Indoor hanging advice for child's hammock

Our two kids want hammocks instead of beds. We are new to the world of indoor hammocks. We will use our oldest, our 9 year old son, as our guinea pig () --and if it goes well we will transition our 7 year old daughter into one as well. Our 9 year old is tall for his age and already weighs close to 100 pounds. He has a relatively small room - the longest distance is 13 feet from one corner of the room to the other.

We are thinking of getting him the Viviere double hammock (in cotton). It's 12 feet long. Any reasons why this is not a good choice? Initially we were leaning towards a camping style hammock (Kammock or ENO), but after reading many comments on here that said cotton is more comfortable for a permanent indoor hammock, we are thinking the Viviere (and for our petite daughter, we are thinking maybe the shorter hammock from La Siesta). But... should we get shorter hammocks since they are kids... is more length always better or can something be too long? And how long does a hammock last (will we be buying them new hammocks in a year or two anyways?)

Any comments, advice, or hanging tips are much appreciated! Thank you 😊

Hammock
    11' Raven (DH)
    Tarp
    12' Batona (LLG)
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ (LLG)
    Suspension
    Whoopie/1.5 Spider
    Kids typically don't take care of their stuff like an adult that paid for it does. Cotton will absorb more dirt, sweat, sucker stains...who knows, than ripstop will and have a far lower tensile strength. Noone wants to rush the little one to the emergency room at 2am for a busted tailbone. U know they'll be playing in it, bouncing around. You'll also have to launder cotton far more frequently which will degrade it's durability. I'd steer clear of cotton. I'm 6'4" w/ an 11' hammock. 12' for a child seems excessive unless 2 r sharing it.

Check out theultimatehang.com for some tips on indoor hanging and reviews of some specific cotton hammocks. Here's a couple of links to get started:

http://theultimatehang.com/?s=cotton+hammock

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/3...mmock-indoors/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My 12yo daughter hangs full time in her bedroom. My wife got her a cheap hammock from Walmart and she uses a spare UQ that I had and just one of her blankets. For attachments, I picked up a set of the wall anchors from Dutchware. She loves it, been sleeping there for about 4 months now.

• + New Posts