Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ

Question Setting up a tarp in high-wind and sub-zero temps

So we officially had -2F here in Buffalo, along with 20 MPH winds, so I decided to try a tarp setup in the back yard just to get an idea of how bad it would be.

Verdict: Better and worse than I expected.

So the tarp is a RSBTR DIY Winter 12 foot, with two main upgrades; a standing grosgrain hem on the top, like my MambaJamba, and a internal pole mod. I have no ridgeline hardware and just use a truckers hitch for tension. I also have no hardware on the tie-outs, just a marlin spike hitch around the stake. We have about two feet of snow, ad the ground is frozen pretty solid.

Worse: Finger warmth. I have wool finger-less gloves with the flap mitten cover, but those little piggies FROZE. Not sure if there is anything that can be done in these conditions, but this was the biggest slowdown to my progress. I need to rethink the hardware strategy, especially on the tie-outs.

Better: The pole mod. My first tarp with the internal pole, and WOW. Total game-changer in high winds. I used carbon fiber poles from Quest Outfitters and the entire pole is less than 3 ounces.

Better: Wind Blocking. Spent some extra time with a shovel and built up a wall under the tarp edges. I still do not have a very good way to seal the doors, but once the majority of wind could not get under the tarp, most of the stress on the tarp from wind gusts was eliminated.

Worse: Everything to do with the corner tie-outs. This is a function of the finger warmth issue, and no hardware, but wow, that was miserable. Any adjustments on the tarp tension was a re-stake or a re-tie, and both were undesireable.

What do you winter pros do to mitigate these issues?

IMG_3296[1].jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSitter View Post
    So we officially had -2F here in Buffalo, along with 20 MPH winds, so I decided to try a tarp setup in the back yard just to get an idea of how bad it would be.

Verdict: Better and worse than I expected.

So the tarp is a RSBTR DIY Winter 12 foot, with two main upgrades; a standing grosgrain hem on the top, like my MambaJamba, and a internal pole mod. I have no ridgeline hardware and just use a truckers hitch for tension. I also have no hardware on the tie-outs, just a marlin spike hitch around the stake. We have about two feet of snow, ad the ground is frozen pretty solid.

Worse: Finger warmth. I have wool finger-less gloves with the flap mitten cover, but those little piggies FROZE. Not sure if there is anything that can be done in these conditions, but this was the biggest slowdown to my progress. I need to rethink the hardware strategy, especially on the tie-outs.

Better: The pole mod. My first tarp with the internal pole, and WOW. Total game-changer in high winds. I used carbon fiber poles from Quest Outfitters and the entire pole is less than 3 ounces.

Better: Wind Blocking. Spent some extra time with a shovel and built up a wall under the tarp edges. I still do not have a very good way to seal the doors, but once the majority of wind could not get under the tarp, most of the stress on the tarp from wind gusts was eliminated.

Worse: Everything to do with the corner tie-outs. This is a function of the finger warmth issue, and no hardware, but wow, that was miserable. Any adjustments on the tarp tension was a re-stake or a re-tie, and both were undesireable.

What do you winter pros do to mitigate these issues?

IMG_3296[1].jpg
    I use thin Minus 33 gloves with full fingers in sub 0º for tarps pitching.

Staking out I use the old Shane style tie out and use snow stakes.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Great analysis and thanks for sharing your learning points! I find deadman anchors the best in the snow along with an adjustable tie out like a Lineloc3... The deadman's wont budge if you allow them to set for a short time in the snow before adding the pressure and tensioning the lines. This can all be done with your gloves on. Good for you for getting out and trying this stuff!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm not a fan of hardware but I've seen a few guys add short loops with prussic's at the tarp edge then just lark's head the lines to the stakes (or just use a loop). This allows you to adjust the tension from beneath the tarp (wow that would be super handy in a downpour). Most of my tarp lines are some "Atwood MicroCord" rated at a little over 100lbs.

I did the double pole mod. It feels like some kind of Conestoga wagon crossing the prairie under there.....

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    At those temps and winds, you have to go for a mountaineering tent. Out of the range of hammocks at that point.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You are awesome Shug. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the reminder Shug.
    Forgot about your stake setup.

Agree about the mountaineering tent if you really need to be out in that....why?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    At those temps and winds, you have to go for a mountaineering tent. Out of the range of hammocks at that point.
    Good point, but I can't remember who I gave my tent to, it has been so long ago.

An idea on the wind here is to use a barrier tarp to block most of the wind, if a more sheltered location is not available. As for the freezing fingers, better thought out suspension connections are possible, but inspite of all possible obsessive over thought, unforseen problems are just going to happen.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    Not at all. Shug has a video at -40 and I hung in -30 just last night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast