosgrain and a lineloc 3 at each corner.

Take a look at my build here. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1941251

The biggest issue with Climashield is it is VERY bulky. If you plan on a 1" seam allowance I would add at least another 2" to account for the Climashield walking and bunching on you. If you want more loft and have excellent sewing skills like JellyFish you can box the corners. Unfortunately I don't have the skills she does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQVLGdTxHs&t=2052s
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I was worried about having enough fabric to do the ripstop channels initially, but if I reduce the width I should be able to make this work. I definitley like the Dutch Wear plans more. Wish I'd seen that before I bought this RSBTR kit. Still got good stuff, but I don't have the extra shock cord on hand and need this ready to roll by next Wednesday. Maybe I could do a compromise, where I go ahead with the fabric channels but have a secondary suspension on the ends like RSBTR suggests... Actually, now that I'm thinking about it this is almost exactly what you said you did with the Grosgrain and lineloc 3 at each corner.

That boxed quilt is awesome. I've seen her posts and I definitley don't think I've got what it takes yet.

Awesome post man, I think I have a real plan now! Much appreciated!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Agree that fabric channels are the way to go. I've built three UQ from RSBTR kits, but hated the grosgrain channels because they were too stiff. Built all three with full suspensions using fabric channels. Much better design IMHO.

If you have an outfitter store close by, you may be able to pick up the lineloc 3 and shock cord although it will be more expensive than from DW or RSBTR.

Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast