Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DD 3.5 x 3.5 Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Economy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie-sling

Best 12' x 12' Silpoly Tarp

I have been looking everywhere for a tarp with less stretch than my Chinook 12' x 9.6' silnylon tarp. It has stretched so much that it doesn't fold into normal rectangles/ square (Almost Cat cut edges now....). Not to mention always having to tighten and re-tighten it.....

I'm looking for a 12'x12' silpoly tarp (or something with similar "little stretch" properties), preferably camo, for "stealth" camping. Preferably not too heavy. Also before all of you say "that's way too big", the reason why I need it so big is because I'm 6'5" and my hammock is about 9' even with a ridge-line. It will be used every now and again for 2 hammocks as well. I will be using it for ground camping, car camping, hammock camping and just all around camp use.

I have found DD Tarps but haven't heard anything about them. I am open to custom work if it doesn't cost too much too.

Any opinions and comments are much appreciated.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You should contact Jarred at http://simplylightdesigns.com as he's lightning fast and makes excellent tarps. A 12' long isn't an issue but 12' wide may be an issue.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DD 3.5 x 3.5 Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Economy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie-sling
    Yeah, I actually just spoke with him. His price seems a little steep. And agreed the 12 wide is something that i will most likely have to compromise.....

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    I'm not criticizing, Xackman, but, '...steep...', reminds me of the familiar saying, 'You get what you pay for.'

This man's craftsmanship, and turn around time is worth every penny he asks for on a product, or project. If anybody were able to deliver what you want I'd be confident, Jared would be your man.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    I'm not criticizing, Xackman, but, '...steep...', reminds me of the familiar saying, 'You get what you pay for.'

This man's craftsmanship, and turn around time is worth every penny he asks for on a product, or project. If anybody were able to deliver what you want I'd be confident, Jared would be your man.
    I totally agree with this. My dealings with Jared since he opened for business have always been pleasant on the multitude of stock and custom items I've purchased or helped develop with him. In fact, sometimes I think he's underpriced for the quality of goods he turns out.

You may want to even look at a 13 foot ridgeline with extra wide fabric, given the size requirements. I'm kind of blown away by the idea of being 6' 5" using a 9 foot hammock. I would think a 11 or even a 12 foot hammock would be a better option to explore.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    That’s his ridgeline. It’s probably an 11’ hammock. At that height I would consider bigger as well just to try. I’m 5-11 and I like smaller hammocks better than larger so maybe he is the same.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I totally agree with this. My dealings with Jared since he opened for business have always been pleasant on the multitude of stock and custom items I've purchased or helped develop with him. In fact, sometimes I think he's underpriced for the quality of goods he turns out.

You may want to even look at a 13 foot ridgeline with extra wide fabric, given the size requirements. I'm kind of blown away by the idea of being 6' 5" using a 9 foot hammock. I would think a 11 or even a 12 foot hammock would be a better option to explore.
    Jared is one of the best in the industry BY FAR. I respect him to the utmost and am continually impressed by his work ethic and designs. The first hammock related item I ever bought was from SLD.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My SLD Winter Haven is just shy of 11.5' wide (Silpoly XL). Real nice width to get close to the ground and block wind/snow.

I went with a 12' ridegline, which I was surprised to see how limiting that can be. It really shrinks the distance between trees! It's fine, but any more and I wouldn't see any benefit because of that.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    If your looking for an inexpensive 12x12 tarp the Kelty Noah's 12 is often on sale for around $50. It is $50 at REI right now. It is not a very light tarp though.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DD 3.5 x 3.5 Tarp
    Insulation
    HG Economy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie-sling
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post

No doubt that he makes quality products! I have multiple pieces of gear from him. I just can't see my self spending $200+ or a tarp.......... And BananaHammock, you are correct. My hammock is 11' and the Hammock ridge-line is about 9'. Sorry, I guess i should have specified better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast