Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap Tarp choice

I come you with a question. I have a 12 ft tree runner hammock. I am in need of a tarp. My question is this...can I use a vinyl blue tarp from Walmart or the like and if so what size would I need. This would be for car camping only, but really don't have the money to throw down on a nice tarp. My goal is to own a sld Winter Haven before next hunting season, but for now just need something to keep me out of the rain. Thanks all

Check the offered measurements first, but I got an 11’ Chill Gorilla tarp from amazon or ebay for really really cheap, and it is actually a really nice tarp with all the spikes and guy lines you need. Much less bulky than a blue tarp from Walmart, which I used and hated. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Totally. They don’t have a grommet in the center so it may be longer on one side. A 10X12 at Lowe’s will work. 12’ tarp easily covers 12’ hammock
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    A really nice inexspensive hex shaped hammock tarp is the ProVenture. It is 12' long for full coverage. It is only $30 on amazon, about $9 less than the Chill Gorilla for the same basic tarp, I have both. Here is a link to a review of the ProVenture on this site: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=proventure

Here is the amazon link if desired: https://www.amazon.com/d/Camping-Ten...roventure+tarp

For not much more than the cost of the blue tarps you'll have a nice rip-stop nylon tarp.

My opinion for what it's worth.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would go with some of the less expensive recommendations others have mentioned and skip the Walmart tarp. The grommets on those always rip and for just a little more money you’ll have a tarp that is lighter, less bulky, more easily repaired and will last longer.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I have an Aqua Quest , Chill Gorilla and a DD tarp. All are good. If weight does not matter I recommend the DD tarp XL that way you can have doors on it as well.
    Dave

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Kelty Noah's 12 is a proven tarp for $50 most of the time.

Thank you all so much. Now I've got to research each and see. If you can think of any others, fire away.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I would go with some of the less expensive recommendations others have mentioned and skip the Walmart tarp. The grommets on those always rip and for just a little more money you’ll have a tarp that is lighter, less bulky, more easily repaired and will last longer.
    agreed, I've never had one last more than a couple nights.

I love the Kelty 12', bullet proof, but the cat cuts make it less than 12' at the centers. You could use the tie outs that are between the corner and center. Heres a video I did to demonstrate:

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The previous recommendations are very good for longer term solutions, but don't completely discount the poly tarps quite yet.

I used a 12x10 tarp from Northern Tool & Equipment to get started a few years back. They are made be Ironton and come in a 2-pack currently on sale for $6 (https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6387_200596387). I still use these for loaners and shelter for common area gatherings when car camping. I have back-packed on 3 and 4 day trips with these, although not ideal. Yes, the grommets will eventually tear, but I have about 20 nights over a 3-year span on one of them and the grommets have not torn through yet (knock on wood).

If you have access to a sewing machine, you can sew loops at points around the perimeter to avoid the grommet issue altogether. On one of the tarps, I sewed loops at the midway point on all four sides so I can have a 10 ft. ridgeline or 12 ft. ridgeline and I sewed loops on all four corners to guy it out. It strings up and guys out just like any other tarp with no grommets to worry about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast